upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Inland waters cisco and their ways  (Read 1944 times)

Redrover

• View Profile
    • Email
Inland waters cisco and their ways
« on: September 21, 2016, 12:51:34 PM »

Does anyone know a good source of information regarding the habits, food, spawning tems and anything else regarding inland lake ciscos?

Dire Wolf

• View Profile
Re: Inland waters cisco and their ways
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 05:45:30 AM »

Just run a series of searches under lake herring and cisco in Michigan inland lakes.

Redrover

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 08:52:23 AM »

I've seen that. I was kind of wishing some oscure biologist somewhere had written  some sort of detailed book that is hidden somewhere out of sight or out of print but having the ife of the cisco in detail no one would be interested in seeing....

Dire Wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 08:08:50 AM »

Their general biology is no different than that exhibited among Great Lakes stocks, with the exception of spawning in far shallower water (1-2meters) in late October, early November.  There are some internal reports you can access from the MDNR's website...but no general monograph.

Redrover

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 04:03:39 PM »

I was at Michgamme one time in the fall and saw a bunch of fish on the depthfinder—probably had one on a jig, but could never verify except as it got off the line. It fought like a whitefish.

tangent_vector

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 04:42:13 PM »

They're in Silver lake basin as well.    Foul hooked a 1/2 digested version when the hook came out of a lake trout.   Hell of a fight on a tip up, then nothing but dead weight.    I recovered a 1/2 digested Cisco that was hooked through the spine.   My hook must have snagged it after coming unbuttoned from the laker.   Had me scratching my head for a bit... My minnow was still on the hook as well. 
Keith

Al the Infidel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2016, 11:58:13 PM »

When, if, the water temp hits around 80? in Autrain L some float up dead and the eagles take care of em. Many moons ago a friend caught one jigging a small silver spoon tipped with a minnow head while we were ice fishing. It sucked the small treble hook all the way in and it was the only fish on the finder 12' down in 18' of water.
Al Johnson~ SEMPER FI

DanaM

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 06:41:12 AM »

Indian Lake by Manistique has them, I have caught some dandies while ice fishing.

deadeye321

• New Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2016, 07:16:42 AM »

caught one, and lost another right below the ice on Big Manistique last winter. Happened to run into a DNR biologist not too long after, and he told me that about every half dozen years or so they seem to turn up in good numbers in that lake. I fish that lake a lot, and have for close to 20 years, and that's the only one I've ever caught.

Dire Wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2016, 04:29:05 AM »

Indian Lake by Manistique has them, I have caught some dandies while ice fishing.

So what do you think about their eating quality. We used to always eat them fresh caught and they were still just a little too bland...

DanaM

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2016, 07:09:48 AM »

I broiled them and they were delicious I'm my opinion. Unfortunately I was never able to catch them consistently.