upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Shooting P.dogs  (Read 589 times)

B and D fishing team

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
Shooting P.dogs
« on: February 11, 2017, 09:38:20 PM »

Heading to the Rosebud Reservation to shoot some P.dogs again this summer. Going to take my new Xmas present. A cooper model 21 varmint topped with a 8 x 32 Nikon scope. chambered in a Ruger 204. Only one thing I can say about this gun is from the trigger to the target SWEET. Worked up a load 32 grain hornady V max. 29 grains of Hodgdon CFE 223 powder with a federal 205 primer. Last couple times we went I took a Ruger and a Remington. I can tell you right now this rifle out shot the other two on paper like you would not believe. Can't wait should be a great shoot. :usa:

Yooper Padre

• View Profile
Re: Shooting P.dogs
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 08:35:06 AM »

Never heard of a Cooper before. Beautiful looking rifles. (I hope those prairie dogs appreciate the quality of the weapon that's shootiing them!)  On the company's website they show them mounted with Leupold scopes; are they included, or is that just for illustration?

How is the .204 in the wind? I considered that calibre, but went with .22-250 because I thought it would be more stable on windy days. I'd love to take both that and my .17HMR west and see how they do on those little rats.

Enjoy!

Fr. K
Fr. Jeffrey Kurtz
Watersmeet, MI

B and D fishing team

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 11:45:54 AM »

Cooper rifles come with no scope. I have always been a 22-250 fan. The first year we went shooting we took a 204 ruger and a 22-250. The little 204 won the contest. Flat shooting bucks the wind better and when you are shooting 200 rounds a day the less recoil and muzzle blast is a plus. Is far as shooting P.dogs I would choose the little 204. As far as the cooper rifle we hope to go every year and as time goes on would like to spend a week shooting in the future. Shooting the P dogs  is something every hunter should try some day as it is a blast.

Al the Infidel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 11:30:07 PM »

Sounds like a gas, pink mist kind. I dunno if I ever saw one of this critters in my travels.  I could go for a chopper hunt for pigs with an AR for S&G. BACON!!
Al Johnson~ SEMPER FI

vmthtr in green bay

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 07:09:55 PM »

Do you still have to use an Indian "guide" when shooting there?  I haven't been out for a while for 'dogs, but went 12 years straight.  We went further north cause they were playing their games back than with license and guide requirements.  I take along a few rifles, 17 Mach IV, 223 AI, 220 Swift AI, 6 BR, 223, 22 Hornet, 22 BR.  Shoot till one gets hot then grab another, then the big cleaning break and back at it again.  Kept a clicker and had a 650 dog count in 4 days.  Also got my longest at 1130 yards with a friend 6.5X284 Shehane.
You may find me shot in a ditch... but I will do everything in my power to be found laying in a pile of empty brass...