upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Any walleye to be had?  (Read 749 times)

greog86

• New Guy
    • View Profile
Any walleye to be had?
« on: July 11, 2017, 01:45:10 PM »

Is anyone fishing eyes anywhere out of Escanaba? There hasn't been reports on here in a month... When I lived there a decade ago there used to be an incredible population. Seems like its not the case anymore.

I was checked by 2 DNR officers over the weekend of the 4th, thought I would pick their brains on the topic. The officer based out of MQT said LBDN sucks for walleye now unless you can spear them.

We're heading up for this weekend and would love to get out for some eyes. Not looking for da secret spot eh but would like to know if its worth the time to target them at all.

THE BAIT SHOP GUY

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Any walleye to be had?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 04:14:16 PM »

Normally, this about the worst time of year to fish them in the bay. Too much natural food to compete with, (mayflies and alewives.) That said, we've had some unusually good reports this past week from across the bay.

One gal said her and her husband got a limit trolling harnesses in the upper bay, late last week.

Water levels have dropped, and the temp has climbed in the Escanaba River, turning that bite on, again.

Ford River has been giving up a few fish on the south wind days.

Good luck this weekend. :thmb:
CHRIS WAHL - BAY VIEW BAIT and TACKLE

Little Bay de Noc fish-a-holic

"Last time I saw a mouth like that, it had a hook in it."

crazyeyes

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Any walleye to be had?
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 10:17:37 PM »

From what I have heard the walleye fishing has been hit or miss. Like Chris said if you get some good Southwind you can do pretty good I think. But I haven't been out in two weeks. The last time I went out I caught a small walleye and a sheepshead.  Even with ideal conditions it's hit or miss. Good luck!