upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Indian fishing regulations/agreements published?  (Read 1003 times)

larboc

• View Profile
Indian fishing regulations/agreements published?
« on: July 31, 2017, 02:48:33 PM »

I've looked around and haven't really found any kind of official document that gives the rules and regulations of indian commercial fishing in the great lakes. I'd just like to be able to educate myself so I can discuss the rules intelligently whenever the subject comes up.
Things like limits, boundaries, equipment, season's, species, etc.
11' starcraft "NoKanDoo"
16' Invader tri-hull "Spirit of Dan Seavey"
22' Cruisers Mackinac, "The Green Machine"
Homeport-Painesdale, MI

jd fish

• 2 beautiful Sayings, love you grandpa, & FISH ON
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Indian fishing regulations/agreements published?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 05:22:41 PM »

Google, concent decree, Michigan DNR final and you should find what you need
THE 4 "F"s of my life
1. Fishing
2. Flying
3. Friends
4..............Forgot.

Tin Lizzy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 07:20:48 PM »

All in all, there are no rules or limits.  Sure, there might be some that were written, but there is no enforcement or oversight.  So, they all just put out as much net as they want, in waters they shouldn't be in, and take as much as they want.  In my mind the only way to stop it or start enforcing it is for the federal gov't to cut the purse strings, and let all the free money dry up.  But we all know that is never going to happen.  Just because their great-great grandparents got the shaft, they think they are entitled to whatever the hell they want.
Rod

Dire Wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 05:55:07 AM »

Consent Decree covers Treaty of 1836 waters. For Treaty of 1842 waters via the Treaty of LaPointe (sp?), which covers from the mouth of the Chocolay River west on Lake Superior, go to the Great Lakes Indian Fish and Wildlife Commission's website...but Rod is basically correct in terms of  degree of enforcement and depth of punitive efforts for violations.

EPA and USFWS funding are  the two main sources of dollars, outside of USHHS.

Interesting to hear the EPA director state they are going to focus on Superfund site cleanup; with over a thousand existing sites, they likely will achieve a Deer Lake level of success...contaminant still  remains in fish and soil at levels rendering them at Do Not Consume tissue levels in fillets, but the site has been removed.

Oh, by the way, the Superfund clean-up process constitutes a little under 36% of EPA's total annual budget.  I guess Mr. Pruitt is going to give the rest back to build those four remaining carrier task force groups so the Golf-Course-Developer-in-Chief can project his ego around the world.  Look-out Venezuela, here we come!