upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Straits  (Read 2646 times)

Steeliebob

• View Profile
    • Email
Straits
« on: July 11, 2014, 10:33:47 AM »

Going out tonight and tomorrow night to hit Graham Shoal and Major Shoal for trout and salmon. My guess is that the salmon are hanging out in that area and more than likely in the upper 50 fow. We will rig a couple of poles for lake trout so that we don't get skunked. I will post the results. So far this summer not many people have been out fishing in the straits.

UP POWER

• View Profile
Re: Straits
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 11:16:24 AM »

I may see you around there Bob.  I'm hoping to get over there Saturday, probably in the evening.  Might have to hide on the back side it looks like, but I like fishing back there anyway.  good luck.  i'll be on ch.68, "Twister's Sister"
Adam Rahilly
"Twister's Sister" Wellcraft 240 Coastal

play dough

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 12:54:13 PM »

I won't get out tonight, but should be doing a little prospecting tomorrow morning.
Jim Schantz
Slip 26
Manistee Municipal Marina

UP POWER

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 04:44:44 PM »

I won't get out tonight, but should be doing a little prospecting tomorrow morning.

That is when the warden said I get to go also.  I will be there before daylight.  Good luck and don't be afraid to give me a shout.
Adam Rahilly

play dough

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 11:41:28 AM »

Started at about 5am a little east of the Graham shoal marker.  Actually marked a couple fish going north through there in about 80' of water down 40' or so.  Trolled northerly and had a rigger bite 50' down on a Mongolian Beef mag Moonshine.  It was a salmon/steelhead.  Jumped a couple times, got near the lead core board and was gone.  Trolled north across to the island and circled the island in anything from 100' to 180' with no other action other than a small laker east of the island. Temp break is about 50' down.  Water is near 60° on the surface.  Based on what I experienced, I should have stayed in the area that I started in.

As a side note, I learned the sub-troll probe doesn't register accurate temperature running inverted.  It's a long story, but all is well now.
Jim Schantz
Slip 26

UP POWER

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 08:21:18 AM »

I was on the water right at 5.  Started along the bank near the Grand in 80-110 fow.  Marked a couple real nice hooks as I was setting lines.  No takes.  Back through the same stretch twice more, no marks even.  Moved twice through the morning and never marked another fish.  Did get 2 small lakers east of the island.  Didn't sound like much on the radio, and every boat I saw moved around a bunch. 
Adam Rahilly

Steeliebob

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 08:51:45 AM »

Went out Sat eve about 5:30 started at Graham shoal and went North to the power station then back to Graham shoal. Did not mark anything to get excited about so we took the reef over to the W side of the island and marked a few nice fish there. Everything had lock jaw, no takers so we went home with the skunk

Steeliebob

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 09:37:52 AM »

Was out last night by the south bridge tower only got one lake trout no salmon and no other hits. One boat caught 3 fishing about a mile west of the bridge. There is 2 boats out now fishing the cut w/s of the island

play dough

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 10:35:57 AM »

I've seen a white buoy near the green channel marker west of the south tower.  I'm guessing that's a buoy for a commercial net? 
Jim Schantz
Slip 26

elkyholic

• New Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 11:44:04 PM »

pretty sure those are dive buoys for wrecks

play dough

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 06:17:01 AM »

pretty sure those are dive buoys for wrecks

OK, that makes sense.  I saw the buoy and was looking for another to get the orientation of a net and never saw anything else so just avoided the general area.  Now that you mention the dive thing, I know there's a group or two that go out to the city marina nearly every day.

Looking forward to another king search in the Straits tomorrow.
Jim Schantz
Slip 26

DooFighter

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 07:47:16 AM »

Glad to see you on the site play dough.  Welcome.  We appreciate the reports too.

I love fishing the straits, its beautiful over there.  What's more cool than fishing near the mighty Mac?

play dough

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2014, 01:45:36 PM »

What's more cool than fishing near the mighty Mac?

Catching near the mighty Mac? 
Jim Schantz
Slip 26

DooFighter

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2014, 03:31:10 PM »

What's more cool than fishing near the mighty Mac?

Catching near the mighty Mac? 

Ya got me there, that would be better.  Had a good night out there last June in the channel on east side, water like glass, catching fish...I'll try to dig up the picture of the bridge, its a mirror image.