upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Dead river basin Q  (Read 3812 times)

UPHAWKEYE

• View Profile
Dead river basin Q
« on: May 11, 2010, 03:22:42 PM »

After the Silver Lake basin levy broke and flooded the Dead river basin, has the DNR done any fish stocking in there since?  I looked on the DNR site but couldnt find anything.  Anyone do any good out there?  Its been a while since I have fished it.  Thanks for any info.
Brad R. Little Lake

249er

• View Profile
Re: Dead river basin Q
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 11:08:39 PM »

pretty sure they planted lake trout at least! I have seen some nice ones caught in the last few years.
Josh Niemela
Boat Name: 249er
Home Port: Upper Harbor

tangent_vector

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 06:33:39 PM »

Lots of walleye in there; typically a bit on the smaller side, but it's been a while since I fished it.  Also some HUGE northerns.  They did throw some lakers in there, likely congregated around the dam, where there is deep (100 feet or so) water.  Talked to a couple of guys there this winter that pulled a few through the ice within spitting distance from the dam.

I've had the best luck for walleye on the west end.  The only boat launch is currently down of of Co. Rd. 510, right near the dam, and it's a pretty good run up to the west end (something like 12 miles).  A couple of the campers wrangled with the DNR and the camper's association, and were successful in getting the old launch on the west end closed.    They will be building a new launch this summer, in order to comply with the FERC permit for the dam, it will be off of "Red Road", somewhere near the Boise river.  That one will be a real pain in the ass, as you'll have 10 miles of washboard county gravel road to get to it.

Watch out for stumps when you get up towards the west end, particularly once you get beyond the Boise river.  It always had been a mine field through there, probably no better since the Silver Lake dam let go.
Keith

UPHAWKEYE

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 07:48:22 AM »

Thanks for the info.  There are some nice smallies in there too.  My wifes uncle had a place on the west end and I could always go straight out from his place and catch walleye.  Gonna have to get back out there this summer.
Brad R. Little Lake

UPHAWKEYE

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 10:06:57 AM »

AH, I found it.  MDNR stocked it with almost 40,000 walleye in 2004 and 2006.  The ones still around should be in the 12 1/2 to 15 1/2 in range.  They have also put 1812 lakers in there in 2008 in the 26-29 in range.  Gonna have to hit it soon.
Brad R. Little Lake

Al the Infidel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 12:02:44 AM »

3 yr ago I got some nice perch fishing a small black jig n a piece of worm that looks like a wiggler of sorts while fishing for wallies. Best luck for em was in the stumps, thicker the better.
Al Johnson~ SEMPER FI

Bruno

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 10:15:06 PM »

Went there over opening weekend and did pretty good, 4 keepers and a few dinks.  We were way on the west end where the power line crosses the basin. Have done pretty good on pike through the ice.  Crawlers or leeches seem to work well.  Lots of stumps up that way so be careful if you go to the west end

Bruno

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 10:43:31 PM »

opening weekend walleyes

[attachment deleted by admin]

Bruno

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 10:49:00 PM »

pike pics

[attachment deleted by admin]

Itll Do

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 12:12:58 PM »

believe it or not that is the first time i have seen a pike over 24 inches come out of that basin and i fish it 5 to 6 times a year. now you got me jealous lol beautiful fish
Justin Hockin

tapsboy68

• New Guy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 04:31:06 PM »

what kind of shore fishing is there on here?