upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Gander Mountain Bankruptcy  (Read 3498 times)

billbigbay

• New Guy
    • View Profile
Re: Gander Mountain Bankruptcy
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2017, 12:20:24 PM »

Stopped going to Gander a couple of years ago because their prices fell out of line with Cabelas etc. Sorry to see it however, because of online shopping & Amazon, they're all gonna' go bust. For example: say I buy a $500 item from whomever? - I've got $30 tax & about $20 in shippng vs. Amazon where I can probably buy it cheaper,no tax & free shipping. Sure I'd like to support Cabelas but you've all heard we old,retired blue hairs whine about living on "fixed income" and price is an issue.Maybe if I hadn't paid 13% of my income into that cesspool (Ponzi Scheme), Social Security with almost no return on my investment I could be a little less frugal!   

liv4upoutdoors

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2017, 08:33:57 PM »

You forgot Snyders greedy fingers taxing your pension.  $1700 a year . 

MikeM

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2017, 07:09:14 AM »

If he is relying on SS for retirement, he is not being taxed. That state income tax is only on the lucky ones with a big fat pension. Making more sitting at home than a lot of people do working. You do of course have two or three states you could move to that do not have a state income tax.

AnchorDragger

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2017, 07:52:56 AM »

FYI, the state sales tax argument for buying from a Amazon  is ending in a few days., Amazon will be charging state sales tax starting April 1st.  Besides, sales tax is a state thing, you can't blame Gander Mountain/Cabelas for those charges.

http://fortune.com/2017/03/25/amazon-sales-tax-april-1/
Steven Foster
1987 Celebrity Calais 19'

UPMiner

• New Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2017, 01:48:11 PM »

If he is relying on SS for retirement, he is not being taxed. That state income tax is only on the lucky ones with a big fat pension. Making more sitting at home than a lot of people do working. You do of course have two or three states you could move to that do not have a state income tax.

you do realize a Pension is earned over a lifetime of work right? it's not luck or a gift.

MikeM

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2017, 02:13:19 PM »

Yep, income for working. Therefore taxable.

liv4upoutdoors

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2017, 07:27:32 PM »

Mike I find it ironic you look down on those who chose a career that offered a pension.   I worked in a prison for over 27 years.  I chose that shitty career because it offered medical benefits, a pension and decent pay for the area.     I have a brother that chose to work for a company that paid him 8-9 times what I made yearly.  It was a career his chose knowing he had to invest wisely because they didnt' offer a pension.  He made a lot more then I did and has much nicer things then I do.  But I have a pension.   Its all about choices.  If you want to look down on someone don't do it on those who worked very hard for something.   Many people who have pensions work very shitty jobs.   However we chose them for the benefits they offer later.   

Dull-Finn

• New Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2017, 07:54:32 PM »

I agree 100 percent with liv4upoutdoors!!!

MikeM

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2017, 08:49:37 PM »

Hold the phone. I do not look down on anyone for working and earning any kind of reward for working. My problem is with those who are better off than many, and whine like hell over having to pay taxes. That goes all the way up to the President.
 I have all the respect in the world for everyone who gets up and goes to work everyday. I do not care what they do. I can understand those with lower incomes complaining about paying taxes. But if you are having to pay taxes on your pension, you are not low income.

Dire Wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2017, 07:02:28 AM »

Mike, the issue is that many folks had made their financial planning decisions for retirement around the assumption of an untaxed pension income stream and SS payments, both fixed income lines. After retiring, many these individuals found that the pension income they were relying on was now taxed to balance the State's budget on their backs, alleviating a large portion of their expected income. Since these are fixed revenue streams and inflation continues to act of the "purchasing power" of these two revenue sources, without means to grow them for the individual retirees' future, many of the folks who had retired prior the Governor's passage of pension taxation legislation found themselves significantly poorer.

So the big fat pensions you mention are not very big and not very fat, or, for some folks whose pension funds were stolen by their employers or poorly funded, found themselves without one at all as they went into retirement age brackets.
Pages: 1 [2]