upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: north entry  (Read 1483 times)

Steve k.

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
north entry
« on: July 09, 2016, 09:27:44 PM »

Was thinking about trying to fish out of north entry Tomorrow and was looking for some pointers on where to go. I was told that is was like the dead sea outthere with no fish to be found.

larboc

• View Profile
Re: north entry
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 07:49:44 AM »

Probably not going to find a whole lot of north shore info on here, mostly marquette area fisherman, but there are a couple.

I haven't fished it this year yet just because my opportunities to go are so few and far between that I just go straight for where I know I'll get plenty of fish and we can take 5 per angler instead of 3, but I know guys who have picked up a few fish in the evenings out of north entry.
In the past few years I've picked up a few lake trout and coho in the scum line there, never great catches or big fish but usually found a fish or two. I think if I spent more time there learning the 3 mile reef I'd do better. I've heard the eagle harbor thermocline is well formed and producing right now so I'm guessing it should be reachable out of north entry as well.
I've marked a lot of fish on the bottom just outside of breakers beach in 20-40 FOW but never had them bite to find out what they were.

Be really careful with downriggers out there, it's a popular spot for indians to dump old nets and lines.

Seen a lot of people out there trolling dipsies for coho before just outside the breakwall, but not sure where they will be there this year.

I have a theory that there should be splake in the rocks in front of breakers beach early in the spring but have never tried it. The rocks on the bottom just look really "splakey".

11' starcraft "NoKanDoo"
16' Invader tri-hull "Spirit of Dan Seavey"
22' Cruisers Mackinac, "The Green Machine"
Homeport-Painesdale, MI

BudFan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 12:18:24 PM »

I did try there yesterday. Fished in 60 to 160 fow. Must have been off that reef about 3 miles out. Caught 3 Lakers threw one back. All bites were on riggers and dipsys, none of the board got touched. Only marked a couple fish. There was a net flag east or the pier around 70 fow. I only try there once or twice a year. Never caught very many, but usually a few.

larboc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 02:35:52 PM »

One thing I did notice is lakers seem to hang around specific areas so use your GPS. We caught 3 there one night over the course of about 2 hours of fishing and they were all within about 50 feet of each other on the GPS and quite a bit of time apart.
11' starcraft "NoKanDoo"
Homeport-Painesdale, MI

Steve k.

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 06:46:46 PM »

I did not make it out the other day but it is the fastest place to lunch. I will be out there if time allows maybe better when the Salmon come in in the fall

larboc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 11:17:42 PM »

I did not make it out the other day but it is the fastest place to lunch. I will be out there if time allows maybe better when the Salmon come in in the fall

I hope to make it out there in the next week or two. It's the quickest place for me as well, only a few miles from home. Wish the fishing was as good as other places farther away.
If you're launching on the hancock side and have a little larger boat be aware that the launch is getting silted in pretty bad. I have to back up till my front tires are wet to get out of there if the trailer tires don't find a rut and sink into the silt. Usually pitches the trailer further making it a pita. Report back, I'd really like to figure it out. Would save a whole lot of time.
11' starcraft "NoKanDoo"
Homeport-Painesdale, MI

Steve k.

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 06:18:00 PM »

Yeah I am on the Houghton side nice new launch there only used it once last year