upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Ask the DNR  (Read 3297 times)

Dire Wolf

• View Profile
Re: Ask the DNR
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2017, 06:21:18 AM »

Actually, the point he was referencing was a possession limit in the freezer for the species, and then continuing to fish and catch a limit...  not technically legal, if enforced.

I always remember Gary Tackman's cogent comment:  If guys are fishing for a money prize, you can bet someone is cheating!!

Naptime!

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2017, 08:46:24 AM »

Actually, that is what I am referring to also.  You are allowed to have two limits in the freezer, and then go and catch a third limit and keep it.

Dire Wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2017, 01:33:49 PM »

You' re right, I forgot that they changed from two days creel limit to three for fish possession limit!  Worst part is that I had the conversation prior going down to Fairport fish with Frank Schultz and still managed to forget it...

jd fish

• 2 beautiful Sayings, love you grandpa, & FISH ON
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2017, 10:30:00 PM »

On another side, if a charitable organization were to send a representative to Thills to purchase fish for a benefit dinner could this person be in violation of DNR possession rules? Or on that matter, how about a large family reunion?
THE 4 "F"s of my life
1. Fishing
2. Flying
3. Friends
4..............Forgot.

Al the Infidel

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2017, 10:51:55 AM »

On another side, if a charitable organization were to send a representative to Thills to purchase fish for a benefit dinner could this person be in violation of DNR possession rules? Or on that matter, how about a large family reunion?

Probably, but, if one doesn't go around blabbing about it before hand they could care less. JMO Stuff like this is why the rule book isn't a pamphlet anymore.
Al Johnson~ SEMPER FI

Redrover

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2017, 11:29:02 AM »

I dont think there would be any trouble.

You can buy all you want at a retail store as there is a paper trail from
Thills to the market to the puchaser and taxes are paid all along the way.

If you have your receipt for your fish you are fine. Even if you do not have your receipt there is a record to cover you at Thills.

But if you went out and caught too many you probably do not have a receipt and Thills may have a copy from your purchase
but  if you are already supected of  taking too many your purchases may save you but now the eye of John Law is watching you...

Under the "limit" way of thinking why wouldn't Thills be raided for too many fish?

backwoodswalker

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2017, 08:16:30 AM »

I bet thrills has a commercial fishing license. Total different set of rules.  Way too many laws and regs anymore. Need to be a attorney to be legal. Got "popped" at tip up town of the u.p few Years ago.  My wife went with me. She was using one of my spare tip ups. Had my name on it so my 2 and her one made it 3 with my name. Plus my jig pole. 200 bucks for too many lines. 75 more because I did not have paper registration for my tundra.  They were ticketing everybody for anything they could. Tip up town has never been the same. Sure miss the good old days when c.o's were friendly and regulations were simple.

Redrover

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2017, 02:21:38 PM »

Another good question for ask the DNR:

We cant transport firewood—the ad on the radio says you shouldnt even transport furniture

but there goes a logging truck to the paper mill...

Does the emerald ass borer not ride logging truck loads around the UP?

I am sure there are other questions we could ask does anyone have one?

eskysixteen

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2017, 02:54:37 PM »

There are counties that have a quarantine on them and some that don't depending on if EAB has been identified in those counties or not. Ash cannot be transferred from a county with a quarantine on it to one that does not. Mills in counties that do not have a quarantine will not accept ash harvested from a quarantined county and most mills make the loggers or foresters sign a contract acknowledging their understanding of the laws.

Redrover

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2017, 03:43:33 PM »

Excellent answer esky.

Heres another question:

With all the whining regarding the endangered coaster brook trout and the distinct possibiity that splake have been observed spawning with lake trout.

Why not scrap the splake planting and begin planting coasters at least at the rate splake were going in? They are practially the same fish.

It would quiet the whiney "the coasters are endangered" folk and (with the lack of chinooks in the rivers in the fall)
create a self sustaining fishery. In time the fly fishing crowd would go absolutely wild! (license sales?)

Dire Wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2017, 06:06:23 AM »

Three Lake Superior boarder States and Ontario entered into a Coaster Restoration Plan.  It was eventually scrapped when several studies subsequently determined that coaster brook trout were not genetically unique, simply brook trout that were forced-out of coastal streams during good production years or left voluntarilly to live in Great Lakes waters.  Most of the endemic coaster spawning streams are very infertile. In good production years for brook trout stocks the surplus fish essentially get sequentially "kicked" downstream when looking for holding cover, eventually entering the Great Lakes. 

