upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Straits Salmon  (Read 3686 times)

Steeliebob

• View Profile
    • Email
Straits Salmon
« on: August 20, 2014, 08:41:56 AM »

After several trips out and throughout the straits I have concluded that there will be very few kings to be caught unless they show up in September. We have tried just about everything and cannot produce very many kings. I am thinking that the water temps are too cold due to the long winter and overflow coming out of Lake Superior.

Yoda

• Take a Kid Fishing
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Straits Salmon
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 08:57:20 AM »

I'm going to ride that one with you Bob, fished last night. The west side of Mac Island. 1- 3 lb laker. Very sad state of affairs in the straits.
Halcyon Charters L.L.C.
Owned and Operated by
John & Paula King
906-630-2206

UP POWER

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 10:54:22 AM »

Hopefully it is just a bad year based on the things Bob said.  Because it sure seemed like northern Huron was making a comeback last year.  I sure do like fishing over there, when it is decent.
Adam Rahilly
"Twister's Sister" Wellcraft 240 Coastal

play dough

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 01:02:44 PM »

Just figures.  Left Ludington this year for a change of scenery and the fishery goes to pot.  That said, because we do more with the boat than just fish, it's been a positive experience and I have caught at least one salmon or steelhead every time out except for my first outing in early June so it's not a complete bust.  I haven't targeted lakers but usually snag one or two of those along the way.  I will say, as a group, the people we've encountered in Mackinaw City are some of the nicest and most accommodating we've ever met...even the USCG officers that boarded during that first fishless outing. 
Jim Schantz
Slip 26
Manistee Municipal Marina

Steeliebob

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 01:15:14 PM »

I think that the colder water just kept them away. I also would think that their will be good numbers in September so don't put things away too early. The DNR will not give us the numbers of fish that they plant elsewhere, too bad for us. We do have fantastic natural reproduction and the MNR plants loads of Chinook, we can take advantage of that as well. We also have some good river fishing coming up. A Chinook can cover 100 miles or so in a day when it migrates, and they will start migrating pretty soon.

todd v

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 07:45:13 AM »

It has been a pretty hard pill to swallow thus far compared to the last couple of years. I have not been able to get into the steel like the previous few years either, not just the lack of Chinook. I keep telling myself look at your program and work at it, to no avail yet but I am a glutton for punishment and will be there this weekend trying again.

Dire Wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 09:18:55 AM »

There is a 250,000 to 260,000 fish chinook plant that still occurs per the Consent Decree at Nunn's Creek. Add-in the swim-over traffic from Lake Huron's Georgian Bay chinook stock, and you should have at least a Fall fishery.

fishman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 02:22:49 PM »

The reason the numbers of fish don't get planted like they used to is because the forage base isn't there to support the fish.  Do you want fish planted just to say some were planted or do you want a wise use of your license money?

todd v

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 05:55:47 PM »

Fishman,
Respectfully, I do not believe anyone griped about anything to do with #s of fish being planted. It has just been a tough year for fishing ,leaving some of us scratching our head.

Troll N Yooper

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2014, 12:12:34 AM »

got out sat eve, ;D bounced over to mac island to get out of the wind,  sad()
 the east and west lake buoys were way off.
ran the south and west sides, tried meat, large and std spoons, flies, lead cores, copper, even tossed out a J plug ?  00-00  huh()
was in the back so have to say we did not mark much.
thought about an am trip ?
will load old kitchen sink, drag that around ?
  thought I saw yoda headed east ?
 Mike :usa:

Dire Wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2014, 08:19:59 AM »

The reason the numbers of fish don't get planted like they used to is because the forage base isn't there to support the fish.  Do you want fish planted just to say some were planted or do you want a wise use of your license money?

The alewife forage base decline in Lake Michigan is the direct consequence of the Lake Michigan Management Committee's unwillingness and inability to marshall the resolve and set aside political considerations to make additional chinook planting cuts when they were MOST warranted in the 2008/2009 interval, based on Red Flag Matrix analysis( as you recall, the very same decision matrix that was developed to guide managers to replicate the disaster that occurred in Lake Huron). Had that decision been made basin-wide, the ensuing alewife production from the 2010 (second largest year-class on record) and 2012 year classes would likely not have become Chinook  and Lake Trout poop while they were still juveniles, thus stabilizing the adult year-class age array and providing adequate reproductive potential for future forage base preservation and expansion. 

