upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: 2010 Marquette Bay Classic Tourney Rules  (Read 9343 times)

Daybreak

• View Profile
    • Daybreak Charters
    • Email
2010 Marquette Bay Classic Tourney Rules
« on: September 03, 2010, 09:35:44 AM »

2010 SSFA Marquette Bay Classic   Start time 6a.m. on Saturday, September 11th, 2010  

--Fishing Classes: Catch and Keep Salmon and Trout, and Live Release Salmon and Trout (You may enter all 4 classes for one entry fee)

--Rank will be determined by the TOTAL weight of the 6 largest fish in a class, per team, or total weight of ALL live release catches. A team may enter all 4 classes however classes MAY NOT be combined.  ONLY 6 Fish per class per team will be weighed.  DONT bring more then 6 fish per class to the weigh-in.  Its up to you to select your 6 largest fish to be weighed.

--Live Release MAY NOT bring in more than the legal Michigan Limit for their boat at one time. (20 fish max)

--Teams of 1-4 anglers per boat.  Boat fee per team is $125.00

--Tournament waters are inside of a line extending North from Laughing Whitefish Point, and East from Big Bay.

--ALL boats MUST leave from the Presque Isle Marina/Launch, Cinder Pond Marina/Launch, the Fish dock, or Association dock.

--ALL boats MUST be inspected by a tournament offical BEFORE leaving the dock or you will be disqualified.

--Starting time is 6a.m. on Saturday.  Boats MUST remain inside the breakwalls until the flare has been shot at 6a.m. and the tournament officals make the call on VHF channel 68. If you leave early, YOU WILL BE DISQUALIFIED.

--Channell 68 is monitered by tournament officals all day

--Weigh-in will start at 6:15a.m.  All fish must be certified fresh or live by an official at the weigh-in.  ALL decisions made by the officials are final.

--ALL boats MUST be inside the end of the Lower Harbor wall by 3p.m. SHARP or you WILL be disqualified.   A tournament offical will be posted there to make the call.

--Boats MUST come to the weigh-in to drop off their cooler BEFORE going to their dock. Drop off at least 1 team member and your catch, then get in line to weigh it.  Any boat that does not drop a cooler at the wall BEFORE going to their dock will be disqualified. Coolers that are carried up to the weigh-in will NOT be accepted.

--All Michigan fishing regulations apply during the tournament

--There is no minimum age, however, minors must fish with an adult.

--All members of a team must fish in the same boat.

--ALL fish MUST be taken within the tourny waters as described above.

--Steelhead, Brown Trout, and Coasters may ONLY be used in the TROUT class.  A Salmon is a Salmon, a Trout is a Trout. Period.

-Captains Meeting: Friday, September 10th at 7p.m. at Marquette Mountain Ski Area.  AT LEAST 1 MEMBER FROM EVERY TEAM MUST ATTEND THE MEETING.

--Alternete Date...Posting of a small craft warning by the NWS will result in the tournament being rescheduled for Sunday, Sept. 12th.  Forcast conditions will be announced at the Captains Meeting.  Anyone not wishing to fish on the alternate date will recieve a full refund of the entry fee.  If the weather turns bad during the tourney, the officals have the right to cancel the tourney at any time.  If at least 3 hours have been fished, the tourney will be considered completed.

Good luck to everyone and have a Safe and Fun day out there!  See ya at the Weigh-in!   :beer:
Captain John Tomczyk
Daybreak Charters   www.daybreakfish.com
Marquette, MI
Boat Name:"RELENTLESS"

AFFLICTION

Re: 2010 Marquette Bay Classic Tourney Rules
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 09:50:46 AM »

Well i guess the seagulls will be happy... Nothin like realeasing a bunch of manhandled salmon with no scales left.... huh()   

Daybreak

• View Profile
    • Daybreak Charters
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 11:38:18 AM »

For the record Ryan...

-There are plenty of experienced fisherman on shore running the release tank.  Any fish that does not look perfect does not go back. Period.  Those fish are added to the "dead" weight for that team.  A good portion of the "Live" fish end up going into the "Dead" catagory if they are not in great shape.  None of us are fans of throwing a bunch of dead fish back into the lake....See the guys in Upper Harbor in the small boat with nets for that.

-I think we released like 15 Salmon last year.  Not a real threat to the population.  Not exactly like theres gonna be hundreds of floating salmon around. I am 100% sure all of those fish would have died if they went into a cooler.  At least they have some chance when released.

-This has been discussed before.  An overwhelming number of members has voted to keep it in place every time.  People like it.  Its what makes our tourney different, and we take care and pride not to release fish that, in our judgement, wont make it.  Every team is welcome to kill every fish onboard.

:beer:
Captain John Tomczyk
Marquette, MI

AFFLICTION

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 12:04:30 PM »

For the record John-

I'm well aware that there is not gunna be "hundreds" of fish floating around the harbor.. And maybe 15 salmon could be detrimental to the fishery since there is only 25 in the area.. ;D  Of the expierenced fishermen how many can speak fish to ask them if they are able to swim away..??  ;D   And as far as the "overwhelming" vote on the live release, was that a vote between the South Shore panel members because i have been to the last 4 meeting and dont recall any vote of the sort... If people like it, great keep it in place, i was just expressing my point... :beer:   Good luck to all next Saturday..Hope the weather is better than this weekend!!! :beer: 

P.s-John If you want the tourney to be "different" im sure there is enough clever people in the South Shore to come up with something else.. wink()   JMO

RoDbEnDeR

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 12:08:23 PM »

AMAZING  PLEASE DONT MAKE ME BREAK OUT KUM BUYA AGAIN :kick:
Rob Kivela

The Bottom Bouncer Lure Rigger

FILET AND RELEASE??

