upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Shootout results  (Read 1922 times)

andya12420

• View Profile
    • Email
Shootout results
« on: May 14, 2017, 10:52:39 AM »

Another shootout is in the books. Great weather, fishing, and friends! Thanks to all that participated and congrats to the winners! Attached are full results.  I apologies in advance if your weights are incorrect. The spreadsheet got messed up at the end. Hope everyone had fun! See you next time!

Andy
Andy Allan
Boat Name: Hydro Hooker

someone11

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Shootout results
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 12:12:08 PM »

You guys don't separate species?
-Nick

andya12420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 01:19:58 PM »

Nope. It's enough work doing it like it is.
Andy Allan

someone11

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 01:07:56 PM »

Man things are so much different up here lol All the tournaments on lake michigan, all species get separated out except for coho and chinook. Big fish prize for everything- browns, lakers, salmon, steelhead.
-Nick

andya12420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 02:16:09 PM »

Not sure if this is your first go around with the spring shootout or what. But this tournament is very very informal and held for our member for the most part. Our fall tournament is much bigger, more money, more participation etc. Most guys are only a few trips into the season while fishing the first tournament of the year. If you were there you'd have noticed it was Kenny and myself weighing fish, entering spreadsheet, data and announcing. We had a couple extra hands on the side selling stuff but got the most part it was two of us. I don't think you actually understand that these things take a tremendous amount of work. Oh by the way there are openings on our board and committees. Come on out and lend a hand. I'll let you separate species.  :kick:
Andy Allan

someone11

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 01:04:53 PM »

I would definitely lend a hand if I didn't work every weekend. I've been to almost 100 salmon tournaments on lake Michigan. They usually only have a few people working the weigh in and announcing as well, and still separate species. Only takes a split second to identify a fish. Could have more payouts and prizes if you separate species, maybe even more participation. I was just shocked to open the spreadsheet and see "salmon" and "trout" and that's it. Can't even get a fishing report from it. And yes, some people, especially out of town people, will use tournament info to get an idea what the fishing is like in the area.
-Nick

andya12420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 01:17:38 PM »

Its your choice to come to the tournaments and read the spreadsheets. If you don't like it, don't come or don't read them.
Andy Allan

whiteymalone

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 08:09:19 PM »

someone11, if I have to work during the tournament I can't be there. You on the other hand are a creel census employee of the Michigan DNR. You could stand right next to the South Shore volunteers and separate the species. The only difference between you and them is you would be getting paid. It would be more data than you could record in a month of your normal job. If you don't think you would be allowed to do this, I'm sure Andy or the others on the South Shore board would be happy to talk to your boss to clear it up.
Dan Webb
Boat: Webb-Cast.Net
Home Port: Cinder Pond Marina

Legend

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 06:07:35 AM »

They would have to want that info first dan before they would send someone to cover it. Seeing as there were only a few kings caught that would go against the natural reproduction is sustaining them comment, and "no fish for you" net pen project!
As I have been in a few organizations...everytime they give a speech...they tell the group what they think they want to hear,,,next week at a different group a whole new story!
The Legend
Randy Wetton
COYOTE FEVER FOLKS... EVERYBODY GETS IT!!!!

Dire Wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2017, 03:22:13 PM »

Randy, that is not what the MDNR's perspective is on Chinook in Superior.  They feel that the population should be supported totally by natural reproduction for Pacific salmon, with annual fluctuations largely driven by smelt abundance and lean lake trout declines, mostly the later, would have the most marked influence over time.

Eventually, without sufficient push-back, you will see that same approach adopted for Lake Michigan...

someone11

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2017, 12:44:20 PM »

The problem with working the tournaments is you skew the data for boats who caught fish and for big fish. We need the data from people who dont catch fish as well-0's are data. Trust me, I asked to work specifically at the weigh in but they said no.
-Nick

andya12420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2017, 03:28:38 PM »

Someone11, If your not "allowed" to work these tournaments, why was Becky your co worker working at the munising tournament on Sunday? Was she going against her bosses wishes? I doubt it.  And for the record, there are many "0's" as you call them at tournaments also.
Andy Allan

Legend

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2017, 04:12:42 PM »

I was thinking the same Andy....and if the people who actually target the salmon are getting zero's that just goes to show how bad the natural reproduction is!!
Of course they don't want to hear that....as long as the lakers are doing fine.
The Legend
Randy Wetton
COYOTE FEVER FOLKS... EVERYBODY GETS IT!!!!

someone11

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2017, 06:43:24 AM »

Someone11, If your not "allowed" to work these tournaments, why was Becky your co worker working at the munising tournament on Sunday? Was she going against her bosses wishes? I doubt it.  And for the record, there are many "0's" as you call them at tournaments also.

She could have been. Or she didn't ask and just assumed to work it.

Yes there are 0's at tournaments, but how many of them come to the weigh in and how are we supposed to know they didn't catch anything or they were even fishing the tournament? Easier to get those data plus non tournament data by working the launch and not the weigh in.
-Nick

Dire Wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2017, 07:41:27 AM »

Nick, is anyone doing creel census work in Grand Marais? Manistique?
Pages: [1] 2