upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: The ferns may be frosty but Largemouth Bassin' is hot!  (Read 9153 times)

pryal74

The ferns may be frosty but Largemouth Bassin' is hot!
« on: October 24, 2010, 10:04:55 PM »

Largemouth Bass fishing is still going strong.  Use a slower retrieve and work deeper structure for bigger bass.  Landed a dozen and lost just as many, including 3 giants.  It was a beautiful day with no wind.  The eagles worked the lake harder than I did, including the immatures.  Here are a few photos of some of the fish early in the day.

fishfinder

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: The ferns may be frosty but Largemouth Bassin' is hot!
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 05:42:34 PM »

Nice fish. ;D Were you flyfishing or using a spincast?
Nicholas Peterson

pryal74

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 09:50:20 AM »

The fish were too deep to fish with a fly rod this time.  After I found them, I put my fly rod away.  Most fish were on deeper structure or on the edge of deeper breaks.  I found fish every ten to twenty yards along this nice break and on every piece of structure along it.  I still fish smallies every time with my fly rod, but when they go deep I switch back to my spinning tackle.  Bringing in a 6 pound Largemouth Bass with my Sage Flight 7 weight was one of the highlights of my whole year.

Fishfighter

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 11:27:13 PM »

those sage 7 weights are great I got one last winter even small fish fight well when useing it try it with a spinning reel on it somtime when fish are to deep for flys
Josh Waters the fish yanked my ass from the stern to the bow

pryal74

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 02:01:57 PM »

You own a Sage 7 weight?!  Really?  What kind is it?  Mine is a Flight, the set up is around 800+ dollars.  I love it, best fly rod I have ever used.  It's not a z-axis but I honestly don't see much difference.

Jighead

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 08:09:27 PM »

A nice St. Croix will do fine as well. People can get a little nuts when it comes to their flyrods, but I don't think I'm that bad.

Fishfighter

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 11:03:45 PM »

mines also a flight my dad also has a sage but his is older it still gets the job dun thou

Jighead

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 10:06:08 PM »

Any flyrod can cath big fish, as long as it doesn't break. Buy a St. Croix to support local business and have a quality rod at a reasonable price. I will never give up my St. Croix rods. Fly, Spinning and Baitcasting. Can't beat em' for the price and quality. Doesn't take a $500-$1000 rod to catch fish. Trust me. Even a South Bend or Uglystick can catch anything. A good friend of mine taught me this. A worm and a hook is all you need. Sometimes price is a status symbol. Whatever.....

Fishfighter

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 04:26:38 PM »

I'm not saying that you can't catch fish with cheaper rods the rod I use the most is a ugle stick even thou it is bent in the middle thats what I get for catching a salmon with a ultra light talk about a fight

Jighead

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010, 02:27:38 PM »

All those rods are good. Sage are real good too, they are light. I like the warranty factor on them, as well as the St. Croix models. My whatever was a, whatever you want type thing. They all work good. I just don't like getting goofy with prices. Fishfighter, I would love to hit up McDonald lake with you sometime to see where all those buggers hide in the winter. I fished last year and found sick amounts of weeds, but no fish. Even pike would be nice to get out there. Take me to your least favorite spot, I won't stalk you, I promise.

Fishfighter

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2010, 12:51:31 AM »

in that lake there are weeds all over if you can find a spot without weeds most likely its just a pocket of no weeds so jig it or set a tipup there I've had some crazy days there on the pike there is also a deep hole right out infront of the launch well deep for that lake 20 feet were there are catfish and walleye I have another spot I can tell you that I refuse to post thou that you can catch a bucket full of panfish at

Jighead

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2010, 12:58:34 AM »

That would be awesome. If you ever want to go, I will drill your holes and supply the bait, all you have to do is fish. I would love at least catching something out there. That lake has proved us well in the spring for walleye and pike, but we have never caught numbers and size. Thanks for the invite. You are a trooper. Hope you get a deer. Anything will be nice, the rack is always a bonus. Thanks.

Fishfighter

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2010, 01:06:41 AM »

you get alot of 24-25 inch pike and 16-18 inch walleye when you find them but I have got 18 and 19 1/2 inch smallmouth there as well as a 21 inch walleye also I was out fishing with this one guy there in the summer and a 37 inch pike came up and took a bite out of a planner board then went and hit the lure behind it

Jighead

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2010, 01:10:46 AM »

Omg. If you ever take me out, I promise to release anything you say. That kind of skill is awesome. I have never had a nice smallie, only a 16 inch largie out of that lake. Sounds like you know you terrain. You are a fishslayer. Thanks for the excitement. Should prove to be well. I will make it worth your while.

pryal74

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2010, 08:14:37 PM »

@ Jighead. Not any flyrod can catch big fish.  If you use an under-weighted size you can lose your line (which is expensive) backing and even your fly reel.  In fly rods, I will only use something of good quality now.  it's hard to find good quality without spending money.  In spin fishing rods, you don't have to spend more than 40 dollars for a great rod.  I use Berkley Lightning Rods and a Super 7 by Abu Garcia all customized.  One of my best friends and fishing partners uses all St. Croixs.  Honestly they don't cast farther or have any different feel to me (I fish 300 days a year and have fished for 25 years).  Just for the fact that there is no advantage and the huge pricetag, I will never own one.  I will always use Sage for my fly rods though.  Great feel, smooth ALSO American made and you can do anything to it and if it breaks, BAMM!  100% warranty.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4