upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 2017 Spring Turkey Hunting  (Read 1067 times)

TickTurd

• "The Double Chum"
    • View Profile
2017 Spring Turkey Hunting
« on: April 22, 2017, 11:20:18 PM »

I haven't been out actually hunting yet, just scouting and looking for birds and sign so I don't have anything to report as far as a harvest. I was walking in an area where I haven't been in years and I found two broken turkey eggs within about 50 yards of each other, I'm sure some sort of a predator raided the nest.  It seems a little early to me that they would be laying eggs right now after that snowstorm but apparently they are. I've seen lots of jakes, very few Toms and have heard very little gobbling in the morning but I would think it would heat up pretty soon.
John Kyle

Can anyone tell me why Bottom Bouncer catches so many fish?
Most popular answer:  Gill nets

chum bucket

• Brown Trout Derby 2011
    • View Profile
Re: 2017 Spring Turkey Hunting
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 07:08:28 PM »

Got lucky yesterday.  Another monster jake. But it was still a fun hunt.  Birds came within 3 yards of me. Spitting and drumming  right behind me before they finally walked past and around.
When I saw it was 3 Jake's I took out my phone and tried to record it. 

If I keep up fishing like this, my wife is going to have an intervention for me.

chum bucket

• Brown Trout Derby 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 07:26:09 PM »

From field to dinner in 24 hrs!   Just wish I had morels instead of portabella.
If I keep up fishing like this, my wife is going to have an intervention for me.

Dire Wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 03:58:50 AM »

Congratulations!  Portabellas are a better match, particularly grilled.  Haven't even seen any beefsteaks, yet. Pulled my first ticks off on Saturday.

Yooper Padre

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 06:17:05 AM »

Permethrin on everything.
Fr. Jeffrey Kurtz
Watersmeet, MI

TickTurd

• "The Double Chum"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 12:10:42 PM »

Three days in the woods, mostly hardwoods, and only 5 ticks.  Birds are still in groups but breaking up fast.  We got 1 Tom so far but seeing plenty of birds.  Wednesday and Thursday birds were very vocal, today only heard two distant gobbles.  Seems to be a lot of jakes.  Back at it Sunday.
John Kyle

chum bucket

• Brown Trout Derby 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 07:08:34 AM »

My wife connected Sunday morning, I think a year to the day as last year,  in the same exact spot.  It was a cold morning.  A nice gobbler was coming,  was twenty yards away but across the property line.  He spotted us and alert putted and ran away.   As we were talking about our options two Jake's came running.  We sat back down, and called.   They came so close you could see they're breath in the cold air when they gobbled. So she dumped the one with my dad's old gun.  She gets so excited I wish I could have recorded it.  And no wasted meat on this bird.  She pretty much shot his face off...ill take this as a warning to behave.

:dance2:

TickTurd

• "The Double Chum"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 03:22:53 PM »

Congrats!

I got out yesterday and it was cold in the morning, a bit breezy too. I saw 15 or 16 hens  some in small groups, some were alone and called in two groups of Jake's, one had 13 in it and one had six larger Jake's. Still haven't seen a fully mature bird.  I heard very little gobbling yesterday too, from 6 AM until 3:30 PM.  Again, only one wood tick and out all day and usually during the season the morels start popping up but I haven't seen any sign of them yet either.    My partner connected on a two-year-old and he saw five mature birds in a group fighting over a hen.   I'm wondering if in my area, they just haven't completely split up and started searching for hens yet,  it seems unusual to me at this time of year they would still be in such big groups.
John Kyle

TickTurd

• "The Double Chum"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 05:59:34 PM »

Turkey hunting has been tough sledding lately, the hens are on the nest and the gobblers are quiet. Froze my arse off this morning!   Found some bonus yellow morels today though so it paid off to get up and out.
John Kyle