Add to this the unwillingness on the part of the MDNR's Lake Huron basin manager, Dave Borgeson, Jr., and the MDNR's LMMC representative, Jim Dexter, to acknowledge that significant numbers of wild-origin Chinook were emigrating from Lake Huron from their natal streams into Lake Michigan waters(personal, repeated, conversations in 2007-2008).

As the third leg in this triad of mismanagement and poorly timed management decision making, toss in the LMMC's rejection of the basin-wide Sport Fishing Community's solicited public response request that Highlighted the PUBLIC Participant's requested choice of: Option 4 (a blended cut of all salmonines planted in Lake Michigan waters) during the comment period prior settling on a 50% lakewide Chinook only plant reduction.  When I challenged the MDNR's, Jay Wesley, acting LMMC Michigan representative, he lied to me, stating that this was the most requested response. When I challenged the accuracy of his assertion, I received the reworded parsed response that: "This was the most requested option by Michigan's sport fishery respondents."

You may not recall Dr. J.M. Jones' presentation at the 2013 Ludington Lake Michigan Fishery Workshop outlining  the rationale of the Decision Analysis Model's development by MSU's Quantitative Fisheries Center staff: Develop a variety of management decisionsopt would result in maximizing the likelihood of and alewife stock in Lake Michigan of 100kt. Oh, by the way, the DA model was commissioned by the LMMC as an adjunct to the Red Flags Decision Matrix to better guide their decision making process for Lake Michigan salmonine management.

Now, as a dessert topping, let's add the Chinook creel limit reduction for Michigan waters currently under annual consideration, advanced by Randy Claramunt, MDNR Charlevoix Fishery Research Station biologist, should catch rates fall below a specific threshold. Now, we both acknowledge that there are likely more chinook salmon in the Lake Michigan basin than the forage base can support, so help me understand how a reduction in sport fishing pressure, particularly in light of data presented by Dr. Iyob Tsehaye et al. suggesting that sport fishing catch frequency increases as chinook foraging success declines.

ReelWild

• New Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2014, 08:38:50 AM »

Tough fishing at the Straits, spent Saturday on the west side of Mackinac and found no Kings. 4 Lakers and 1 Steelhead, got 2 of the Lakers on sliders up high. Water temps very cold. Biggest Laker on Dippsy 180 out with a green flasher and fly.
Good luck in the search for Kings!

Yoda

• Take a Kid Fishing
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2014, 08:10:04 AM »

Wasn't us you seen unless it was Thursday Troll N Yooper. Last day we fish was the 21st, both am and pm, did well on green fish in the AM that day boating 9 smallish Lakers and 1, 10 pound king, the PM trip was pretty sad, same area only 3 small Lakers lost 2 or 3 other fish.. if things are going to take off in the straits it better happen pretty dam soon.
Halcyon Charters L.L.C.
Owned and Operated by
John & Paula King
906-630-2206

Steeliebob

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2014, 10:06:14 AM »

One 14 pound king on the W/S of the island Saturday to go with a 6 pound lake trout. Went to the St Martins Islands and could not mark a decent fish in 4 hours on Sunday. We pulled the boat out with one pink salmon in the well. We sent to Cedarville and tried for pike. After getting 5 throwbacks we put a 9 pound pike in the well. It was not a wasted trip. We never saw another boat salmon fishing. I think many fishermen have raised the white flag on the salmon.

Steeliebob

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2014, 02:09:56 PM »

Don't expect the DNR to plant any additional salmon or steelhead in the straits area anytime soon. According to the DNR there are too many predator fish vs. available food in the straits area. They are looking at cutting back on or eliminating the planting of lake trout in the straits area. There is also a possibility of going back to a year around season on lake trout and splake and increasing the limit. The rivers and streams in the area all have high reproduction numbers. Ontario plants some fish that provide an opportunity for us as well.
I have to get my fish finder fixed because we marked miles of feeder fish for every big fish out there. It is easy to get the boat in and out when you are the only person at the launch that is a benefit for sure. 
Pages: [1] 2