upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: The ferns may be frosty but Largemouth Bassin' is hot!  (Read 9152 times)

Jighead

Re: The ferns may be frosty but Largemouth Bassin' is hot!
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2010, 08:20:11 PM »

True dat. StCroix's also have lifetime warranties. We should hit up some streams this spring. 300 days, wow, even flyfishing in the winter? Do you travel all over the U.P.? Yeah, cheap flyrods do make it tricky, and undersized ones the same. I like a nice StCroix for spinfishing. I thought StCroixs were make in Park Falls, WI. I have visited the shop there, pretty nice, even some cheap fixed up rods for $30-$100. Good luck, props to your flyfishing skills. You the man.

pryal74

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2010, 02:44:21 AM »

Yes we guide and I fish all over the U.P.  Lots of trips are already booked for next year and we just started.  I am very optimistic on the next season.  I do very well for all species but I have limited time with my daughter, work and school full-time.  I want to catch a Musky on a fly rod.  I have bagged alot of them with a spinning rod and guided clients on alot of them, but never caught one on a fly rod.  I never tried to yet either, so that will be a fun challenge.  As far as rods go, St. Croix are nice, I think the quality of their spinning rods isn't worth the money in my opinion.  I have fished a G-Loomis fly rod but never a St. Croix, I'll give one a try if I get the chance.  My first fly rod was this awful Martin when I was younger.  I had no idea how much difference there was, moving up to a quality rod.  I wouldn't trade my Sage for anything.  I am getting 2 more in Feb for this upcoming year.

whiteymalone

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2010, 02:49:12 PM »

It really doesn't matter if you're talking about a spinning or fly rod when it comes to quality. A very good quality rod will enhance the experience. A high modulus blank is lighter, more responsive, and way more sensitive than bargain basement blanks. There is an exception to everything though. For example, when spiking rods in holders while surf fishing, lower modulus blanks keep a set better without pulling the pyramid sinker out of place. One thing to remember is that it's not the make of rod as much as the model. Heck Chevy made the Corvette and Chevette at the same time. Just like St. Croix makes the Triumph and the Legend Elite. The Triumph is not made in the USA, and doesn't come with a lifetime warranty. This is more of a "status symbol' rod, someone just having to have a rod that says St. Croix. Croix's Premier series doesn't carry a lifetime warrany either. If you are looking for a good quality rod for a more economical price look at the house brands from Bass Pro, Cabelas, or Gander Mountain. I totally disagree that a superior quality fly rod is worth it, but a high end spinning rod isn't (or baitcaster for that matter). Cast a crankbait or a spinner with a with a low end or a high end rod and they will cast the same distance. But when you start your retrieve is when the night and day difference really shows. With my GLX's or Legend elites I can feel every blade rotation of the spinner. I can also tell if the lure has fouled. I don't waste a whole cast with a fouled lure, I crank it in as fast as possible and try again. As far as customer service goes, Croix leaves alot to be desired. They are WAY too slow on their turn around time. The average time for Croix has been almost three weeks to get a broken rod replaced. Loomis on the other hand is about a week. Last last time I looked Wisconsin is a hell of alot closer than Washington. I don't own any Sage rods, but I have casted several of their fly rods. I like the feel of the GLX a little better. Try a very good quality spinning or casting rod and compare it to the economy model next time you get a chance, I think you'll be very suprised. ~Dan
Dan Webb
Boat: Webb-Cast.Net
Home Port: Cinder Pond Marina

pryal74

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2010, 02:44:25 AM »

Whiteymalone, I don't know if you are replying to my post or jighead's.  Maybe you didn't read mine, if you are in fact replying to me.  First off, being a guide for many years, I get to sample many rods of many qualities.  As far as poorer quality rods, casting as far as great quality rods, incorrect.  Yes, the feel difference is monumental in better quality rods.  So many people buy ugly sticks and they are one of the worst quality rods you can buy.  A rod of quality bends from the tip first downward.  An ugly stick bends in the middle and is too whippy, which in fact can hinder your casting ability, feel and hook setting power.  My point that I already mentioned is that I thought St. Croix high end spinning rods were in fact not worth the money IMO.  As a guide I would look foolish using something that wasn't high quality and high in performance.  I can't afford not to, that's where comparison comes in.  I see lots of different kinds of rods, reels, combinations etc every year.  Having fished for over 25 years heavily, I have owned and do own many rods.  I trust in what works.  I think everyone with a 3rd grade education knows wisconsin is closer than washington.  But when I send in my rod to washington to be replaced with no questions asked and it arrives in about a week, why would I care about distance?!

