upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: braided compared to cable  (Read 1263 times)

fishfan1964

• View Profile
    • Email
braided compared to cable
« on: March 22, 2017, 03:48:53 PM »

has any one changed out there downrigger cable with downrigger braided line? if so how do you like it.... pros-cons? thinking about switching over before the season hits.. thanks for any input

Tin Lizzy

• View Profile
Re: braided compared to cable
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 10:46:05 PM »

I asked this same question a few years ago.  The response I got was to stick with cable.  The braid just isn't tough enough to handle the job unless you plan on stripping a few feet off the end and retying every trip.  If you get a few nicks in the braid line from bumping bottom or other lines, there is a good chance you will lose everything, cannon balls, releases, lures.  That gets expensive fast.
Rod

Al the Infidel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 09:41:19 AM »

Kinda apples n oranges but pike had no trouble cutting me off using smaller diameter braid just like mono. Everyone says abrasion resistant but good luck with that. I wouldn't switch from cable.
Al Johnson~ SEMPER FI

SnIpEr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 12:41:21 PM »

Tried braid a few years back on a set of Scotty's and there is a torpedo weight on the bottom of the pond. Worked good for a while but must have had a bad spot and when I went to bring the weight up the line snapped. Wasn't impressed.

St Marys Troller

• Two Rivers Coho 13May17
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 08:59:12 PM »

I got 2 long boom riggers from my dad's new boat 2 years ago. They had new braid on them, so I looked it over and ran with it. 3rd trip out I donated a 10lb custom painted fish weight to the bottom. I swapped both out to cable last winter and have no regrets. My back riggers are 17 years old with cable and have never lost a ball.
Poor Boys Outdoors
Joe Picotte
Starcraft 176 Fishmaster
"Gold Troller"
USCG Two Rivers Wisconsin

Lucky Charm

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 07:09:35 AM »

I have been using 130 lb. Spectra on downriggers for a few years now. I have lost a cannon ball with it but then I have lost them with cable too. Drag bottom enough and you will snag on something eventually.
 For the knot connection, I first make a loop using a surgeon's knot to double the line, then tie to the snap or directly to the cannon ball with a palomar knot. For splices I use a double uni knot, Being able to use knots rather than crimps is easier than using crimps.
 I have heard of braid damaging the downrigger spool, but have not had that happen. I left the cable on the rigger and added braid to it, maybe that helps protect the spool.
 With braid on the downrigger and 20 lb braid for fishing line, there is little blowback down 200 feet. That's at 2 mph with a 12 lb weight.

Len Mitchell
Lucky Charm