upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Michigan Wolf Hunting??  (Read 3481 times)

TickTurd

• "The Double Chum"
    • View Profile
John Kyle

Can anyone tell me why Bottom Bouncer catches so many fish?
Most popular answer:  Gill nets

Al the Infidel

• View Profile
Re: Michigan Wolf Hunting??
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 09:35:25 PM »

I'm always ready.  :thmb:
Al Johnson~ SEMPER FI

Dire Wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 06:00:48 AM »

I would have been far more valuable to have a combination hunting and trapping season.The last paragraph is a pretty good summary statement of the effectiveness of sport hunting wolves as a population control method...

Redrover

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 04:06:19 PM »

Baby steps...Baby steps...

Dire Wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 04:20:41 PM »

What I see coming from this is just more fodder for the anti hunting and wolf preservation folks from the type of pictures that a wolf hunt will generate. Trappers don't routinely run to social media to broadcast their success and make testosterone laden, chest thumping comments. I'm quite embarrassed when I miss; I am initially struck by remorse when I don't. For me, killing something is not a "hoot and holler" moment...nor does it serve as a path to "elevate" my stature among my peers

Redrover

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 12:56:52 PM »

Chest thumping is an American trait  and can be seen everywhere.

Look at that Tiger Woods in his prime (turns out that wasnt all that he was thumping).

It is true trappers are not chest thumpers. My trapping partner and I learned early that the loose lips pay off in "friends" checking your traps for you or even stealing them.

It is OK to be happy about sucess hunting. Some people dont have the skills or live in an area like ours. So a successful hunt is OK.

I know where you are coming from though.

When I encounter chest thumpers i usually ask about the next step—field dressing, skinning and all the work that begins after the shot and that quiets the thumping

We dont really have to wring our hands and worry about what anti-hunters think of us. That opinion has not changed since I have hunted. I try to talk more about hunting and fishing when people I know dont particularly like hunting are around. i know these same people dont take a back seat to letting me know everything i n thier lives that I may not like.

I dont know that there will actually be another wolf hunt until wolves get into lower Michigan and start putting the chop on the expensive city dogs, cats, cows, chickens, horses and whatever else turns up edible down there.

Then they will see.

I keep hoping for those straits to stay frozen as long as possible...

Dire Wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2016, 07:00:42 AM »

I knew a guy who sold his waste management hauling business outside of Metro Detroit, to buy a resort to operate on the St. Mary's River.  During conversation one day, he mentioned that he hated the close of rifle deer season. I assumed it was because he no longer had a reason to drive north to hunt.  Nope.  He hated the close of the deer season because their dumpsters and garbage cans would contain significant numbers of dead deer that were tossed in the garbage after transport and display!

Indirectly, your last paragraph illustrates what was fundamentally flawed in the reasoning that drove the Federal Judge's base argument, via her decision to halt Wolf hunts in Mn. Wi. and Mi.: Wolf population density values are the inherent driver of population expansion, therefore any efforts to thin them are detrimental to the overall wolf recovery goal. She failed to consider that there were considerable volumes of habitat within the wolf recovery zone, scribed by USFWS, that are no longer vaguely appropriate wolf habitat i.e. municipalities, large blocks of agricultural land, highway corridors, etc.  She simply assumed that they would inherently "flow" past these obstacles via some undescribed or identified conduits as their numbers grow, without conflict(s) or any ancillary issues with the existing inhabitants, be they humans, livestock, or personal pets...flawless logic!

This makes good sense to me, particularly when you factor-in, that her legal expertise and acumen was acquired in the music software piracy arena...prior here appointment to the Federal bench.

The legislation to enable Congressional bypass of this legal decision is currently in-place in committees in Washington in both houses of Congress.  I suspect it will advance to the floor of the House as a bill in the next twelve months...particularly, if enough emails flow to "the Swamp" from concerned constituents.  I don't think it will be necessary to wait until the folks in Grosse Pointe Shores, Grosse Pointe Woods or Bloomfield Hills start whining because "Arfie and Fluffy" have gone missing.

Trapping wolves is a far more efficient means of population control and depredation management when contrasted against hunting. 

Redrover

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2016, 01:00:48 PM »

Ill drink to that

fishfan1964

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2016, 11:38:28 PM »

I cant wait to knock one down....

Al the Infidel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2016, 11:02:02 AM »

I cant wait to knock one down....

:nuts: Appleknocker or wolf?  laugh()
Al Johnson~ SEMPER FI

fishfan1964

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2016, 12:19:05 PM »

:thmb:

youp50

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2017, 09:29:12 AM »

I believe that the most successful method of killing wolves is the hunters that teams with a well trained pack of hounds.  I have never had the misfortune of encountering a wolf PACK with hounds.  I know that lone wolves run from hounds as well as any other game animal.

It happens when dogs are cold trailing a bobcat, stumble onto a wolf, and are not as broke as you originally thought.  Kind of like a bird dog that never runs a rabbit, until the planets align correctly and the dog proves to you he is, in fact, just a dog. 

The coyote with hound hunters could put a serious hurt on the wolf population if turned loose.  There is a reason Predator Hunts do not allow hound hunters to participate or put them in a different class.  They are too good at killing the varmint they are after.
Yea, we caught a couple little ones.

Al the Infidel

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2017, 11:10:08 PM »

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/environment/far-more-dogs-killed-in-bear-hunt-than-previous-years/article_56b7914d-cef9-5c24-a49c-118a2bd550bd.html
"The DNR’s MacFarland said it’s not clear why, but after a wolf pack has once attacked a dog, it is more likely to do so again if the opportunity is presented."

Not very attuned to what makes wolves, predators, tick it appears.
Al Johnson~ SEMPER FI

youp50

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2017, 09:08:46 AM »

For my experience, the key word is "lone wolf"

If you do a search for historical images of the old Wolfers you will see their rangy, heavy coated wolf hounds.  They made a living killing wolves and surely did not feed a dog solely for company around the campfire.

In Asia, the Russian Wolfhounds were run in packs and would take a pack of wolves out.  I would dearly love to see a pack of wolfhounds run down a wolf pack on the Steppes.

Wolves are not a varmint that is impossible to remove from the wilds.  Our ancestors did it with far less technology than we possess today.
Yea, we caught a couple little ones.
Pages: [1] 2