Toolman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 12:26:38 PM »

I'll get the campfire started. :beer:
Ray Uimari
Take Three
Marquette, MI

Daybreak

• View Profile
    • Daybreak Charters
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 01:10:44 PM »

I talk about killing fish.....people dont like it

I talk about releasing fish.....people dont like it

I dont give a shit what people like anymore.   kiss()

Ryan...Your opinion is noted, and will be discussed at the next meeting.

The live release has been going on for a long time.  I have never heard anyone say that we shouldnt do it...until now, but I have heard dozens of comments saying its the best part of the tourney.  I have never seen dead fish floating in the harbors, nor have I seen piles of gull feeding anywhere, so i dont buy that at all.  I think until the "Affliction" Catch and Release study is complete, we will keep it in place. wink()  From the Salmon Catches lately around our harbor, I dont think we have much to worry about anyways.

Got that campfire going yet??  kiss()
Captain John Tomczyk
Marquette, MI

RoDbEnDeR

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 02:35:10 PM »

ILL BRING THE MARSHMALLOWS AND HERSHEYS SOMEONE ELSE GET THE GRAHAM CRACKERS
Rob Kivela

The Bottom Bouncer Lure Rigger

FILET AND RELEASE??

boedlicous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 03:17:35 PM »

Rob i'll bring the Graham crackers if Affliction brings the Cheese and whine!!!  :beer:
scott beaudoin
set up specalist and counsler and BOAT WHORE : )

Scale Chaser

• View Profile
    • Finn Tackle Company
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 09:15:05 PM »

I have caught plenty of salmon during this tourney....kept them alive for hours, sometimes 3 to 4 hours or more, in my live well......brought them in for "live release" and they are so lively I can hardly catch them to weigh them in.  Once put in the live tank on shore and weighed they swim off VERY well.  Many people can attest to this.  I/my crew do a very good job of handling the fish with minimal scale loss.  I have a special shallow hoop/rubber net just this one day of the year and the fish are in my live well immediately.  It's all in how they are cared for and the size of the salmon trying to be released.  If a salmon is too big (hardly a problem in Mqt) they have a really hard time being released because they fight to the point of exhaustion.  Any fish that are caught and attempted to be weighed for "live release" and don't make it, they are put in a cooler and put in the "catch and keep" class.  The "live release" portion of the tourney is what makes the Mqt tourney unique and people really enjoy seeing it year after year.  For the few salmon that are caught each year and released it's not destroying the population even if none of them survived.  I'm not saying that none of the salmon swim off and die hours later but the fish I have caught over the years are very healthy when released.  They really have no chance of survival if put in a cooler of ice after a blow to the head.  

One of the things I do know is......you can't please everybody.  Thanks for the HUNDREDS of hours that the South Shore board members & members put into organizing this great yearly event!  Good luck to all!!
 :beer:
Capt. Brad Muscoe
Marquette, MI
Boat Name: Ella Bella
www.finnspoons.com
Please "Like" us at
http://www.facebook.com/FinnTackleCompany

YooperTroll

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 01:59:04 AM »

It seems as though Ryan found a way to keep this post alive. That might end up better for the show up number on Sat. And all of us know that there is at least 26 salmon around MQT. Oh and if you see some guy give fish C.P.R. at the end of the ore dock we will all know who that is. wink()
Luck favors the prepared

YooperTroll

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2010, 01:25:20 PM »

Great! Now a bunch of stuff is going to be deleted again. Can never have anything nice.
Luck favors the prepared

MikeM

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2010, 07:30:57 PM »

I dont give a SHIT if you put every fish in a bathtub full of rubber duckies and have a petting zoo!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was just saying if your worried about finding help get rid of it because it may or may not work anyway!!!!!!.. Sorry i yanked everyones panties up in your cracks.... There will be a few more fish swimmin around for everyone on saturday because i will NOT be fishin it and as far as that goes you can light your campfire with my SSFA membership, and i got a feeling you will have a few more to add to it....!Whine hey Scott???? wink()

Ryan when you start out a discussion with a statement like you did,("Well i guess the seagulls will be happy... Nothin like realeasing a bunch of manhandled salmon with no scales left.... huh   ") you certainly have to expect some responses just as harsh. The for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction thing. But even so, it was said that your opinion was held with enough value that it will be discussed at the next meeting. You guys are letting emotions over ride common sense and shared love for the sport.

Yoopertroll. I fail to understand the statement about deletions. I rarely see anything being deleted. And if I feel the need to delete something, I will PM you and explain why I felt this way straight up.

MPD068

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2010, 08:29:51 PM »

John,

Can we register at the Captains meeting or do you need to pre register?
Blake
"HOT PURSUIT"

Scale Chaser

• View Profile
    • Finn Tackle Company
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2010, 09:22:28 PM »

Blake,

You can register at the captains meeting.   Lots people do. Good luck!
Capt. Brad Muscoe
Marquette, MI
Boat Name: Ella Bella
www.finnspoons.com
Please "Like" us at
http://www.facebook.com/FinnTackleCompany
Pages: [1] 2 3