upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Portage and torch lake  (Read 1634 times)

papszoo

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
Portage and torch lake
« on: August 15, 2016, 06:51:01 PM »

So I have posted on this topic previously but I wonder now that stocking has resumed on portage and torch lakes, if people think the walleye fishing has improved. I don't see that it has but maybe my fishing skills are the problem. What say the anglers on this forum.

shametamer

• New Guy
    • View Profile
Re: Portage and torch lake
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 12:24:15 PM »

hmmm..never had too much problem getting eyes...bigger problem dealing with all the pike, while trying to get eye limit..i should mention i troll lures 99% of the time here...if you think this is tough try autrain lake or brevoort lake..next to impossible to get a limit or fish of size there....fishing has changed..lots of good fisherman taking fish regularily..throw in tribal nets and  scab(over the limit, undersize)guys..its no wonder you work harder for them..not like old days..in the 60"s i could drop a line in any mud puddle in the yoop and limit out in an hour or two......

papszoo

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 10:29:57 PM »

I don't troll much. Fish the weed lines mostly. I rarely see anybody trolling cranks on torch. Do u find eyes on torch. Anyway glad someone is getting them. Gives me hope

Yooper Padre

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 09:25:16 AM »

I have a friend who fishes Torch a lot, and he almost never catches a walleye. Then again, I guess he's more of a crappie and pike kind of guy.

Fr. K
Fr. Jeffrey Kurtz
Watersmeet, MI

captjimtc

• New Guy
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dupont24eng
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 01:15:12 PM »

The fishing for us was down this year from the previous 4 years. We still managed 101 walleyes so far and 7 master angler fish between 29-31". The overall numbers were down about 25-30% for us.  Last year our best day was 25 fish this year our best was 7! We only target big fish in open water and leave the small 15-20" fish in the weeds for the table fare guys and I know those numbers were pretty healthy for the guys jigging. We pretty stuck to Portage Lake and the Portage Wateray this year with only a few trips into Torch.  We mainly troll but switch to casting for night fishing in the shallows.
Save an Alewife
Kill a Salmon
Multi-species Angler
Big Fish is what we chase