upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Trolling in cross-wind or cross-current?  (Read 3428 times)

larboc

• View Profile
Trolling in cross-wind or cross-current?
« on: June 13, 2016, 11:53:31 PM »

Any tips or tricks on keeping a tall boat pointed in the direction of travel? The cabin on my boat tends to catch the wind and it makes it nearly impossible to troll in much of a cross wind and keep the boat pointed straight. Going straight the lines are off to the windward side making it tough to get the inner lines down without making a sweeping turn. Turning into the wind without crossing lines up is a real PITA and takes up a lot of time in a less than ideal area. Ideally I'd troll straight into or with the wind but sometimes the fish dictate otherwise.

I need to be able to crab I guess. I was wondering if there were such a thing as a bow rudder? I think a bow thruster would tax the charging system if it was running all day. Would trim tabs help much? I feel like a drift sock would get in the way.

Newb question I'm sure, but I'm looking for any suggestions! Thanks!
11' starcraft "NoKanDoo"
16' Invader tri-hull "Spirit of Dan Seavey"
22' Cruisers Mackinac, "The Green Machine"
Homeport-Painesdale, MI

Chesapeake

• View Profile
Re: Trolling in cross-wind or cross-current?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 04:18:45 PM »

Try a trolling bag off the bow cleat on the upwind side. Secure the rear of the bag to the Stern cleat. That's should help. I sometimes use up to four bags to slow down enough with a big wind to walleye speeds. Never been a huge problem.

larboc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 10:13:27 AM »

I don't have trolling bags but I tried a 5 gallon bucket briefly on sunday. Might have helped a little but it kept banging off the side of the boat and caused concerns when landing fish. I'll try to make up a trolling bag out of a feed sack this week and see if that works better. It was one more thing to mess with and we were doing a good enough job tying our rigger lines together this weekend that we ended up just going with or against the wind and pulling everything up to make the turn. Despite the tangles, wind, and lost fish we were still able to get 9 3-5 lb leans in.
11' starcraft "NoKanDoo"
Homeport-Painesdale, MI

MikeM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 11:27:05 AM »

What are you using for down rigger weights?

larboc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 01:55:29 PM »

What are you using for down rigger weights?

outer lines have 8lb fish shaped with a slight tail bend to get them out farther and inners are 6lb plain balls. The tangle happened when I was trying to turn and the sideslip compounded the problem. Mostly caused by me turning too fast. Never had an issue in 4+ years of trolling till sunday, the odds were just against us sunday though. The stop slipped on the port side inner rigger and the ball bounced off the swim platform right into the prop. Got stuck between the prop and lower unit and killed the motor. Somehow the ball took the brunt of the damage and after chiseling away lead for 20 mins I got it out. Prop lost a little paint, that was it.
11' starcraft "NoKanDoo"
Homeport-Painesdale, MI

SnIpEr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 02:57:26 PM »

Way too light of weights. My lightest are 12 and heaviest are 16lb

fishmunkee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 09:11:57 AM »

Like Sniper said use heavier balls. Also be careful in the future as losing power in some mid to heavy seas is a recipe for disaster.
Tim Hauser
Home - Lake Wisconsin
Lake Michigan - Milwaukee
Lake Superior - Ontonagon

Scale Chaser

• View Profile
    • Finn Tackle Company
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 04:25:10 PM »

Exactly.  Most electric downriggers will handle pulling up a 12lb ball.  Check to make sure yours will handle a 16lber without burning them up.
Capt. Brad Muscoe
Marquette, MI
Boat Name: Ella Bella
www.finnspoons.com
Please "Like" us at
http://www.facebook.com/FinnTackleCompany

larboc

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 08:33:14 AM »

Exactly.  Most electric downriggers will handle pulling up a 12lb ball.  Check to make sure yours will handle a 16lber without burning them up.

No electrics, too slow. I have Proos manuals

I'll have to weigh mine to make sure I told you correctly but I think that's right. I will have to make up a larger mold, hit up the tire shop, and make some heavier ones. What shape is best?
11' starcraft "NoKanDoo"
Homeport-Painesdale, MI

MikeM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 09:58:18 AM »

Electrics too slow? There may be lots of reasons to run manuals, but I am doubting speed is one of them. 

larboc

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 10:57:43 AM »

I've never used an electric, but I'm guessing hand cranking up mine are at least twice as fast as an electric. 3 revs per second and 2 feet per rev. Going down I doubt there is a difference since electrics can free fall?

Maybe speed isn't that big of an issue most of the time, but I've been told by others that electrics are too slow in situations where you're trying to get up and back down in a hurry.

The biggest reason I think my manuals are better than electrics is that I already have them!
11' starcraft "NoKanDoo"
Homeport-Painesdale, MI

SnIpEr

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2016, 11:20:45 AM »

Ahhh if you can hand crank a 16 lb ball from 200 feet down as fast as my riggers go I'll shake your hand. If you don't rip my arm off that is

MikeM

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2016, 11:29:05 AM »

Your last sentence makes the most sense.

I have never had to wait for my down rigger weight to come up. Fish hits, grab the rod, hit the button on the rigger. Weight is ready to go back down before you land the fish. Want to change lure, same thing release the line, hit the button, weight is up and ready to go back down long before you are.

As for actual speeds? I do not know the answer to that. Put a 16 lb weight down 200 feet and see who gets to the top first. I think I would have to put my money on my Scotties.

YooperTroll

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2016, 06:37:09 PM »

I've tried all shapes and size weights. In my opinion I like a weight as round as possible. I never hook my release to the weight but just above it. Torpedo weights work great but are pricey and if you drag bottom for Lakers they aren't that great. I always run 12 lb weights. I could run my cannon electric downriggers to the bottom in 200 ft of water and back up twice before anyone could do it once with a manual.
Luck favors the prepared

larboc

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2016, 09:46:26 AM »

I've tried all shapes and size weights. In my opinion I like a weight as round as possible. I never hook my release to the weight but just above it. Torpedo weights work great but are pricey and if you drag bottom for Lakers they aren't that great. I always run 12 lb weights. I could run my cannon electric downriggers to the bottom in 200 ft of water and back up twice before anyone could do it once with a manual.

Did you modify them? Their website shows the fastest ones stock at 250 fps. We can get our manual ones up at around 400 feet per second if we need to. (3+ revs per second, 2 feet per rev).
11' starcraft "NoKanDoo"
Homeport-Painesdale, MI
Pages: [1] 2