upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Fishing kayak - sit in or sit on?  (Read 774 times)

riverraisin

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
Fishing kayak - sit in or sit on?
« on: July 07, 2017, 05:56:55 PM »

Hey fellow anglers-
I'm looking to buy a kayak for fishing trout streams and small lakes. Basically to get to some of those harder to reach areas. Do any of you have advice on which is best to use - a sit in or sit on kayak? Any pros and cons or general advice on kayak fishing?

Paddler

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Fishing kayak - sit in or sit on?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 06:22:59 PM »

Unless you're dead set on a kayak, a short, light canoe is a better option.  Easier to carry longer distances, and easier to fish from in general.  I have multiple of both, but do not own a sit-on kayak.  Canoes are far more practical in my opinion.

lerspame

• New Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 09:54:45 PM »

Kayaks are better if you fish alone, Very light, most come with good handles in case you need to drag it. Sit ins are better imo, just for storage purposes and some wave blockage if you go on lakes If you fish in cold weather, I don't see why you'd want anything but a sit in. I'd rather carry a kayak than a canoe by myself.

Super Yooper

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 03:34:00 PM »

A good padded yoke and a guy can carry a canoe quite a ways if it balances well but then your still stuck hauling your gear.  Some type of wheeled cart and kayak is as easy as it gets if you balance the load right and then the kayak and gear get hauled in one trip.  I've only owned sit ins and prefer them much more over a canoe for fishing.   
Bill Artwich
22' Starcraft Islander - "Fish Flu"
Iron River, MI

Paddler

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 08:15:56 AM »

I guess I misunderstood the goal.  I thought he was trying to fish "harder to reach areas."  I've carried my canoes all over Isle Royale, Canada, and the UP, furthest portages being 2.1 miles.  I carry all of my gear in one trip, every time.  Zip-tie loops in the canoe to hold your paddle and rod(s).  Stuff your life jacket or cushion into the end, and carry a small daypack or beltpack for your lunch, water, and tackle.  If you're talking a leisurely stroll from the parking area to the kayak launch then a wheeled carrier is tough to beat, however, you won't find many real good fishing areas at the end of a well-worn smooth trail.  If you find carrying a kayak easier than carrying a canoe you are carrying your canoe wrong or it's too large for solo use.  There is no comparison.  I have an 11' aluminum that weighs 37lbs, a 11'6" fiberglass that weighs 53lbs (which is on the heavy side for longer jaunts), and a 14' hand-built canoe that weighs 24lbs.  The ultimate fishing pack in boat.  My river kayak is a fun toy, but I wouldn't want to carry it far!  It's not the weight, just not practical.  All just my opinion of course, your mileage may vary.....

ricwayne

• New Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 05:02:38 AM »

I prefer a SOT kayak because I can move around a lot.