upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Honey Bees  (Read 1020 times)

Fish-ti-cuffs

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • UPangler
    • Email
Honey Bees
« on: December 30, 2016, 03:25:57 PM »

In keeping with my theme of trying every hobby out there at least for a while, I plan on trying to keep honey bees this spring.
Anyone have any advice/tips? I'm in the middle of winter research with books, videos, forums. I've talked with a few online places that ship bee packages, but has anyone ordered a package, or have any experience with any companies? Most of the sites that I talked to want you to put a deposit down, then when it gets closer to shipping time, pay the balance.
I plan on making a top bar hive, so dont' want to order a NUC.
Brett
Brett Lewis
FishTiCuffs
><))))°>

"It's on like Bing Bong, Jack" --Uncle Si

Dire Wolf

• View Profile
Re: Honey Bees
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 04:26:59 AM »

Did you see Saturday's Outdoor Wisconsin?  They had a segment on bee keeping.

scrimshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 11:19:09 AM »

In the last year or 2 ,fleet farms have been getting bees. They also have hive parts, tools and other equipment.  I think they come as 3 lbs and a queen. I have also done hives as Nukes. (i think they came from a crivitz bee group) Which is like a small starter hive . I prefer the 3 lbs and a queen.  I have given up , bears have wrecked things a few times in my yard and I was too lazy/cheap to put the effort into an electric fence.
Most years  that went Ok I would get about 2 gallons of honey. i have enough in the basement for about 10 years  .

Fish-ti-cuffs

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • UPangler
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 01:48:36 PM »

Thanks Rick, i'll see if i can find that video Online.
I talked with another forum member who had offered me some help (thanks Kevin). I think i'm decided on where amid when to get the bees, now i just need to make the hive, i'm still debating a top bar hive or Langstroth hive.
I do have bears wander through the yard every couple years in the spring, i'll have to keep that in kind when setting the hive.
Thanks for the tips,
Brett
Brett Lewis
FishTiCuffs
><))))°>

"It's on like Bing Bong, Jack" --Uncle Si

michimac

• New Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 10:46:50 AM »

I've ordered package bees with VERY mixed results. Keep in mind, most bees from commercial suppliers are Italians and are adapted to warmer temperature and few pests. I HIGHLY recommend searching out a Michigan or Wisconsin bee breeder that uses bees with a Russian background. There is a ton of breeding going on with Russians to help breed in mite resistance. This can also bring northern hardiness. I recently had a long conversation with the owner of Rhode's Farm about this very topic. https://sites.google.com/site/rhodesbeefarm/home