upangler.com

Organizations => South Shore Fishing Association => Topic started by: andya12420 on May 02, 2017, 09:26:58 PM

Title: Spring Shootout Alternate Dates
Post by: andya12420 on May 02, 2017, 09:26:58 PM
Looking for interest/opinions on the following Sat date of May 13th ONLY if postponed for already scheduled weekend of May 6th or May 7th due to small craft advisory.
Title: Re: Spring Shootout Alternate Dates
Post by: SnIpEr on May 02, 2017, 10:41:28 PM
Damn weather. Was planning on fishing the WHI in New York next weekend but I'll be there.
Title: Re: Spring Shootout Alternate Dates
Post by: day dreamer on May 02, 2017, 10:44:10 PM
If the tournament gets moved to the following weekend we won't be able to make it since we already took time off for this weekend. Me personally if they push it to the following weekend I don't think scores should be counted for TTN because there would be less boats because of the short notice so teams getting better scores but I guess that is my opinion but if it does get moved to next weekend we won't be there because work comes first.
Title: Re: Spring Shootout Alternate Dates
Post by: always gone on May 02, 2017, 11:55:58 PM
TTN is best 3 out of 6 tournaments. I love this rule. Serious fisherman who can do them all get an advantage, those that have other priorities (wanted or not) can still do the tournament if they like. Everyone has commitments and if you can fish all 6 - then you are very lucky - congratulations - and you deserve an advantage because you fished all of them and you chose fishing as a top priority. Let the TTN go on for MQT regardless of the date.
Title: Re: Spring Shootout Alternate Dates
Post by: day dreamer on May 03, 2017, 01:35:46 AM
I agree with that 110% but with this tournament not being previously noted prior that is all I'm stating. Because not everyone that would usually be there that had plans would be able to make it if it was in the first set of rules for a different date I would be game but with it not being a big notice there may not be nearly as many teams fishing because of the short notice. I just don't think it would be fair for a hand full of local people that live there that get every weekend off get a good first score because there might only be half the boats that would of been there the weekend before. I guess what I don't think is fair is that it was not previously mentioned in the original rules
Title: Re: Spring Shootout Alternate Dates
Post by: MikeM on May 03, 2017, 07:25:31 AM
Well hell, there are a couple of tournaments I want excluded as well, since I will not be able to attend.
Title: Re: Spring Shootout Alternate Dates
Post by: SnIpEr on May 03, 2017, 09:01:31 AM
I agree with that 110% but with this tournament not being previously noted prior that is all I'm stating. Because not everyone that would usually be there that had plans would be able to make it if it was in the first set of rules for a different date I would be game but with it not being a big notice there may not be nearly as many teams fishing because of the short notice. I just don't think it would be fair for a hand full of local people that live there that get every weekend off get a good first score because there might only be half the boats that would of been there the weekend before. I guess what I don't think is fair is that it was not previously mentioned in the original rules

Well, here we go. First off we cant control the weather and that's exactly why the best 3 out of 6 was implemented. There are many teams affected by this and you are the only one to bring up having this one not count. Actually a few teams had things come up that couldn't fish this weekend but can next weekend so it goes both ways. As far as a hand full of locals having every weekend off I am not sure where you are going with that but that last time I checked that surely doesn't automatically give you a good score and not everyone has every weekend off.  Most importantly this was set up to be fun and put a new twist on the season so if it becomes a problem you can have your money back.  We may not have thought about every possible rule and I apologize for that. For further TTN questions, comments/arguments please call me direct or post them on the TTN forum.

-Ryan
Title: Re: Spring Shootout Alternate Dates
Post by: Toolman on May 03, 2017, 09:13:34 AM
I see next weekend as your only option, see ya then!
Title: Re: Spring Shootout Alternate Dates
Post by: no guarantees on May 03, 2017, 12:26:26 PM
Next weekend is fine for us if the weather doesn't cooperate. I just want to fish.
Title: Re: Spring Shootout Alternate Dates
Post by: Bad Habit on May 03, 2017, 02:11:02 PM
We'll be there next weekend.
Title: Re: Spring Shootout Alternate Dates
Post by: Vertigo on May 04, 2017, 08:45:45 AM
In my opinion i would ask Sheriffs Department Search and Rescue if they would be interested in determining if any Tournament should happen or not due to weather. And following days weekends be the next options. It would take some heat off the Clubs tournament staff. And level the playing field.
Title: Re: Spring Shootout Alternate Dates
Post by: MikeM on May 04, 2017, 09:57:18 AM
 That is why a small craft advisory is issued and used by the SSFA to determine if a tournament needs to be postponed. The SSFA does not just look out and say it looks too icky to fish today. It takes a small craft advisory to cancel or postpone.
Title: Re: Spring Shootout Alternate Dates
Post by: Fishon on May 04, 2017, 12:05:05 PM
Hey Andy,
When are you going to make the call?
I'll fish either weekend, but I'll be heading to Minnesota this weekend to pick morels if it's postponed until May 13.
The forecast has deteriorated over the past couple days which usually means it has more chance of being worse than better.

Up to you with all the infinite powers that come along with being SSFA prez
Title: Re: Spring Shootout Alternate Dates
Post by: Vertigo on May 04, 2017, 01:36:19 PM
Mike i guess i am not 100% sure how that gets determined. What i was able to read was National Weather Service calls small craft advisory with winds expected to be near gale force within 12 hours. There seems to be some debate on what is gale force but usually above at least 34 knots.Tournaments should be rescheduled long before 34 knots. So looking out and seeing icky may be more safe.
Title: Re: Spring Shootout Alternate Dates
Post by: MikeM on May 04, 2017, 02:54:40 PM
I am not sure what the determining factors are for them calling for a SCA. I believe I have seen it called for far less than 34 knots. If the forecast remains as it is now, I am sure there will be a SCA posted. They certainly are not always spot on. I have seen flat seas during a small craft advisory, and I have been in some rough stuff when they are calling for 1 foot waves.
 But I believe the rules are written in a way for the SSFA, the only way it gets canceled is small craft advisory, and/or maybe lightening. 
Title: Re: Spring Shootout Alternate Dates
Post by: andya12420 on May 04, 2017, 03:44:37 PM
Mike is correct. There needs to be a clear line drawn in the sand. One mans fishable water may be much different than another mans.
Title: Re: Spring Shootout Alternate Dates
Post by: andya12420 on May 05, 2017, 08:39:18 AM
Small Craft Advisory in effect till 5am Sunday morning as of right now. So no fishing tomorrow. Im talking with the board on details right now. More to come.
Title: Re: Spring Shootout Alternate Dates
Post by: andya12420 on May 05, 2017, 09:42:11 AM
The SSFA board voted to postpone the tournament till next Saturday May 13th. This will be the final makeup day, if its canceled then to. Its canceled for the year.  Sign up is also postponed till Next Friday may 12th at the Elks.      :nuts:

Thanks
Andy   
Title: Re: Spring Shootout Alternate Dates
Post by: 5inthebox on May 05, 2017, 10:53:03 AM
So the captains meeting and sign up is definitely next Friday night not tonight correct thanks
Title: Re: Spring Shootout Alternate Dates
Post by: andya12420 on May 05, 2017, 12:26:12 PM
Correct
Title: Re: Spring Shootout Alternate Dates
Post by: TeamKayKay on May 07, 2017, 12:28:42 PM
Our team will be ready to go next weekend.  See ya on the water  :thmb: