upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Best fish finder/gps for big lake  (Read 888 times)

5loaves2fish

• View Profile
Best fish finder/gps for big lake
« on: June 10, 2017, 10:19:03 AM »

What's everyone's opinion as to the best unit out there?  Not looking to break the bank, but will spend the money if it's worth it. Have used the lowrance hds 5 in the past. Like it, but it's time for something new. Will be used almost exclusively for Lake Michigan and Superior. Fish finder is probably more critical than the gps.
banjo holsworth

St Marys Troller

• Two Rivers Coho 13May17
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Best fish finder/gps for big lake
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 07:35:02 AM »

I have had a Lowrance on my boat from day 1 and wouldnt trade it for anything other than a newer model. Currently have the HDI 7 and it does everything I want it to. My gps is an old Eagle Intellimap from the early 2000s, it still works. Not a fan of humminbirds. Look into the HDI 9.
Poor Boys Outdoors
Joe Picotte
Starcraft 176 Fishmaster
"Gold Troller"
USCG Two Rivers Wisconsin

ricwayne

• New Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 04:18:18 AM »

Hummingbird is a decent product and it is not too pricey.

Big Fish

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 07:27:04 AM »

Picked up a Garmin Echomap 93 sv a few days ago on sale. Chirp, Down View, Sideview, Traditional Sonar, and GPS with Lakemaps HD installed for detail contours. With my Cabelas  Visa was $719.00. So far I'm happy with the upgrade from a 10 year old Lowrance unit that crapped out. I do like Lowrance but couldn't justify paying $400.00 more for the Elite 9ti with a map chip for the contour detail I was looking for on the Great Lakes.  The Lowrance HDS 9 was another $900.00 with the total scan and map card.  I mostly use the traditional sonar and GPS screens for trolling Superior. Picks up my cannonballs and even marks fish! This is not a touchscreen unit however.
Fred Kolky