upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Net penning in Marquette?  (Read 714 times)

highline

• View Profile
    • Email
Net penning in Marquette?
« on: April 30, 2017, 10:11:53 AM »

Will we be getting net penning in Marquette this year?
Anyone have any news?
I was out of town for the spring meeting if this was a topic.

Dan
Dan Audette
boat name:Highline
Homeport:Marquette,MI
moonshine lures prostaff www.moonshinelures.com

Steel249er

• New Guy
    • View Profile
Re: Net penning in Marquette?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 11:09:47 AM »

Dan the last I heard is there will be no more net penning!

andya12420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 12:52:31 PM »

Chinook planting in Lake Superior has been stopped by the DNR. We invited George Madison to our Spring meeting but he declined the invitation. I also inquired about steelhead or other species net penning but got the it's doesn't benifit  other species answer. So the short answer is no more net penning as of right now. We will be looking  into other options in the future.

Thanks
Andy
Andy Allan
Boat Name: Hydro Hooker

Legend

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 07:40:27 AM »

Wonder what species he was talking about......the cohos and browns that they plant?
This natural reproduction fishing is getting pretty old!
The Legend
Randy Wetton
COYOTE FEVER FOLKS... EVERYBODY GETS IT!!!!

Dire Wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 04:44:57 AM »

Smelt biomass has taken a significant dip in recent years, largely because adult age-class abundance has declined...lots of juveniles from multiple year classes around, but a declining volume of spawning adults.  Sound familiar?

Couple this with the lack of a significant herring spawn event success,and the "kids" are getting nervous about providing adequate long-term forage for lake trout.

Bad Habit

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 08:16:57 AM »

Smelt biomass has taken a significant dip in recent years, largely because adult age-class abundance has declined...lots of juveniles from multiple year classes around, but a declining volume of spawning adults.  Sound familiar?

Couple this with the lack of a significant herring spawn event success,and the "kids" are getting nervous about providing adequate long-term forage for lake trout.

Not disagreeing by any means, but why is smelting the best I've seen in 36 years?  And a lot of very large smelt mixed in.
Nathaniel Kudwa
Boat Name: "Bad Habit"
Crystal Falls, MI
www.eyeflies.com
www.finnspoons.com

Dire Wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 09:23:12 AM »

As I said, numbers are good, but the inshore lean lake trout stock has taken-out a big chunk of the large adult stock component, lowering total biomass when comparing 2011 and 2016 numbers and biomass lakewide values. Chinook and lean lake trout compete head-to-head for smelt and Mysis diluviana.

Since Jim Dexter missed his opportunity to save the alewife stock in Lake Michigan by failing to expand the chinook cut in 2007 and shift to a three year assessment interval; and again in 2012 by failing go to a multi-species stocking reduction, which begrudgingly is occurring this year, the age structure of the the adult alewife stock component has declined to one made-up of the 2014 year-class. EVERYTHING is dependent on whether these fish hit a "home run"!  He is far more focused on maintaining lake trout stocks in number in Lake Superior.

Redrover

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 09:39:15 AM »

I agree,

With all the netting going on, lake trout stocks are being hit hard and the number of smelt east to west on superior seems to be annecdotally up and coud be an early indicator. Lots of bait and lower laker numbers are what brought on the salmon planting of the eighties.

It could be the only solution left soon.....