If they are not genetically unique, they are not an endangered species, since they are just brook trout.

When I was working down in Ludington, we captured brook trout in open Lake Michigan waters on three occasions in gill nets set to monitor fish movements and concentrations around the Ludington Pumped Storage power plant.

Redrover

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2017, 10:19:53 AM »

I say whats the difference if thse fish are brookies instead of splake(?)
and if splake these are out on the spawning reefs with the lakers and may not even be sterile... arent they brookies?

Another question for the dnr.

In light of the "experiment" taking a turn in favor of the moose on Isle royale,
leaving the beloved wolf pack on the ropes,
the biologists in charge of the sanctity of the scientific method in this experiment have actually spoken of throwing our the rules and re-introducing wolves.
I can see how they feel as they probaby have very nice accomodations on the island  and they need those to keep the study going...

I ask—
Why not just take the surpplus moose to the mainland of the Upper Peninsula where the "wolf vs moose experiment "
is in full force and they can finally get down to the nitty gritty

and solve the mystery

of what is killing the calf moose in the Upper Peninsula?

Why not

Dire Wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2017, 05:41:45 AM »

Well, brain worm is the principal issue in the expansion of the moose herd in the U.P.  It's either a trematode or a nematode helminth parasite carried by snails (Intermediate host); fatal to moose but just a chronic infector to deer who continue to spread it.

Isle Royale is a Federal Park, so the MDNR has no say in how it is managed at any level. The National Parks Service has a hands-off policy, for the most part in population management. The last piece I read through on the Isle Royale moose was that they were overgrazing several areas of the island and had some major tick issues, both of which would be beneficially effected by increased wolf predation rates.

Trap and transport operations are not minor effort or endeavor...and they ain't free or cheap to carry out; particularly on a large geographic scale.

I would encourage you to contact the Mississippi State University Predator-Prey group running the doe and fawn predation study and shadow their team in the field for a few days. I suspect it would change your perspective regarding field research being a vacation experience. Their contact information is available on the MDNR website under their tab. Bring a ton of bug dope and some clothes you don't mind destroying.

Splake are a hybrid cross between brook trout and lake trout, with only around somewhere less than ten percent producing viable eggs and sperm to reproduce.  When hybrid fish stocks are considered, the fish with the largest chromosome count is usually chosen as the egg donor, while the fish with the lower chromosome count is the sperm donor. Because of nondisjunction issues during meiotic cell division in hybrids, you usually end-up with eggs and sperm that of different chromosome counts and arrays, so when they merge during fertilization they can't continue to grow and develop via mitotic cell division into larvae that are viable.   Coaster brook trout sampled via genetic analysis were determined at a number of sites in Lake Superior to just be strongly related to a variety of stream populations and not genetically discrete from these stocks...just lake populations of these same stream brookies. If they are not genetically distinct, they are not a unique stock of fish AND definitely aren't endangered or threatened species.  I assume the MDNR fisheries division is not concerned about them inducing massive genetic drift in the existing lake trout stocks, not everybody gets to "dance" during spawning, particularly if they show up at the wrong spot or at a slightly different time of year.

Al the Infidel

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2017, 07:06:44 AM »

Another good question for ask the DNR:

We cant transport firewood—the ad on the radio says you shouldnt even transport furniture

but there goes a logging truck to the paper mill...

Does the emerald ass borer not ride logging truck loads around the UP?

I am sure there are other questions we could ask does anyone have one?

Sure can't get your ashes hauled like the good ole days eh?
Al Johnson~ SEMPER FI

backwoodswalker

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2017, 09:22:48 AM »

They should be asked about the dam in republic. For years they close it to raise water level in basin. For one reason only. Republic fishing derby.  When they do this the river water level downstream drops dramatically.  The flow slows way down too.  At Leif Erickson park you can walk across barely getting ankles wet. A couple years ago we canoed witbeck rapids to m95 bridge. Water was low and rocks everywhere. Worse yet was dead fish. I mean lots of them. I think they should look into the damage dine by closing dam.
Pages: 1 [2]