upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ask the DNR  (Read 3294 times)

Vertigo

• View Profile
Ask the DNR
« on: May 26, 2017, 12:58:59 PM »

Just watching and officer stated it is fisherman responsibility to be able to keep track of the fish they keep and put in a livewell (assume cooler also) when multiple fisher people are on the same boat. He said some people use different colored zip ties etc..anybody separate their fish for that purpose of identification?
Kevin Goodman

goindeep

• New Guy
    • View Profile
Re: Ask the DNR
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 06:16:22 PM »

Yea, those are mine and these are his. LOL

whiteymalone

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 05:23:03 AM »

Two years ago a fishing partner and myself boxed our tenth lake trout. I started to pull lines starting with a wire Dipsy. When I popped the diver a fish hit. I told my friend not to net this fish because we would have to let it go. After reeling in what I thought was a nice coho, I grabbed the long diver leader to hand line it to the side of the boat to flip the hook out. To my surprise it was a 20" herring. It hit a flasher fly rig that had tandem 6/0 octopus hooks. How that fish got that hook in it's mouth is beyond me. We were thinking that we had our limit,  it turns out we were 23 herring under our limit.
Dan Webb
Boat: Webb-Cast.Net
Home Port: Cinder Pond Marina

backwoodswalker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 11:53:08 AM »

Not trying to change subject but, I never knew that possession limit was the amount you could have in freezer. I always thought I could stock freezer for later fish fry's. Guess I will have to rethink that one.  Steve

andya12420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 12:55:18 PM »

According to mi dnr handbook. One is allowed to posssess up to his/her daily possession limit and up to 2 days with of prior caught fish as long as the prior caught fish are processed in some manner (cleaned, smoked, canned, frozen etc). How often a CO will check your freezer is unknown. But stocking your freezer with mi caught fish is technically illegal. A law that rarely gets attention but a law none the less.
Andy Allan
Boat Name: Hydro Hooker

Vertigo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 01:04:24 PM »

Hard to enforce for sure but I have heard of people posting game pics on social media and getting visited. I would also think as to what Andy mentioned with possesion being at capacity in the freezer to go and fish a tournament catch and keep and enter fish in a tournament would be not only illegal but a cheater?
Kevin Goodman

SnIpEr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 01:58:34 PM »

Hard to enforce for sure but I have heard of people posting game pics on social media and getting visited. I would also think as to what Andy mentioned with possesion being at capacity in the freezer to go and fish a tournament catch and keep and enter fish in a tournament would be not only illegal but a cheater?

Now that's a stretch! Lol!!

Vertigo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2017, 12:36:10 PM »

What would be a stretch home enforcement? Or entering illegally possesed fish in a tournament not making the person a cheater? I realize it just a " what if discussion at this point. Just interesting to get honest opinions. Many discussions about many topics have the what if scenarios.
Kevin Goodman

SnIpEr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2017, 04:50:04 PM »

What would be a stretch home enforcement? Or entering illegally possesed fish in a tournament not making the person a cheater? I realize it just a " what if discussion at this point. Just interesting to get honest opinions. Many discussions about many topics have the what if scenarios.

Well, unless the tournament had in its rules that you weren't allowed to have fish in your freezer at home you would not be considered a cheater because a cheater results in breaking tournament specific rules such as rod limits, fish limits etc..which are usually far less than dnr rules. Could you possibly get a ticket from the DNR? im sure but they could bust almost every fisherman up here in the fall.  My statement saying it was a stretch is because it ridiculous to even go there.

Vertigo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2017, 05:55:57 PM »

For example this flyer for regulations does say all laws will be followed
Kevin Goodman

SnIpEr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2017, 07:01:31 PM »

Then pursue it Kevin. Good lord

Furthermore, if you had ten freezers full it still wouldn't make you a cheater unless you brought a frozen fish to a tournament. Law breaker? Maybe. Cheater? Negative

whiteymalone

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2017, 07:47:25 PM »

At one time you were supposed to have a permit to have venison in your freezer a certain amount of time after deer season. Michigan did away with that permit some time ago. The reason for this was because it was contrary to the 4th amendment  of the US constitution, privacy in the home.
Dan Webb
Boat: Webb-Cast.Net
Home Port: Cinder Pond Marina

Vertigo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2017, 10:22:59 PM »

It has nothing to do with pursuit and it is discussions that i have had since seeing the original show and not just discussions on here but with others. I would have to guess everybody has had the what if discusdions at camp or on the boat from everything deer blinds to bait to you name it. Just kind of interesting to see what others think. Part of it came from a discussion with a CO  a few years back in regards to limits in various states and provinces verse coming back to a home state  with limits being very different. If i get a chance to fish a tournament i am not going to inventory my freezer  before i enter.
Kevin Goodman

Vertigo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2017, 10:31:20 PM »

Now this will change the subject a little but my daughter and i hunt together in the same blind. She looks North i look West i was told i can only have 2 gallons of bait even though we each have a liscence. To me we should be allowed 4 gallons as long as were both there and the bait sites are separated by like 50-60 yards or more.ugh...
Kevin Goodman

Naptime!

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2017, 07:42:35 PM »

There's nothing wrong with having a limit in the freezer and then catching and keeping another daily limit.  Perfectly legal......
Pages: [1] 2