upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Isle royale  (Read 2356 times)

scrimshaw

• View Profile
Isle royale
« on: May 20, 2016, 08:42:09 AM »

I will be putting  my boat on the Ranger the second week of June for 4-5 days of fishing around Isle royale
 .  Has anyone ever been there ? I was hoping for some tips or insight . Thanks for any help.

Tin Lizzy

• View Profile
Re: Isle royale
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 07:00:23 PM »

If you plan on bobbing, usually the fish are fairly deep that early. 175-275 f.o.w.  You will have to do some scouting with your electronics to find fish.  There is a lot of structure out there, you just have to find some with fish on it.  Trolling, same thing with electronics.  The fish can be anywhere from 15- 200 f.o.w.  The wind will also dictate where you will end up fishing.  Be careful while driving, there are many reefs that come up to a couple of feet below the surface, and can ruin your day in a hurry.  Study charts and have some kind of a map in your gps.  The maps are not the most accurate for that area, but they are better than nothing.  Rock Harbor can produce some nice fish trolling, but the numbers usually aren't overwhelming. 
Rod

scrimshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 02:30:03 PM »

I am going to bring trolling stuff, a couple of mid weight spinning , and a couple muskie rods(looking for big northern)  . Gps has the lake master ,  I am going to grab a chart also, But  I won't trust them completely.

Tin Lizzy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 10:26:34 PM »

Depending on how far you want to go, Duncan Bay or Chippewa Harbor can each have some big pike in them.  Duncan would be closer to Rock Harbor.  You could also troll the bay heading into Duncan for lakers, from the Palisades to the Duncan Narrows, I have trolled there numerous times when the wind was blowing too hard from the South- South/East.   I use the Navionics Gold card.
Rod

always gone

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 11:50:04 PM »

You will have lots of fun...regardless if the fishing is good or not.
Adam Petrelius

LoonASea

• New Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 07:41:33 PM »

Ok where does one put their boat in since there are no wheeled devices allowed on Isle Royale ,,,Is you boat loaded on a cradle and unloaded via crane??? Inquiring minds want to know

Tin Lizzy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2016, 09:20:04 PM »

The NPS Ranger III has a crane that will lift up to around a 24 ft boat at the headquarters in Houghton.  They unload it at Rock Harbor.  Boats sit on cradles on the Ranger.
Rod

LoonASea

• New Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2016, 06:30:41 AM »

Thanks ,,,,Good to know

scrimshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2016, 07:01:30 PM »

Great time in Isle royale. Site seeing . Caught some 40plus inch northern, 15 pound plus, lake trout, .  Weather was chilly, but nice with a fire and a glass of whiskey. would catch about 4 lakers per hour of trolling, spoons and body baits.  Would go back again, great experience.