upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Where did the fish Go?  (Read 2077 times)

DanaM

• View Profile
    • Email
Where did the fish Go?
« on: February 14, 2017, 06:39:23 AM »

I spend lots of time ice fishing LBDN north of Gladstone total count of legal walleyes this winter for myself is one barely legal fish. Four if I count those I fish with. Perch fishing is also not very good. I moved back to the area in 2013 and the fishing has gotten worse every year since. I talk to people while on the ice and they all say the same thing, especially those targeting walleye. Talked to two groups this week that rented campers and came to catch a legendary big LBDN walleye end result no fish...NOT ONE! Who thinks they will come back and spend their money? I have also talked to DNR officers and they tell me pretty much the same thing low to non existent catch rates. What happened to the fishery? I haven't bought a hunting license in 2 years due to nothing to hunt is fishing next. Time for the DNR to get their act together, they spent how much money on a sting operation for illegal tribal fishing and managed to get a few misdemeanors WOW! So where is the problem? Gobies, Zebra Mussels, Quaga, Tribal Netting, not enough fish planted? Someone please enlighten me.

Dire Wolf

• View Profile
Re: Where did the fish Go?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 07:49:58 AM »

The 'Fishing for Funds' investigation is still ongoing, it is FEDERAL funded and run, no State money.

DanaM

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 07:51:29 AM »

Did not know that thank you for the info.

DanaM

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 02:45:16 PM »

104 views and all I hear is Crickets.....

Tin Lizzy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 03:53:19 PM »

Looks like you answered your own question at the end of your post.  I would say that tribal netting has played the biggest role in the decline.  Also, what is the status of the baitfish?  I too try to hold the DNR accountable when I can, but in this situation I don't think they are to blame.
Rod

gutt1972

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 06:04:48 PM »

Listen to the Out Spoken sportsman Radio shoe tommoro morning 600am Escanaba and they stream radio results network you may have some answers.

DanaM

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 05:43:25 AM »

I listen when I can, and I know they were talking about having an expose on the issue. I will have to take a radio with me fishing today. Thanks for the update.

gutt1972

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 03:07:56 PM »

The outspoken sportsman Radio show will have it next Saturday 600am and they do streaming they will have Jerry Peterson on he is retired DNR fisheries biologist. I am sure it will be very enlightening. 9am it starts, I was told it was today but they announced next sat

DanaM

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 05:19:14 AM »

Thanks

liv4upoutdoors

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 12:55:40 PM »

Is it taped.  Would love to hear it. 

DanaM

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 02:45:45 PM »

AM 600 and I believe its streamed on the internet

thunds2

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2017, 11:19:44 AM »

In my opinion, the fish are still there,  Conditions are changing in the bay.  Water is higher and dirtier then ever in the bay, which is great for the bait populations.  The bay being full of smelt and alewives this winter is the cause of the bad fishing IMO.  I fished for smelt twice this year in Gladstone  and was successful.  Walleye don't have to come up on structure to feed on gobies when they have an abundance of bait deep. Changing your tactics might be your best bet for success.

h2owalker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2017, 11:50:09 AM »

RIght on thunds. I've been doing very well last two winters by fishing differently than the past.

DanaM

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2017, 06:48:49 AM »

Conditions are always changing, yes lots of forage for the walleyes to feed on but that does not explain the simple fact that everyone is complaining about the lack of fish. I'm not a bad fisherman and I also change tactics, I've fished shallow, deep, contours, mud basins everywhere north of Gladstone results 2 legal walleyes this winter. I have talked to many good fisherman that have not even caught one! Unfortunately I missed most of the radio show with Jerry Peterson :( But I believe the problems are more profound than high dirty water and lots of forage.

puckhead

• New Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2017, 08:50:45 AM »

What threw me for a loop was we have been told all along mussels filter taking out vital nutrients to the food chain and we will have clear water. Mr . Peterson said clear water is a cycle thing which changes with lake levels and river flows I believe that is true but only part of it. I grew up on little bay de noc and am here to tell you this body of water has never been so clear. Go out on a calm day and you can see bottom 30ft down.