upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Marquette Boaters & Fisherman  (Read 1827 times)

Scale Chaser

• View Profile
    • Finn Tackle Company
    • Email
Marquette Boaters & Fisherman
« on: February 26, 2017, 02:18:31 PM »

I thought that all Marquette boaters and fisherman should be aware, if you're not already!  Whether you're a power boater, sail boater and/or a fisherman, this will or does already effect you.  For those of you in the Cinder Pond Marina that think all the headaches and struggles we're going through up at Presque Isle Marina has nothing to do with you, this has to do with you too!  We (both PI Marina and CP Marina boaters) will all be hit with yet more price increases and reduced services.  Even though we've seen a 6% increase annually for the past 6 years, that still apparently is not enough.  In 2018, both PI and CP Marinas will see a 15% increase and a 5% increase, annually, until 2024...when it will be voted on again.  We already pay the highest rates on Lake Superior!  And for those who launch in Marquette look at what they did to the Presque Isle boat launch before anybody knew what they were doing...what a shame.  So, anyone with an interest in boating/fishing in Marquette please come show support at Monday nights meeting.  It's sad to say but the consistent theme seems to be downsize boating in Marquette!  As someone who's lived, boated and fished their whole life in Marquette, it's so sad and disappointing!

For those who haven't seen it yet, their is more info available in today's front page story in The Mining Journal.

I also thought I'd share an email I received on Friday with some more details...

Boaters,
On Monday, Feb. 27, at 6:00, at City Hall, in Commission chambers, the Commission is set to finalize plans for the downsizing of the Presque Isle Marina. (Recreation Master Plan Update –Marina Plan) Plan calls for even greater reduction of services and the loss of over 40% of marina slip capacity, which means that about two dozen small slip renters are scheduled to lose their slips. Several people are planning to speak at this meeting, and they are deserving of our support.

Capt. Brad Muscoe
Marquette, MI
Boat Name: Ella Bella
www.finnspoons.com
Please "Like" us at
http://www.facebook.com/FinnTackleCompany

Redrover

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Marquette Boaters & Fisherman
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 12:47:34 PM »

Amazing.
All the tourism money.
All the money paid on taxes.
Do we even need a coast guard station?
Was the Travel Marquette crowd there to support tourism?

this was the worst part of todays article:
"Mike Plourde said there are those in Marquette who don’t want any of their tax dollars to support the marinas."
Is that someone who should be making decisions for a "tourism city?"

I bet there are taxes being paid on things I don't support. How do I stop them from being funded?

First snowmobiles, now boaters.

We need business owners on that city council.

highline

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 08:11:09 PM »

I was in Houghton two weekends ago and much the same.
On one end people are begging snowmobilers to come up there and spend there money,eat at restaraunts,stay at motels, buy gas,etc.
In the next breath people are whining about the snowmobile traffic,loud noise,up all night,taking up parking spaces,etc.
The Sheriffs Departmnet even went as far as to set a sting operation for minor noise and registration violations.
So my take is we want your money, but we don't want to see or hear you!
Dan Audette
boat name:Highline
Homeport:Marquette,MI
moonshine lures prostaff www.moonshinelures.com

Vertigo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 03:35:46 PM »

The city has to get prepared to lose their last biggest industrial tax cash cow in 2 years.
Kevin Goodman

Dire Wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 04:39:25 AM »

Exactly!!!  Now layer-in a downtown development tax incentive program that removed a big chunk of the businesses within the core of the city from the tax roles for several years, a brownfield initiative here and there and a residential tax base population that has shifted over to domination by transient renters.  These were all factors that were never considered in the economic analysis of whether a Recreational Authority should be formed by the City and the three surrounding townships.  But, I suspect that the ability of a Recreational Authority to float millage proposals and seek funding via tax initiatives and user fees independent of local units of government was the overriding concern for its demise...can't have that money going directly to fund and support what it was specifically intended for!  Add-in that the city of Marquette was intransigent regarding inclusion of Lakeview Arena in any and all Recreation Authority properties lists. I wonder why?

I never saw any mention in the article that the City requires payment be made annually for inclusion as well as ranking on their waiting list for a slip; a place-holder fee.

Al the Infidel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 09:51:41 AM »

If memory serves when the now defunct Island marina was built the grants funds were contingent on the city maintaining the marina. Hope the new silt trap marina fares better.
Al Johnson~ SEMPER FI

larboc

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 09:36:51 AM »

I was in Houghton two weekends ago and much the same.
On one end people are begging snowmobilers to come up there and spend there money,eat at restaraunts,stay at motels, buy gas,etc.
In the next breath people are whining about the snowmobile traffic,loud noise,up all night,taking up parking spaces,etc.
The Sheriffs Departmnet even went as far as to set a sting operation for minor noise and registration violations.
So my take is we want your money, but we don't want to see or hear you!

I don't see a problem with the sheriff's dept. enforcing the laws on snowmobilers for once. Louder than stock exhaust snowmobiles close trails down. By putting a little pressure on a few bad seeds riding public trails with no can's they can preserve it for the rest. The money to pay for all the grooming and land use costs has to come from somewhere and that's why the need to enforce the registration and trail stickers.

And there are people that rely on tourism for income and those who don't. Remember that not everyone in Houghton works at a gas station, restaurant, or hotel.
11' starcraft "NoKanDoo"
16' Invader tri-hull "Spirit of Dan Seavey"
22' Cruisers Mackinac, "The Green Machine"
Homeport-Painesdale, MI