upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Big Bay de Noc  (Read 880 times)

seawolf

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
Big Bay de Noc
« on: May 30, 2017, 08:02:38 AM »

Fished four days over the Memorial Day weekend. Caught two walleyes. Released both. Pretty sad commentary. Have been fishing the bays de noc for 25 years. Bought property on big bay 15 years ago, planning on retiring here and building a home. The monster walleyes were the draw for me. Now that they may be gone, I have to guestion my future investment. Don't think that some people realize the economic impact the loss of a fishery has on a community. Looks like the DNR has also given up. The Nahma boat dock was 4 inches under water, outhouse  vaults were full.  Tried different numbers to call, all went to voicemail. Southern Green Bay has all the invasives and natural predators, but there waters support healthy walleye populations. Judges can make rulings but Mother Nature will decide the final outcome. Think we all need to practice "selective harvest". 

Teacherman2

• New Guy
    • View Profile
Re: Big Bay de Noc
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 02:57:28 PM »

We used to fish for eyes all summer long on the Bay, its what got us started in Big lake fishing. We now go up to Lake Superior instead, at least there are some Lake Trout left. My mom always told me you get what you deserve she was probably right.

Dire Wolf

• View Profile
Re: Big Bay de Noc
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 03:40:08 PM »

After listening to the GL Law Enforcement Unit's supervisor, most of their time is now directed, per the Governor's office, on aquatic invasive species introduction interdiction efforts...seriously, far fewer hours in the field and far less time on the water doing patrols, with a 221% increase in complaints related to violations; most of these subsistence fishing issues. Far more time is now spent in bait shops, fish markets, fish wholesalers.  The good news, under the new commercial fishing regs. they can hit any restaurant selling illegally caught fish with some major fines and penalties.

Under the new(er) recreation license plate tab legislation, a lot of the boat ramps are now under the Parks Department's oversight, with some very odd responsibility relationships. Example: Blueberry X-ski Trails are under McLain State Park oversight. The groomer actually is based in L'Anse...go figure on what happens after a major snowfall regarding timely grooming.