upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Escanaba Salmon Tournament  (Read 4455 times)

bleedblue

• New Guy
    • View Profile
Re: Escanaba Salmon Tournament
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2017, 06:40:08 AM »

Anyone have the results of the tournament?

THE BAIT SHOP GUY

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2017, 10:31:49 AM »

Here is the top 12 teams and weights...
Mike Furmanski. 56.50 #
Mike Verhamme 56.35#
Steven Berg 55.10
Steve Sager. 54.95#
Mike Myers 52.50#
Jason Livingston 51.90#
Bill Gramm 50.00#
Bryan Anderson 48.40#
Josh Bosanic 47.15#
Brian Helgemo 46.40#
Brett Tallman 46.40#
Neil Aaberg 45.00#
CHRIS WAHL - BAY VIEW BAIT and TACKLE

Little Bay de Noc fish-a-holic

"Last time I saw a mouth like that, it had a hook in it."

MikeM

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2017, 02:17:09 PM »

1st year and a great job. I feel they will fine tune the start for next year and it will be even better.

Dire Wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2017, 06:55:58 AM »

Anyone know approximately what percentage of caught fish actually came from Bays de Noc waters?

MikeM

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2017, 09:54:20 AM »

For some reason. People really were not talking about their fishing spots. My guess is though, a lot of fuel was burned that day.

Top 40 Charters

• New Guy
  • Sportfishing and Guided Waterfowl Hunts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2017, 11:49:30 AM »

I think most were outside the bays.
Top 40 Charters

Find us on Facebook -
https://www.facebook.com/top40charters/

Dire Wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2017, 05:21:11 PM »

Thanks, guys!  Assuming this is an indication that the alewife spawn is over...probably not a good thing in this cool protracted spring, particularly with only one year-class of fish dominating the spawning adults age-class array!

Legend

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2017, 07:18:17 PM »

Based on numbers of bait vs fish caught they don't seem to be in any danger right now!
The Legend
Randy Wetton
COYOTE FEVER FOLKS... EVERYBODY GETS IT!!!!

MikeM

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2017, 07:40:25 PM »

I know it is not representing lake wide. But in the locations we were. There were huge balls of what I assume is bait fish.
 The fish we caught had small, young alewives in their bellies. I of course do not know what that means. It is just what I seen.

Dire Wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2017, 06:18:54 AM »

Based on numbers of bait vs fish caught they don't seem to be in any danger right now!

The fish stomachs I have looked at have had two age classes of alewife in them and an occasional 3-4" smelt. None of the alewife are sexually mature.  Numerically, only a small fraction of the total alewife stock is sexually mature. Essentially, most of the big clouds of bait on screen are immature fish

To be straight-forward with you, Randy, NO one has accurate idea how well salmon are doing relative to alewife numbers, currently.  Wisconsin WAS taking a tissue plug from the base of the dorsal fin at the lateral line for percent cellular water content analysis, per Amber Peters MS research findings, which determined that this was FAR superior to all the external meristic stuff fishery biologists use indirectly to determine a fish population's health: condition factor, standard length, etc.  They stopped four years ago, deeming it too expensive to continue to try and obtain samples. LMC and Salmonid Working Group personnel are back to using standard length of returning 3.5 YO fish at their Strawberry Weir facility as an indicator of fish health.  Amber Peter's found that percent water content spiked far earlier and was far more accurate as an indicator of individual fish health and condition. So, managers are essentially using fall salmon health indirect meristic counts that yield a value at the end of a fishing season.

Salmon eat a significantly larger volume of alewife than any other salmonine (salmon and trout), just get a copy of the current comparison that Michigan Sea Grant enclosed in the most recent newsletter.  With the alewife stock composed of mostly juveniles incapable of reproducing, combined with recently documented significant declines in YOY alewife individual energy content derived from multi-year data, "things are not rosy", even with salmon catch rates low.   Remember, YOY alewife stock abundance in fall determines Chinook year-class strength annually.  So, if the numbers are not good and their energy density is lower individually, salmonine growth suffers, as does yearling Chinook survival, for both wild and hatchery origin fish.

Go back and look at the target assessment criteria for the Predator-Prey Model.  There is a statistic derived that indicates expected values of fish per hour in Charter catches at this stock density, it is quite low...I always wondered if there would ever be any pushback from sport fishers when they saw the numbers.  Why do you thing that the guys in the southern and middle portions of the basin have gone "all-in" on catching lakers?  They are trying to keep their business afloat, literally and figuratively.

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1577/T07-130.1

Dire Wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2017, 06:30:02 AM »

Here is the Predator-Prey Model derivation that is currently being used to manage the salmonine stock:

Note Figure 3. Note salmon condition meristic count derived trends in panels A and C.  Also, note panel C

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/Predator-PreyRatioAnalysis-ChinookAlewife-LakeMI_528613_7.pdf

Pages: 1 [2]