upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: cat tags  (Read 1629 times)

B and D fishing team

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
cat tags
« on: December 23, 2016, 06:43:35 PM »

On the way to work Wed.I saw a big cat cross the road. Went to buy a fur harvester license and could not get the cat tags. They said I had to buy them before Dec.1. Doesn't make sense, but I could get my otter tags. Haven't trapped in four years because of fur prices down. Just wondering why. Just wondering if it is a stunt by the MDNR to make people buy a license even if they are no sure they are going to trap. Not a happy trapper.

big finn

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: cat tags
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 07:28:01 PM »

This new law was because of the hound hunter lobby and because the dnr told me that trappers now cant go buy licenses for there friends and family members when they reached there limit.Total BS

big finn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 07:51:23 PM »

We as a family allways buy our trapping licenses in the spring because the beaver season lasts till april 15 and the licenses expire march 31.And they dont give out the furbearer tags in the spring.You cant get them till sometime in the fall,so after nov.25  you cant get cat tags but you can get tags for all the other tagged furbearers.I get my limit of cats within walking distance of my house and we allways look forward to geting a few bobcat.This is the first time in my life I wasnt allowed to trap bobcat. Its disgusting

B and D fishing team

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 09:17:17 PM »

Now it makes sense to me. the hounds men were the one's that had the bag limit from 3 down to 2 and pushed for the kill tags.  Now they are going after the bear hunters that hunt over bait. Just what we as hunters don't need.

big finn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 10:34:43 PM »

They also shortened the season by more than 2 months

Al the Infidel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2016, 10:59:54 AM »

Now it makes sense to me. the hounds men were the one's that had the bag limit from 3 down to 2 and pushed for the kill tags.  Now they are going after the bear hunters that hunt over bait. Just what we as hunters don't need.

The same ones that drag bed springs on all my roads and then leave em by the roadside cause they don't want to bring em back home to dispose of?
Al Johnson~ SEMPER FI

billbigbay

• New Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 05:06:51 PM »

Wait a minute - what in the Sam Hill prompted you to arrive at the conclusion that the hounds men lobbied for a 2 mo. season??Nothing could be further from the truth!! We have an enormous investment in dogs - a hundred times more than trapping & the longer the season the better.Regardless,we're probably lucky to have what we've got considering the scarcity of bobcats in the U P. ( Don't know why but I assume over harvest?) Wisconsin has a lottery,which takes 6-7 years to draw, and,essentially a 1 mo. season depending on the zone you hunt.Minnesota has only a 1 month season although you're allowed 5 cats. No matter how you slice it it's a great animal,great trophy, and let's hope the population will rebound.

chrisf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 05:50:49 AM »

Always easier to put the blame on dog hunters  roll()
Chris Fassbender
Sportcraft fishmaster 232
Boat name: spoontang

Al the Infidel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 07:53:20 AM »

Always easier to put the blame on dog hunters  roll()

Someone's gotta go on the cross eh?   roll()

I had a good year on cats, saw one track made the night before.
Al Johnson~ SEMPER FI

chrisf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 10:46:21 AM »

Cat and coyote population is way down around here, fishers and pine Marten on the other hand, they need to extend the season and bag limit on those damn things
Chris Fassbender
Sportcraft fishmaster 232
Boat name: spoontang