upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: We got a monster...  (Read 4970 times)

Daybreak

• View Profile
    • Daybreak Charters
    • Email
We got a monster...
« on: August 20, 2013, 03:08:21 PM »

At least thats what the customers said when the DOWNRIGGER started screaming out...  Yea, not the rod...the rigger  :nuts:

Ahh yes I said, welcome to Marquette.  Just another place in the UP that the Indians like to trash.  And the conversation went on from there... wink()

Dont worry a**holes, Ill clean up your mess...

I also got an extra rigger ball, about 7 new downrigger swivels, a peanut/dodger set-up, and 5 spoons. 
Captain John Tomczyk
Daybreak Charters   www.daybreakfish.com
Marquette, MI
Boat Name:"RELENTLESS"

Pynners

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: We got a monster...
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 05:35:30 PM »

What an absolute joke. Any dead fish in it?

This thread could get interesting. Lol.
David Pynnonen
Marquette/L'Anse

Nightshift

• New Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 05:35:59 PM »

:thmb: Nice work! At least you didn't lose or wreck any of your gear.  That shit makes me nervous, I fish out of a smaller boat, could create a real nightmare. It is nice to see that crap out of water.
Scott Goedert

Tin Lizzy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 06:52:49 PM »

Nice work Capt., at least you have some lead and cork if you ever need it.  Don't forget to take a close look at your rigger bases, that kind of force can cause stress cracks that will end up bad if you don't catch them in time.  I had a buddy loose a rigger a couple days after snagging a net. Them sonsabitches just don't give a damn about anybody else.  Thank you, for cleaning up a small portion of there shit.
Rod

Fina Leigh Dunn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 06:56:13 PM »

To be fair, it isn't the Native American community as a whole that is responsible for this, but rather a small section of that community who don't care..... at all. What gets me most is that I have always respected the heritage of the Native Americans for not wasting a thing, living in unison with nature and using every part of an animal whenever possible so it did not go to waste. How did these few people get to the point that they would be so careless as to leave a net (which was placed in the first place with poor markings, if any at all........ does a Tide bottle count as a float? how about a crutch?) to drift around the bottom and catch fish, never to be used? To see this kind of disrespect for the land from which they came is very disappointing to say the least. Losing gear is a totally different subject, that can be replaced... for a price. Disrespect for your ancestors and your heritage, well........... :mad:
~Aaron Loehr

Daybreak

• View Profile
    • Daybreak Charters
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 07:19:00 PM »

I definatly agree its a few bad apples making the whole bunch look bad.  Happens with the "white man" to.  The difference being is there are penalties and punishments brought on a white man when he breaks the law.  There is NO ACCOUNTABILITY with the tribe.  Thills Fish House puts out thousands and thousands of feet of net every year.  They NEVER seem to have a problem losing them...

I got tired of just cutting my lines and cables when I hit a net.  Im sick of sending $400 at a time to the bottom of the lake.  Now the boat goes into neutral, I let everything else sink to the bottom, and I get my gear back.  This was a drifting net as well.  I have been on that spot for 2 weeks, and made probably 100+ passes over that hump, and all of a sudden yesterday, I snagged this thing.

Whatever...  It's out of the lake.  I'll just wait for the next one...
Captain John Tomczyk
Marquette, MI

Nightshift

• New Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 08:06:46 PM »

I agree, zero accountability!! A few years ago my brother pulled a section of net off a ice float by the bubblers, he threw it on the beach, you would have thought he murdered someone with the investigation the tribe put into it, of course non of the other fisherman would give up any info.  My point is if the two faced bastards would put forth half the effort in holding their own accountable we might not have as many problems.  :mad:
Scott Goedert

whiteymalone

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 10:18:48 PM »

Very good reason to always have a sharp set of side cutters at the ready next to every rigger on the boat, just in case.
Dan Webb
Boat: Webb-Cast.Net
Home Port: Cinder Pond Marina

BiG ARN

• View Profile
    • www.bubbablade.com
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 10:42:33 PM »

Nice job getting it out of the water John!   People need to start specifically asking where there whitefish came from....if its the asshole from kawbawgum don't buy it and support him!  Maybe if thills ...restaurants and people waiting for him at the dock didn't have such a high demand for this guys fish....MAYBE it wouldn't be so bad. And hopefully it would put him out of business!   People keep buying his fish...this will only get worse!  Boycott this pecker head!!
Captain Aaron Hendrickson
  BiG ARN's Charters LLC
 bigarnscharters@gmail.com
       (906)869-3361
   Boat name: BiG ARN ll
 Marquette,MI/Fairport,MI

Feelin-Nauty

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 10:52:01 PM »

Way to cleanse the lake john of native american being a bunch of jurkoffs..lets try killing all of there brothers meaning wolves an when they are all gone be like oh they arent my problem anymore
When in doubt throttle out!!

FiShSkInS

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 06:56:26 AM »

Daybreak Charters : Cleaning the lake up one net at a time !!  :thmb:
Willie Fairplay

Boat name : NiTrO FiSh

ALL BALLZ FISHING

Home Port: Bare-ing C

Redrover

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 10:01:27 AM »

Daybreak,

you held public relations dynamite in your hands and tossed it away.

You should have called the coasties in for assistance as it was a very dangerous situation.

They would be required to file a report of the incident.

The media would see that report and send reporters.

You could be in the media explaining what a dangerous place marquette harbor is with these indiscriminate killers (runaway nets).

Then go on to tell them it definitely makes it hard for you to run your family friendly/tax paying business in the marquette area and what if these nets were slowly moving down Washington Street in Marquette.

You could bet something would be done then...

Fina Leigh Dunn

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 10:52:15 AM »

you held public relations dynamite in your hands and tossed it away.

Exactly.
If something is ever going to be done about this, it has to be carried out through the right channels. I wouldn't call the Coasties if you weren't in legitimate danger, but bringing attention to the situation through the right channels may help more than sharing your frustrations with your fellow fisherman. Maybe some news coverage for the fall classic, you could make it a point to discuss the safety issue for boaters and the economic impact on businesses such as yours John. Has anybody reached out to tribal officials directly about this? how about the USDOI? What agency provides nets to the tribes, it has been mentioned before that they get them at little to no cost.... I don't know if this is true..? Start going up the chain...... The squeaky wheel. Hey, if Alaska can get a bridge to nowhere, it's possible. You better have persistence and tact to take on that fight though.
~Aaron Loehr

Daybreak

• View Profile
    • Daybreak Charters
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2013, 11:18:11 AM »

Been there, done that.  All of it.  Many many times.  I've been on TV6 more than once about this issue. I did an interview 6 years ago standing in front of a gill net on Southbeach.  I also spoke about it on Discovering.  I called, talked to, and left messages for every official that would listen.  Ive spoken to the DNR, Fisheries Dept, and evey CO in Marquette county. I've called the Coasties many times as well.  Here is their answer... "Is your life in danger? Are you able to cut yourself free? Then do so and be on your way..."  They want nothing to do with tribal nets, unless of coarse your boat is sinking, and I don't blame them.

And I wasn't posting this here in hopes something would be done.  I already know that NOTHING can be done...until someone dies.  I was just venting, again, and letting ya know that at least one ball of shit was out of the lake.
Captain John Tomczyk
Marquette, MI

RoDbEnDeR

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2013, 12:18:49 PM »

This thread will follow suit with the rest of them someones feelings will get hurt and the whole thing will get taken down :nuts:
Rob Kivela

The Bottom Bouncer Lure Rigger

FILET AND RELEASE??
Pages: [1] 2