upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Great Lakes Salmon Initiative  (Read 649 times)

Dire Wolf

• View Profile
Great Lakes Salmon Initiative
« on: August 03, 2017, 09:23:35 AM »

A friend sent me a PM regarding the Great Lakes Salmon Initiative...

The GLSI is soliciting support monies form sport fishers to lobby in Lansing  within both the legislature and the Steve T. Mason building to solicit greater support for a salmon focused fishery management scheme on Michigan waters of the Great Lakes, with major focus on Lake Michigan.

Their website contains a broad summary statement regarding sizeable numbers of private hatchery Chinook planted in rivers in Canada, implying that these fish are skewing the CWT estimates of the wild origin Chinook stock proportion.  No support data. No documentation. JUST a statement...

Here is a doctoral thesis study from the post-crash interval 2008-2010 from Canadian side Lake Huron waters, focused on determining the proportions of hatchery origin and wild fish, as well as their source waters in Lake Huron.

You make your own determination regarding the validity of the GLSI group's claims:

http://ir.lib.uwo.ca/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=6098&context=etd

Dire Wolf

• View Profile
Re: Great Lakes Salmon Initiative
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 12:47:43 PM »

I received a PM from someone who made a vey good point. I failed to mention that this doctoral research occurred in the interval immediately prior the MDNR acting to cut Chinook plants from 1.5 million in 2011/2012 in Lake Huron to around 300,000 fish per year, 250,000 of which are part of a CORA mandated plant at Nunn's Creek per the Consent Decree, with the remainder planted at Swan Creek and the Cheboygan River, all within Consent Decree Agreement waters.