upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Does anyone trap snapping turtles?  (Read 795 times)

Dire Wolf

• View Profile
Does anyone trap snapping turtles?
« on: May 14, 2017, 05:54:32 AM »

I used to trap turtles when I lived in Pentwater. Curious if anyone does it up here...?

moosekiller99

• New Guy
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone trap snapping turtles?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 06:55:26 PM »

Never trapped them. Used to nab a few in nesting areas near marshes during the first week of June.  Usually the skunks,coon, fox and coyotes get the nests within hours.

Dire Wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 07:10:58 AM »

We trapped with hoop nets baited with fish heads or chicken giblets...well "aged" We suspended these in a soup can singed black via fire and riddled with holes.  The top four inches of the net was exposed to allow trapped turtles to come up for air and staked in a slow current area of a river, stream or bayou. We had our best catches in humid "thunderstormy" weather in early summer when turtles were on the move to lay eggs on sand benches. The largest one I ever caught was a 24lb snapper.  After we cut their heads off we immersed them in a #3 tub full of icewater for a couple of hours and then tied their tails off to a heavy nail and started skinning them with a pair of pliers and a knife.

Excellent eating, particularly the meat along the spine sections fused to the underside of the shell; as well as fried, in stews, or soups!

Fishoil

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 10:58:13 AM »

I don't normally go after them but just intercepted one that was heading for my pond a couple days ago. It was about 10 lbs and wasn't very happy to see me. I relocated it to a creek a couple miles away. They must be on the move right now, I've been seeing a roadkilled one on my way to work this week.
Steve