upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Calling all Fishermen  (Read 1378 times)

Running Deep

• View Profile
    • Running Deep Fishing Charters
    • Email
Calling all Fishermen
« on: August 22, 2016, 12:25:25 PM »

Salmon Fishing for the last two seasons has been tough for most of the seasons with a few splashes of hope every once and a while. However this season has been a major improvement. The salmon fishery, especially in the straits has been decent.There are fish to be caught. No we haven't been loading the boat with mid teens to 20lb fish but we have been catching them. 1 big king here, three there and even at certain points in the season 5 or 6 adult kings in a trip. The amount of people fishing has been very low, and even then most boats are just fishing for lake trout. We finally have a creel clerk in the straits area and no one seems to be fishing. The DNR gets a lot of flack for cuts or for not cutting stocking, or for just about anything. Believe me we understand the frustration. However if we as fisherman don't do our part in giving the DNR accurate and reliable data their hands can be tied. They can only make decisions based on what they see coming in to the dock. when there isn't a single boat fishing it makes it very hard for them to collect data. Yes it can be tough some days. It can be tough for us on some days. However if no one fishes the DNR has no reason to try and fix anything. With that said (getting off of the soap box) there have been good numbers of pinks small kings and trout pretty much anywhere you go in the straits right now. Green anything for trout. The pinks are aggressive and will hit just about any color spoon but we have done best with either oranges up high or blues down low. The smaller kings have been picking out blue spoons on our copper rods and at night or in the morning its been almost impossible to keep them off of the glow spoons. our Big kings have all been on flashers and flies or flashers and meat Rigs. Diabolical Meat rigs as well as custom ones we tie up. Deep you have to fish Deep to get those bigger fish. They are starting to move up a little higher now as they care less and less about water temps but our last trip we landed a 15lb bright silver fish 120' down. Our biggest King so far this year is 25 lbs and have landed several in the low 20's to upper teens. 97% of our kings this year have been natural fish and this one year old year class we have right now is huge. there are large schools of smelt just about everywhere. A few alewives and sticklebacks. There are fish starting to stage in front of cheboygan. there will be more moving through the straits to head that way as well as up north. Fishing back in 2009 2010 was similar to the fishing we have right now and 2011 2012 and 2013 were monster years for us up here. I would say in 2013 we had the best fishing in the state for kings. The future for our fishery up here is getting brighter. we just might have to come to terms with the fact that our fishery is cyclical and relies heavily on survival of natural fish. This thread at one point used contain a lot of reports and information even frustrations when a bad trip was had. We just wanted to write this to encourage everyone. Our fishery is not dead its rebounding and looking at this one year old class we have now the future is bright. We have a world class trout fishery and a rebounding salmon fishery. Lets get out there and fish. Good Luck and Tight Lines  :thmb:

play dough

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Calling all Fishermen
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 07:28:16 PM »

I came to Mackinaw City in 2014 and enjoyed enough success to return for 2015.  2015 was a complete flop for salmon and/or steelhead for me (I'm not too interested in the lakers).  I don't need a full cooler but a fish or two per trip would satisfy me.  So after those two years and a couple months early this year (I didn't fish the Straits this year, just observed) I moved the boat to Manistee.  In maybe 10 or 12 hours of fishing since the first of August, I've caught more salmon than I did in two years in the Straits and the Manistee fishery isn't exactly on fire either.  I'm torn on where to go from here.  I loved boating in the Straits but I need at least a little success for the effort.  One other thing...either the city or the state really needs to provide a cleaning station if it is their desire to attract fishermen.  Somehow, I don't think that's their goal.  Mac City is more suited to the cocktail crowd.

It's great to see your success this year.  I followed your page the year prior to moving north and decided to make the move based on your 2013 catch.
Jim Schantz
Slip 26
Manistee Municipal Marina

Running Deep

• View Profile
    • Running Deep Fishing Charters
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 02:48:49 PM »

There's no doubt that the fishing in the straits has taken a major hit since 2013. We had great fishing then. We noticed you moving up here and also knew that the fishing was in for a decline after the huge numbers of adults and harsh winters. The fishing will begin to climb again with the amount of baitfish we are seeing especially because they are smelt and should hold the fish in the area almost year round. I would suspect that we should have good numbers of two year old kings for most of next season. 2 year old fish will not be monsters but 5 to 10 lb kings are fun. We will keep posting into the end of our season and the beginning of next. The straits can be tough to fish and location can be key. Current down current massive temperature breaks along with waves from five different directions. It's tough for even the people that have grown up fishing up here. It was encouraging how often you fished and posted on here. Hope to see the play dough in the straits again in the next few seasons and yes we badly need a fish cleaning station in Mack city.

todd v

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 12:33:12 PM »

I just returned from a two week vacation at my cabin. I fished the straights six times at an average four hour trip with one trip cut short after an hour. We run a six rod spread as I am small fry in big pond. We boated 20 kings. largest being 17.25 lbs. all clipped fish were dropped at Cheboygan cleaning shack. Seemed like a lot of smaller males this year than past. We were a 60 percent land to hook ratio it seemed like so some of it was frustrating but that's fishing. I will be back at it this weekend to give it one more go. I agree with turning in all the heads even if it is a hassle some times, the biologists need the info!

play dough

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 08:57:46 PM »

That's an encouraging report.  May have to rethink my boating/fishing future and give the Straits another chance.
Jim Schantz
Slip 26
Manistee Municipal Marina

todd v

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 12:43:29 PM »

went out fishing this last weekend went 3 for 5  all clipped and dropped heads at Cheboygan. 18 and two at 13lbs.

Steeliebob

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2016, 10:09:01 AM »

Most of the guys that used to fish the straits hard sold their boats including myself. Many of us were dropping $100 or more per week on gas and gear. When it was not worthwhile anymore we bailed. It gets pretty frustrating spending that kind of money and catching lake trout. This has to be putting the hurts on the DNR budget. They are the ones that want to sacrifice salmon and keep planting millions of lake trout. I think that it is a very poor decision on their part. Right now I spend my summers fishing for pike and walleye. I am having some 30 fish days and I enjoy catching fish over watching rigger rods doing nothing. In the fall and winter I fish for my silver fish, I hammer the steelhead in the winter so that makes up for the loss of salmon in the summer. I still miss it though.