upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Take someone shooting.  (Read 517 times)

youp50

• View Profile
Take someone shooting.
« on: April 21, 2017, 11:18:49 AM »

My wife does some kind of mentoring program at a higher learning institution.  Every year she gets a new student.  There are requirements, I don't get involved with them.  I usually do an ice fishing, air boat driving, or some other thing once.

This year we took her mentee and a friend to the range.  41 mag (reduced loads), 9 mm, and a 22 single six.  I found out they had a mutual friend that was busy and bummed she didn't get an invite.  Last night found us (three college girls, my wife and I) crowded around the loading bench.  We were cranking out more reduced 41 loads.  I think they like the SS finish and scope on the gun.  Off to the range we went.

One was willing to touch off a factory load.  All were impressed and very happy to stick with 210 gr lead bullets over 5 gr of Trail Boss.  Maybe 800 fps, I have never chronographed the load.  Upon exhaustion of the reloads and the required smart phone image capturing, I found the excitement in their eyes and words pleasing.  One girl a bow hunter, the other an AR/shotgunner, and a city kid that had never held a gun. 

Its been said before, "Take a kid shooting!"  You will find it fulfilling.
Yea, we caught a couple little ones.

Al the Infidel

• View Profile
Re: Take someone shooting.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 01:21:52 PM »

Good on you and your wife.  :thmb:
Al Johnson~ SEMPER FI

THE BAIT SHOP GUY

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 07:39:13 AM »

I was a little surprised last summer when I asked my mom if she'd like to try shooting my pistol, and she said "yes!" The look on her face when she hit the target, (a water bottle about 30 feet away,) was priceless  :thmb:
CHRIS WAHL - BAY VIEW BAIT and TACKLE

Little Bay de Noc fish-a-holic

"Last time I saw a mouth like that, it had a hook in it."

catchafew

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 09:49:34 PM »

My gf and I took her granddaughters (5 & 8) shooting for the first time a few weeks ago with a single shot 22, they enjoyed it quite a bit and want to do it again.  Unfortunately in the Iron County area over the past year two young people who we knew were accidentally and fatally shot in very avoidable accidents if the most basic degree of gun safety rules were followed.

We figure if we train these young girls at a young age to respect guns, practice and repeat gun safety hopefully they'll develop good habits all their lives around firearms and recognize dangerous behavior.  Our biggest fear is someday they'll be at some friends house and the some kid will think it's cool showoff to their parents firearms when the parents aren't around.  We want them to get the curiosity out of their system about firearms at an early age and recognize potentially dangerous situation and take corrective actions.

That said the kids think it's cool to shoot the 22 and to clean it and identify the major components of a rifle from the stock to the muzzle.