upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Recommendations for a decent, cheap trail camera?  (Read 299 times)

catchafew

• View Profile
Recommendations for a decent, cheap trail camera?
« on: September 12, 2017, 01:14:07 PM »

It’s my first time that I’m thinking of using a trail camera, I’d like to know what’s coming in, I have plenty of traffic but I can’t find any rubs or scrapes in the area.  I have to be honest with you after reading all the posts about them getting stolen I’d rather go cheap and decent vs. the ‘best’ and most expensive that will disappear on public property.  Any camera recommendations or features that are really nice to have that won’t spook game as much or alert people as much?

After reading the camera stolen posts so much I’m thinking I’m going to have to climb some really high tree and try to point the camera into my shooting lane.  I assume some trail cams have a base that will allow you to pivot/angle it in the right direction?  I like the idea of having a cam on the ground if I can camouflage it as well enough and it will still works well so as to stay out of the line of site of people walking through.

Thanks 

little buddy

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Recommendations for a decent, cheap trail camera?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 02:34:37 PM »

Reconyx.
Adam
Little Buddy
Id rather be lucky than good!

catchafew

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 04:44:07 PM »

Reconyx!   lol

Naptime!

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 07:07:19 AM »

Wildgame Innovations cameras work great for the price!

UPAKenny

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 08:57:49 AM »

Browning.

I'll also add that I've never had a camera stolen or even messed with here in da UP.  Hope your luck is as good...
Kenny

Blacklab

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 10:07:39 AM »

I'd stay away from Moultrie and cameras that take less than 8 AA batteries. I found my Moultrie camera that takes 4 C batteries doesn't work below 50 degrees which is really sad at $150. Not sure of the brand but my buddies $300 camera that took 8 AA batteries worked extremely well in below zero temperatures with outstanding picture quality. The reality is you get what you pay for. With the flood of the game camera market I would stay away from any off brands and go with a company that has been around awhile.

OneLittle

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 11:57:39 AM »

I use trail cameras a ton.  I have had very good luck with Wildgame Innovations.  They work well for the price, the only issue I've had was that I had a couple cameras that wouldn't shut off unless you opened the battery compartment to kill the power.  I've also used Bushnell and don't have a bad thing to say about them either, but they are more expensive than the Wildgame trail cameras.  I will not use a camera that doesn't have a black flash. 
Joe Pigeon
Newberry, MI

vmthtr in green bay

• View Profile
    • Email
You may find me shot in a ditch... but I will do everything in my power to be found laying in a pile of empty brass...