upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Walleye fishing in Portage and Torch  (Read 8511 times)

papszoo

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Walleye fishing in Portage and Torch
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2011, 02:53:51 PM »

Old mud- i cant figure out how to access that map. there is no link on ur thread-at least on my monitor. Is there a website- that info would be useful. thx

papszoo

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2011, 10:39:02 AM »

We fished last weekend for bass mostly in the cuts.  3 of us caughts about 12 bass up to 18 inches in about 3 hours before sundown. One of us hooked the biggest pike I have ever seen anywhere-estimated 50+ inches (the guy who hooked it has caught a 52 incher and said this looked bigger) but hook came out so she still is still out there-now if there were walleyes in the lake it would be a fishermans paradise......

papszoo

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2011, 11:01:48 AM »

So before I give up on my lake, is anyone on this forum having success with any species on Torch and Portage.  The only fish I can catch reliably now are rock bass.  I havent caught a single walleye this year and the bass fishing which was above average in the spring is very poor now. I am fishing in spots that were productive for me in years past.  I have an underwater camera and the number of fish I see this year compared to previous is probably down 90%. Its like a ghost town down there.  I have gone to Rice lake down the road (plenty of small northerns) and I was wondering about going to Medora or Gratiot.  Any commments, suggestions.  I dont have much of a fishing ego, and I would keep trying if somebody is actually doing well up there. I was thinking of hiring a guide for a day....... huh()

Jighead

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2011, 02:12:13 PM »

I went 30/70 on brookies and rainbows yesterday, up to 10". There are plenty of spots to fish. I agree with the ghost town comment. There are good spots, but kinda secretive. I would bank on Gratiot for a lot of species, some jumbos, and Medora has some nice smallies. Don't give up. There are some monsters out there! Good story.

papszoo

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2011, 01:02:36 PM »

Jighead-u caught brookies and rainbows in Torch and Portage????  I assume u meant in the traprock or feeder creeks. Anyway, hope springs eternal in the fishermans heart and I keep trying.  It just seems strange that such a large body of water could change so much in a relatively short period of time.  Rice lake is fun to fish though and I will try Medora. Thx for the reply

papszoo

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2011, 01:18:06 PM »

I just got an interesting correspondence from a biologist  with the fisheries division of the DNR. He said the poor fishing in Torch and Portage at least as far as the walleye is concerned is because there has been no stocking there since 2006 b/o the VH virus. He said they resumed stocking this year cause they figured out how to protect the young fish and they plan on annual stocking efforts.  He said the spring tribal walleye spearing did not play a role in the decline.  I thought walleyes successfully spawned in those lakes but I guess not enough to support a good population.  Anyway, maybe things will improve.... :dance:
Pages: 1 [2]