upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: deer hunting in Iron, Marq. and Dickinson counties  (Read 3097 times)

Al the Infidel

• View Profile
deer hunting in Iron, Marq. and Dickinson counties
« on: October 05, 2016, 11:40:39 PM »

Trail cam pix over 3 weeks revealed 3 does and at least 2 bear for sure. I surely hope to switch to taters soon as the bear don't want em and the wife won't make apple crisp with the bad apples. No bear poop on site to guess what and how many and all the bear pix are poor nocturnal ones. I however have cleaned up 21 piles of LG and SM deer poop off my front yard in Marquette from the deer eating the lower limb leaves and tidying up low and fallen apples. I see way more deer in town at 4 in the afternoon that all my woodland travels. sigh!
Al Johnson~ SEMPER FI

chum bucket

• Brown Trout Derby 2011
    • View Profile
Re: deer hunting in Iron, Marq. and Dickinson counties
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 06:59:38 AM »

I was in checking out some land I had been given permission to hunt just outside of Iron River.   Almost in town.  I see more deer sign there than I do mid Menominee county.
If I keep up fishing like this, my wife is going to have an intervention for me.

Al the Infidel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 07:48:40 AM »

Alas, my herd here in town is a doe and 2 fawns and apparently the albino I saw not long ago behind ShopKo doesn't come this way and must be voting for crooked hillary.

I've been having camera problems but my bud got this guy on his passing thru the property. Wolf sign is pretty much nonexistent and we have em figured for moving on to greener pastures.

Al Johnson~ SEMPER FI

Al the Infidel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 10:46:59 PM »

Bud's daughter got her first deer last nite, a tender forkhorn. An in-law death in the family sent all four packing 3 days early with her the only one that launched an arrow.

I've a basketball 7 pt that passes thru about every 3rd nite and a one horned spike usually every nite, both after dark. The most deer at a time has been 3 does and a fawn. Down to one cam as my old WildView began malfunctioning again so I gut shot it with enthusiasm.
Al Johnson~ SEMPER FI

Al the Infidel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 11:29:58 PM »

Tater Breath is missing a brow tine, fighting guard, and was in at a perfect time, a day early. Turkey and bear are gone replaced by one bird. CZ 550-243 FS awaits in front of a heater on low.  censor()

Al Johnson~ SEMPER FI

Redrover

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 09:42:53 AM »

Hunted some varying places north of gwinn population starting to come back —Hoperful at last!  logging has occured and woods are good for deer

Hunted near S. Ishp. population coming back logging has occured and woods are good for deer! lots of does

Hunted near Autrain Basin area.
After all the talk of making better habitat for deer the huge oceans of featureless red pine and older growth maple are still common and the
population there shows it. there is one strip of oak trees planted by the state a few years back.

I mentioned to a biologist it would really br nice to do some cutting and get food planted by the basin like oak, berries etc for the waterfowl population.
He said we could never do that because of the DEQ.

I am really wondering right now with all the curtailing of salmon and whatever else combined with the raising of license fees and rec passport where all the money is going

Really gets you wondering while your out there hunting...

Al the Infidel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 10:36:16 AM »

Day before the storm my 7pt was in at noon and hung around till 1. No Al so it left.
Bud passed on 2 spikes lat nite, one a 2.5yr old with 18" long sabers.
Coyotes been checking us out and yodeling: "We're hungry, kill something!"
Al Johnson~ SEMPER FI

Yooper Padre

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 10:20:02 PM »

Was only able to hunt for three days - northern Iron County. I can only describe it as creepy: the only living creatures I saw were a chickadee and a woodpecker. The forest is nearly wiped out by predators and has become a tomb. Thank you MIDNR.

Fr. K
Fr. Jeffrey Kurtz
Watersmeet, MI

Nightshift

• New Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 05:02:50 AM »

We hunt northern Dickinson County, and between 3 of us,we saw more deer this year then we have in over 3 years. That being said, they were does and fawns, 3 different spikes, a 3pt, and 1 fork.  Also, it' been 3 years since a buck was taken at our camp, which was a nice 8pt being chased by 3 protected canines. He fell to hot lead injection over being ripped to pieces.  I still don't know what to think, bad winters yes.....but there isn't even a mature-ish buck on camera.  Pretty sad.
Good luck everyone, be safe!
Scott Goedert

Al the Infidel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2016, 10:58:04 PM »

Pretty sure my only horns, 7 pt, at present, already posted in this thread, was a nocturnal 6 pt last year. I quit deer hunting entirely the last day of rifle in 2015. Let em go let em grow. They don't usually get a 2 year pass.  Usually towards the end of late bow season, in my experience at this location, they're less nocturnal probably because of the colder temps more conducive to daytime feeding. He could be pretty nice next year if he makes it. But then again his seeds will have be mostly sown past mid December, if I pursue him. My real hopes is a bigger one finding my spot but odds are slim these days. In the past when times were good I've had nice passers-bys' but they were always in the seeking  pre rut mode and not late post rut when they are trying to put some weight back on.
7 pt is  becoming more regular at the bait even though I have some does that look like they haven't been bred yet.
IMA there's another guy thats hunting 1/2 mile away that takes anything.
Lots of time to think watching red squirrels, bluejays, whiskeyjacks, and one bird while waiting, and waiting, to take a pic of him in person and/or? Stay tuned.  roll()
Al Johnson~ SEMPER FI

Al the Infidel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2016, 12:49:26 PM »

He's looking kinda thin in other pix so we'll keep on hoping for a new face in da hood.

Al Johnson~ SEMPER FI

Al the Infidel

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2016, 09:23:47 PM »

Finally saw a live buck with horns at dark Nov 30……sporting 2" devil horns, shorter than the ones in the pic. Even the doe 30' away from it had a hard time telling in the very dim light. It came for does and sniffed around for 10 minutes until I snorted it away so I could leave.
Al Johnson~ SEMPER FI

jmohunts

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2016, 09:08:13 AM »

Here is one from Northern Iron Co.
"SMOKE -N- FINN"
ALUMACRAFT CUSTOM TROPHY 18

Al the Infidel

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2016, 06:18:50 PM »

Whoa, thats a dandy.  :thmb:

My last nite of deer hunting saw 2 spikes in with this being the longer of the two. They both were acting very rutty and disinterested in food. There's a lot more activity at bait with the colder temps but I'm done with nothing close to JMO's buck on my cam.

Al Johnson~ SEMPER FI

Al the Infidel

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2017, 11:41:15 PM »

I live by the Med Center and am chasing deer away from my bushes every other night. Well fed looking critters also. sigh
Al Johnson~ SEMPER FI