upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Chinook v Atlantic Salmon  (Read 8570 times)

Steeliebob

• View Profile
    • Email
Chinook v Atlantic Salmon
« on: July 16, 2015, 09:29:45 AM »

The DNR is thinking that the Atlantic Salmon is going to replace the Chinook and Coho salmon as the ultimate great lakes sport fish. The Atlantic Salmon is a much better eating salmon no doubt at all. When a person has thousands of dollars invested in gear for Chinook fishing they will not go out and spend thousands more to change up their gear for fishing Atlantics. Atlantic salmon can be more difficult to catch and don't fight like a chinook. Really the DNR expects people to be excited when they replace a 20 pound chinook with a 6 pound atlantic.

BiG ARN

• View Profile
    • www.bubbablade.com
Re: Chinook v Atlantic Salmon
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 04:08:18 PM »

I talked to a fish guy from DNR the other day in Fairport...... He told me that there talking about planting a crap load of steelhead in Fairport area next year!   He asked me a few questions and wrote my answers on a paper....he's doing a survey from fisherman on what they think.    I mentioned Atlantica and he said there looking more towards steelhead seeing they have a bigger variety in there diet and don't "need" bait fish to survive.
Captain Aaron Hendrickson
  BiG ARN's Charters LLC
 bigarnscharters@gmail.com
       (906)869-3361
   Boat name: BiG ARN ll
 Marquette,MI/Fairport,MI

Steeliebob

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 09:48:52 AM »

I am all for steelhead. I catch them 10 months out of the year on this side and don't need a boat to do it. Catching a steelhead through the ice is a blast it gets my blood pumping.

deltadawncharters

• Even A Blind Squirrel Find A Nut Once In A While.
    • View Profile
    • www.deltadawncharters@up.com
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 02:13:57 PM »

Atlantic salmon and steelhead have the same diet it's like very thing else in Michigan down state
Get it first!!  ( We can get the leftovers if any)  :kick:
Delta Dawn Charters
232 Grady White
Boat Name Delta Dawn
Escanaba,Gladstone,Manistique, Mi.

youp50

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 05:44:48 PM »

I doubt fishermen will quit fishing or buying tackle because Chinooks can no longer thrive in Lake Michigan. 

The ball was dropped years ago when foreign freighters were not required to change ballast water while at sea.  Currently the Lake uses plankton differently.  I would like to hold an on the job training for Chinooks to show them how good life is by grubbing on the bottom for brown slimey looking things with out a swim bladder.  But they don't listen.

So, the DNR is going to do their best to salvage a fishery by putting in fish that will grub on the bottom.  I too like rainbows.  In several years you will find Lake Michigan anglers successfully targeting huge brown trout all year long.  They are there and we will learn to catch them. 

There will always be Chinooks around.  Lake Trout will likely start reproducing naturally.

The only sure thing is change.  We, too, will adapt and conquer.
Yea, we caught a couple little ones.

Steeliebob

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 08:45:33 AM »

It will be interesting how many salmon boats are on craigslist this fall. The St Ignace launch used to have lots of salmon fishermen. Right now you can go there and count the salmon fishing boats on three fingers on any given weekend. As for browns I am not holding my breath. More steelhead is a good thing. Most of the biologists working for the DNR were not born yet when we had the alewife explosion in the 1960's that led to salmon planting. They can and will come back both fast and hard. The DNR can hold back on salmon planting for about another year. Beyond that there will be an alewife explosion. If I am right the few salmon that we catch then will be 30+ pounds.

youp50

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 04:23:34 PM »

...and now I find the bottom feeding Lakers are in fact licking up the alewife that couldn't support the salmon population.  I thought I was old and wise enough to not believe the DNR.  Never again.

I stand by the brown trout year round though.  They are out there and planting more every year.  (Not a Do Nothing Right idea)

If sudden global warming would warm Lake Michigan to a trophy blue catfish temp, we would be selling spoons and trolling for cats.  Or selling riggers and planer boards and buying anchors.  Its a fishing thing.
Yea, we caught a couple little ones.

Steeliebob

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 09:27:14 AM »

If the lake trout are eating alewife than there is a surplus of alewives in that area.

BiG ARN

• View Profile
    • www.bubbablade.com
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 07:36:37 PM »

I've been seeing proof in the pudding......kings have empty stomachs and the lakers are LOADED with alewives!    The territorial and dominant lake trout are taking over lake Michigan and eating the PLENTY of bait!!    Michigan needs to quit planting lakers in lake Michigan and rid the lake of them!   It's reminding me of my favorite walleye lake that pike took over.....no more walleye in there!
  BiG ARN's Charters LLC
       (906)869-3361
 Marquette,MI/Fairport,MI

St Marys Troller

• Two Rivers Coho 13May17
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 05:37:28 PM »

As much as I like fishing kings, those atlantics when they break 10lbs fight just as much as any king does. I'd rather fill the box with atlantics and steelhead with a hand full of lakers.
Poor Boys Outdoors
Joe Picotte
Starcraft 176 Fishmaster
"Gold Troller"
USCG Two Rivers Wisconsin

BiG ARN

• View Profile
    • www.bubbablade.com
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 10:53:36 PM »

Apparently you have never experienced a day of good king fishing!!
  BiG ARN's Charters LLC
       (906)869-3361
 Marquette,MI/Fairport,MI

WCScenario

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2015, 05:58:29 AM »

Sorry but nothing you listed fights like a Big King..
Blayne
Currently Boat Less..
Home Port: Fairport Marina

SnIpEr

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2015, 07:52:50 AM »

Very few people will spend money to chase trout or Atlantics in Lake Michigan. The draw has always been King salmon and when they are gone every port will look like the lake Huron ghost town ports. And lake Huron has a fantastic trout fishery.

Jfish

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2015, 07:45:14 PM »

I'd like to catch atlantics in the rivers.  I'm sure they fight like crazy...more than steelhead.  That being said; there's nothing like fighting a king!  Kings are just something that I have developed an addiction for :)  So as this fishery is on the supposed decline, it makes me very sad.  Kind of like our current government.  Both are very much the same as in I can't do much if anything about it.

Big Fish

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2015, 09:25:57 PM »

Salmon fishing has been the fishing economy in Michigan for a long time. And Kings are KING! I find it hard to believe the MI  DNR have it so WRONG. I have been fishing salmon since 1986 from the coho and kings in Frankfort, to big kings in Rogers City off Swan Bay and the Calcite plant, to Fairport after my move back to the U.P. 13 years ago.  Nothing like a 20 + king battling it out for all its worth until the very end with the sunset in the background. Now the last two years are sad...smaller fish and hard to find everywhere.
Sure, atlantic's and steelhead are fun and lake trout save the day sometimes when it's  the game of the day, but kings are memory makers....nothing compares.
So...why are the powers that be taking this away?  Forage issues?...Fix it already but don't take away the very species that's kept me in the game...spending money...buying gas, bait, lures, launch fees, boat stuff, camping, motels, restaurants...Where's the logic?
I'll  still fish lakers, sure...steelhead, sure...atlantics...sure....but I'm  not likely to travel far from home to do it anymore.. .and not likely to take a two week vacation to travel, spend money, for lakers and steelhead....it's all about bang for the buck...and it's just not there like it used to be....Sad commentary.
Fred Kolky
Pages: [1] 2 3