upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: walleye on opening Day  (Read 1035 times)

trappert

• View Profile
walleye on opening Day
« on: April 04, 2017, 01:40:42 PM »

Plan on fishing the Walleye opener with my son on the Esky river from the shore anyone have any tips on what to use or what part off the river would be worth a try! Was thinking the mouth of the river! Thanks Guys or Gals! :thmb:

Dire Wolf

• View Profile
Re: walleye on opening Day
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 06:20:26 PM »

Spend the time to stop in at the Bait Shop just north of the Esky a mile or so. Chris knows the river better than anyone else on this board and can set you up with gear and places to try.

Good Luck!

trappert

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 08:33:00 PM »

Thank you! Will do! :thmb:

THE BAIT SHOP GUY

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 11:02:31 AM »

If you're limited to shore fishing, your two best options are either at the mouth or the dam. The fishing platforms at the mouth of the river are usually loaded with people, plus the majority of boaters will be fishing that same area. Be sure to have an extra dose of "patience" with you, while fishing there during the opener. The water is generally in the 10 to 12 foot depth range off the docks, with a mostly sand bottom. There is a fair amount of timber on the bottom to snag on. Most people just use a plain hook with enough weight to hold it in place against the current. Crawlers are usually the best bait. Lay the rod against the railing, and watch the tip for a bite. Pitching jigs can work, too.

If it was me, I'd fish up by the dam. There's a fishing platform on the downstream side of the dam. There's generally fewer people and almost no boat traffic, (except for my dad and I.) Drifting a plain jig tipped with a small minnow or chunk of crawler, is always a safe bet. Depending on the amount of current, 1/8 to 1/4 ounce jigs will do the job. Bring plenty of jigs, because the bottom is chunk rock, and you're going to lose a lot of them.

If you guys have waders, that will open up a lot more area to fish between the damn and highway bridge. Downstream from the fishing platform, the water is shallower, and the current is a little slower, (unless the floodgates are open.) Casting crankbaits will help you cover more water. Again, the bottom is all chunk rock and gravel, and anything that touches the bottom, generally stays there! Stick to shallow running, floating baits. The water is fairly stained, so bright patterns, and baits with rattles, work best. Floating #9, #11, and #13 Rapalas, #9 and #11 jointed Rapalas, Regular and Jr. Thundersticks, and Mann's Baby 1- crankbaits are a few of my favorites. And like my dad says, "Use any color you want, as long as it's Firetiger."

Good luck down there. Feel free to stop in, if you have any questions.
CHRIS WAHL - BAY VIEW BAIT and TACKLE

Little Bay de Noc fish-a-holic

"Last time I saw a mouth like that, it had a hook in it."

trappert

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 07:35:59 PM »

Thanks Chris! :beer: