upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Baraga County Lake Trout Festival  (Read 2003 times)

Super Yooper

• View Profile
    • Email
Baraga County Lake Trout Festival
« on: June 12, 2017, 08:52:56 PM »

Curious how everything went for the tourney this weekend?  I know it was windy but hopefully a few people made it out.  I couldn't fish Saturday but had some decent luck during the week so I was wondering how the leader board looked?
Bill Artwich
22' Starcraft Islander - "Fish Flu"
Iron River, MI

Bad Habit

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Baraga County Lake Trout Festival
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 02:08:28 PM »

Windy is an understatement.  It was insane out there.  Fishing was good for us, but could not get the kings to the boat.  We had our chances, but wasn't our day.  Lots of coho around.  We did squeak out a 13th place for a little cash.  Congrats to Ryan and the Sniper crew for finally putting the LTF trophy on the wall.  Also congrats to Hilltop, Sun Devil, Ella Bella and all the others that made the board.

It was another great year and fun was had by the entire Bad Habit crew.
Nathaniel Kudwa
Boat Name: "Bad Habit"
Crystal Falls, MI
www.eyeflies.com
www.finnspoons.com

always gone

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 02:50:14 PM »

I agree, windy is not the word that should be used. I believe the NWS used the phrase "Gale Warning". Getting out was no issue, getting back was when things got interesting.
Adam Petrelius

Super Yooper

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 05:23:56 PM »

Thanks for the update guys.  I was hoping everyone would get a window to fish for a while in the morning before the wind picked up but it doesn't sound like that happened  :nuts:
Bill Artwich
22' Starcraft Islander - "Fish Flu"
Iron River, MI

SnIpEr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 05:44:38 PM »

Thanks for the update guys.  I was hoping everyone would get a window to fish for a while in the morning before the wind picked up but it doesn't sound like that happened  :nuts:

It was enjoyable/fishable until 11 or so. We put it on the trailer at noon. Some guys fished all day. Hats off to them  grin()

Bigguy

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 06:07:49 PM »

Weather change happened around 9:30 in Keweenaw Bay. Went from 8-10 out of the northwest to I'd guess 20 out of the southeast in about a minute and a half. Went from deer hunting gear to tee shirts if you had time to make the change. Crazy. Won't be signing up early again. Have to see a weather report before I part with my cash.

always gone

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 10:09:50 PM »

Stupid decision. Call me out on it if you want, hate me for bashing the tournament, but I will stand by my beliefs. Very poor decision making in my mind by the people running it.

When the federal government issues a warning "small craft warning" and tells people it is unsafe to be out in a boat - that is a pretty good clue you shouldn't fish. When they update it to a "Gale warning", that means you really should not fish......A gale warning..a gale warning.....Who are you to think you know more about weather than the NWS in Marquette to say over 100 boats should launch and go fishing. You are someone that is looking to get sued. If anyone would have gotten hurt this past weekend there would have been one hell of a lawsuit.  I fished that tournament once, this year...that will be the only time.

Adam Petrelius

jmohunts

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2017, 04:21:48 AM »

When the federal government issues a warning "small craft warning" and tells people it is unsafe to be out in a boat - that is a pretty good clue you shouldn't fish. When they update it to a "Gale warning", that means you really should not fish......A gale warning..a gale warning.....Who are you to think you know more about weather than the NWS in Marquette to say over 100 boats should launch and go fishing. You are someone that is looking to get sued. If anyone would have gotten hurt this past weekend there would have been one hell of a lawsuit.  I fished that tournament once, this year...that will be the only time.

Didnt fish the tourney, but couldn't believe it wasnt cancelled. I AGREE 100%.  100% STUPIDITY.  Didn't want to give all that $ back, is my guess. 
"SMOKE -N- FINN"
ALUMACRAFT CUSTOM TROPHY 18

SnIpEr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2017, 06:16:07 AM »

This tournament is unique seeing as you can launch out of a number of ports  in a vast area so it would be hard to cancel the event after it started. Did we agree with the call? nope but it is what it is and we planned accordingly. If the weather got bad we were going to put it on the trailer and that's exactly what we did. The wind was crazy late morning after a 4-5hr window  but there were a number of teams that fished the entire tournament (5-4) so it was doable if you wanted to punish yourself.  All that being said I have fished tournaments from here to Lake Ontario and have never been allowed to fish in a SCA let alone a Gale warning. During the king of the lake event in Ontario last spring we sat and looked at the lake for 2 days. They wouldn't even let us pre fish with a SCA issued.

andya12420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2017, 09:07:07 AM »

SCA should make the call on wether to fish or not an easy one. Being a part of these decisions in the past and knowing the liability of letting people fish with any kind of weather warning in place, the plug would've been pulled instantly. Boats on the water or not. Everything in the leaderships power should have been done to get boats off the water in a safe fashion as fast as possible. Seems crazy to me to risk anyone or anythings life for a fishing tournament, or making money for a cause. Just my opinion, take it as you wish.

Andy
Andy Allan
Boat Name: Hydro Hooker

jmohunts

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2017, 09:59:28 AM »

Especially when the SCA was already in effect Friday, and upgraded Saturday.  Sure glad nobody got hurt.
"SMOKE -N- FINN"
ALUMACRAFT CUSTOM TROPHY 18

qbfishon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2017, 01:48:30 PM »

ask the guy who was swamped a the huron islands. if it was a good call
Quinn Barrios
Grady White 208 Adventurer "Q-Boat"
MY HEROES DONT WEAR CAPES, THEY WEAR DOGTAGS

SnIpEr

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2017, 02:15:42 PM »

ask the guy who was swamped a the huron islands. if it was a good call

Boat broke down and sunk tied up there.

little buddy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2017, 09:07:31 PM »

We all made the choice to go out that day including myself.  Yes probly should have moved it to sunday or cancelled.  For the extra ten bucks to sign up at the meeting thats what i will be doing as well next year.  Im just glad no one got hurt and we seen a few nice kings caught early.  Hats off to the crews that fished all day. 
Adam
Little Buddy
Id rather be lucky than good!

Bigguy

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2017, 08:08:17 AM »

"We all made the choice to go out that day including myself.  Yes probly should have moved it to sunday or cancelled"

And not one of us would have put our boats, our friends, and our children, in the water that day if the tournament wasn't on. We need some simple rules to protect us from our crazy human nature. A SCA is a simple rule.If it's on we're off.  If it's in the sign up there is no reason for anyone to be pissed off because they can't drop lines at 5:00 am Saturday morning. 5 hours makes a valid fishing day and tournament. If not Saturday a shortened Sunday. All in the sign up so everybody knows how weather will be handled. If people are traveling distances for it they can watch the forecast and plan for contingencies.