upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: 2010 Marquette Bay Classic Tourney Rules  (Read 9351 times)

AFFLICTION

Re: 2010 Marquette Bay Classic Tourney Rules
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2010, 11:10:10 PM »

I thought i was expressing the "common sense"  side of it.. Pretty amazing that everyone is so worried about letting a few fish go during a 1 day tournament when the same people will fill the cooler the day before and day after..(Im pretty sure that these same people have released the few salmon they have caught this spring/summer/fall as well). Im a total believer in catch and release but this is a little carried away.  Again do what you want and what you think is right.....Mike-I dont really understand why you think my comment was harsh, Its just a little reality that some dont want to admit... And as for love of the sport there are very few that love the sport of fishing as much as i do and maybe thats why i got a "little" fired up...

PS- If i were to have a "somewhat live" release tournament i would probably limit it to the laker catergory because of both species they probably have the best chance of making it and only have it for only the BIG fish portion so if they live or die so be it....then i would have a 3 fish max per boat for both trout and salmon with a max of 6 fish per boat in the cooler.. Then i would throw so off the wall scenerio prizes in there to make it a liitle interesting...Or maybe have a slot limit like bonefish tournaments, then most of the fish will be released anyway..Just a couple ideas off the top of my head but what to i know...   

YooperTroll

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2010, 11:58:58 PM »

Ok Mike. Now I understand. Sorry about the confusion. I never tried to make anyone unhappy. Just hoping for a little humor in some of it. Fishing makes everyone happy and this web-site is all about that, as it should be. Thinking about the next time I go fishing or staying connected to the people that love the same sport I do. It's a great web-site.      LET'S get back to fishing and the 2010 MARQUETTE BAY CLASSIC!!!!!!!!
Luck favors the prepared

MikeM

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2010, 12:15:15 AM »

Harsh was not the best choice of a word, but I lacked for a better one at the time.

I think a lot of posts here were trying to inject humor. The problem is with the written words on the internet, it is sometimes hard to see the intent of humor and other emotions in the words.

AFFLICTION

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2010, 01:53:10 PM »

I have had a tournament layout in my head for a while and i was gunna bring it up at the next meeting but since i wont be there here ya go...

I dont like BIG fish tournaments for the following reasons, easy to cheat, doesn't award the "best" team but the luckiest so to speak, and none if any strategy etc..etc... And you know my stand on live release so i wont get on that horse again  ;D so i have been thinkin .......,and whala have a Random number tournament..

Random Number Tournament--- After having a captains meeting to discuss the average size of the fish for the year come up with a low weight and a high number to shoot at for your winning weights in both big fish and total of 3 or how many ever you want to have... For example the salmon are running 5-12 lbs this year. So if you gunna have a 3 fish tournament the random number would be anywhere in between 5 and 36. The kicker here is that the Random number will not be announced until the tournament morning on the radio before the start so nobody will have a clue.. the cool thing about this is its major strategy and it cuts way back on the chance of any cheating..

Example---

Tournament morning... The calculator shows a random number for the salmon 3 fish catergory of 18.32 lbs and a big fish weight of 12.45.So the closest team without going over is the winner.. And the laketrout would be higher since the fish usually run bigger so it would be someting like 36.78 and 22.43...Another kicker here is remember you cant go over... Also you can have limit on how many fish you can have per boat so that you can release them when they should be released... Options here are endless and i could type all day but im sure you get the point..

AFFLICTION

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2010, 01:56:23 PM »

Hey Scott, I forgot to add that since i am not fishing saturday im having a WHINE "tasting" get together and your more than welcome to join if your not fishing on somebody elses boat....  shock()

RoDbEnDeR

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2010, 02:24:35 PM »

I have to admit I like the format of that tournament - The only problem I see is the captains meeting and weigh in is going to be 4 days long tryin to explain the concept.  A few will grasp the method but most will be starry eyed trying to figure it out.
Rob Kivela

The Bottom Bouncer Lure Rigger

FILET AND RELEASE??

boedlicous

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2010, 02:40:32 PM »

