upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Stannard Rock  (Read 873 times)

Fishoil

• View Profile
    • Email
Stannard Rock
« on: September 11, 2017, 10:37:48 AM »

The board has been pretty quiet lately so I thought I'd post an actual fishing report.

We made the trip out to the Rock Saturday (9/9) and had a good time, the fishing could have been a little better though. We left Big Bay about 5:30 AM and ran out in calm seas, arriving well before the sun cracked the horizon. We started out casting spoons and jigging on a shallow hump and picked up a half dozen or so. After deciding that wasn't enough action we moved to an area where we did good 2 weeks ago. That spot has a big area of 75' water and breaks sharply to 140'+. It held lots of fish but they weren't very cooperative, we caught fish but nothing like we expected given what we were marking. Later in the day we checked a few humps that were covered with small fish last time out and they were still there. By now the wind was picking up and I had to hold the boat with the engines over the spot. My 2 buddies were hooking fish as quick as they could get a jig down but they were all small. The attached picture is of the graph at this spot and shows 2 fish coming up on a double for them. We ended the day back on the 75' spot and got a few more.

The ride in proved interesting as the waves steadily built until we were running in 4 footers for the last 5-10 miles. There were several other boats out there including 2 guys in a walleye boat. I sure hope they got in long before us, otherwise they had a pretty bumpy ride. Once again the weather guesser was wrong about the wind, no surprise there. We still had a good day but the numbers and size of the fish was a little disappointing. I don't know if I'll get another trip in this year but if the wind gods smile?? Maybe...
Steve

Fishoil

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Stannard Rock
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 02:53:04 PM »

When we were  out there for this trip we noticed a buoy on the reef that I had never seen before. I found the reason for it on Daybreak's website: 

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2017/09/lake_superiors_waves_will_be_s.html

Hopefully it'll be transmitting data again soon. It looks like it started transmitting on 9/11 and stopped on 9/15. It would be great to have real-time wave reports from out there.
Steve