Affliction i also like the above format!! And i appreciate the invite to join your "WHINE" party on saturday,but i will be supporting the ssfa and fishing the tourney on someone elses boat!!  ;D
scott beaudoin
set up specalist and counsler and BOAT WHORE : )

AFFLICTION

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2010, 02:44:18 PM »

That sucks Scott because you were the only one that i invited.... cool()

Daybreak

• View Profile
    • Daybreak Charters
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2010, 04:08:43 PM »

First off, we dont have a "Big Fish" tourney.  Thats exacty why each team weighs 6 fish per catagory.  1 big fish is luck, 6 big fish...not so much.  Seems the best way to me.  I am with you Ryan, I hate the Lake Michigan tourneys that are all Big Fish derbys.  I can come in with 12 fish all over 15lbs, and some guy with 3 shakers and a 25lber he caught pulling lines will win.....but thats just part of it I guess.  The winning fish could bite at any time.

I see the idea behind your "tourney" and I kinda like it, but with all that "Randomness", dosent that take ALL the skill out of it and make it even worse than a big fish tourney?  I guess I have figured out how to target Smaller fish, and Bigger fish, but not yet can I target a 6.12lb. fish.

With all your good ideas Ryan, its a shame you never offered your opinion at any meeting....ever.  We both know you are an intelligent guy and a good fisherman.....why not bring that to the table at a meeting instead of BS'ing on a forum? I know your comments were probably not meant to sound harsh, but they did.  NOBODY has EVER mentioned canning the Live Release portion at a meeting as long as I have been around. Your input, and anyone elses is always welcomed and asked for.....but very few step up to volenteer their time to set something like this up.  It takes far more time and effort than most people relize to put something like this on.  It aint a few guys meeting and setting up a tourney in a weekend. 

And also remember, the current SSFA board has simply adopted the format that pleased everybody for many years before we came on board. At every meeting we ask for input, suggestions, ideas, ect... to make thing better.  We get very few ideas, and even fewer that are willing to help make those ideas happen.  So we stick with what has worked in the past.

Its a shame your not gona fish the tourney......but we could sure use your help on the dock releasing fish if your not at your "party" with Scott?? wink() Stop down and have a  :beer:
Captain John Tomczyk
Daybreak Charters   www.daybreakfish.com
Marquette, MI
Boat Name:"RELENTLESS"

BoSeafus

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2010, 05:47:45 PM »

I was gonna mind my own business..........But, does this...
Good luck boseafus, put a whoopin on em man
Tie in with this.......
Its something deeper than that with one of the current board members and its not you John... In fact this individual better learn to treat people a little bit better and learn a thing or two or your gunna end up with a pretty small group in SSFA..
By any chance??
Jeff Branam

Marquette, Mi

AFFLICTION

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2010, 06:04:07 PM »

Not at all Jeff....I just meant since im not gunna be there i couldnt think of anyone else i would rather see win.. :beer:   

BoSeafus

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2010, 11:57:04 AM »

I'll be perched in a tree, far from the pond on Saturday! :dance: Time to get serious.........Good luck to the competitors!
Jeff Branam

Marquette, Mi

RoDbEnDeR

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2010, 02:41:42 PM »

GO GET BOO-BOO JEFFREY - ILL START THE PAPERWORK FOR THE FAN CLUB  grin()
Rob Kivela

The Bottom Bouncer Lure Rigger

FILET AND RELEASE??

YooperTroll

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2010, 11:51:44 PM »

Harsh was not the best choice of a word, but I lacked for a better one at the time.

I think a lot of posts here were trying to inject humor. The problem is with the written words on the internet, it is sometimes hard to see the intent of humor and other emotions in the words.
                                                                                                                                            I would just like to know MikeM, if you are trying to tell ME personaly something or was this intended to be for someone else or just general information?
Luck favors the prepared

MikeM

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2010, 07:29:10 AM »

It was a response triggered by your reply, but also a general statement. Not meant to be offensive to anyone. And not directed at you personally.
Pages: 1 [2] 3