Jighead

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2010, 04:08:26 PM »

I agree, with everything. I do like the St. Croix's and I did get them at a bargain. I have also fished with Sage rods, and they really are sweet. I just thought they were all super pricey, but that was years ago. The quality of the cast and feel with the Sage was really awesome. They were light and manageable. Yes, indeed with guiding you do need quality equipment that is friendly to the user, and of superior quality. I may just have to stock up on a few Sage rods myself, to try them out. I am going to stick to my St Croix spinning rods, but would enjoy swapping rods on a casual lake fishing trip for shits and grins. May just make me like them more. Keep up with the super skills and constant awareness of learning secrets and methods. Take care

whiteymalone

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2010, 12:42:58 AM »

The point was that a Wisconsin company company should be faster in a turn around time than a company half way    across the country, but they're not. I can drive to the St. Croix factory faster than I can fly to the Loomis factory. I didn't point my post at anyone. I just stated my opinion from expierience and all of the rods that I own, and the hundreds of rods that I deal with at work every year. Reddington has better customer service than anyone, if that matters. They are made in Korea, but they are a great "bang for the buck", with top notch customer service. Good luck out there! ~Dan
Dan Webb

whiteymalone

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2010, 09:35:31 AM »

"Honestly they don't cast farther or have any different feel to me (I fish 300 days a year and have fished for 25 years)."  ????   " First off, being a guide for many years, I get to sample many rods of many qualities.  As far as poorer quality rods, casting as far as great quality rods, incorrect." ????   A couple of direct quotes stating the opposite thing. I'll stick to my guns and say a bargain spinning rod will cast just as far as high end rod. Fly rods are a whole different story.
Dan Webb

fishfinder

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2010, 10:22:49 AM »

A bargain spinning rod will cast as far as a high-end quality rod? I totally disagree. I can really tell the difference when it's a cheap rod or when it's a good, quality rod. I do agree with you on flyrods though. That definitely makes a huge difference when it comes to casting and performance.
Nicholas Peterson

pryal74

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2011, 07:49:19 AM »

Bargain rods will NOT cast as far as a quality rod.  There are a FEW that are good and less expensive that high end, but I wouldn't call them bargain rods for sure.

Fishfighter

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2011, 02:01:33 PM »

Ive had som less expensive spinning rods that I could reay launch stuff with but I wouldnt call them bargain rods
Josh Waters the fish yanked my ass from the stern to the bow

fishfinder

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2011, 04:28:29 PM »

Well whatever less exspensive, bargain rods, same thing.
Nicholas Peterson

Fishfighter

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2011, 04:37:07 PM »

I call bargain rods wallmart combos
Josh Waters the fish yanked my ass from the stern to the bow

whiteymalone

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2011, 05:57:33 PM »

Let me clarify what I'm referring to as a bargain rod. I'm not talking about low end stuff. I'm calling rods in the $40 to $90 price range bargain rods. When I hear bargain I think of a good bang for the buck, money well spent, good performance for the price. Heck the afore mentioned Berkley Lightn' Rod is a hell of a bargain rod. When it comes to very high end rods, they have a tendancy to be brittle. I can throw a 1 1/2 oz. sinker way farther with a Gander IM6 than I can with a Loomis IMX or GLX. The reason being is that if I really load up the high modulus rod and crank a really hard cast, it'll probably break. It depends alot on lure weight what modulus rod will perform the best.
Dan Webb

Jighead

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2011, 05:15:00 PM »

Just make sure you wiggle your rod enough to catch somethings attention. Cheaper rods are nice, can catch fish, and don't make people tear up when they snap. Most flyrods have a lifetime warranty. Make sure your rod is your own, I cry seeing people breaking other peoples rods. I guess it is good to have a selection. Fish Pure Michigan under "fair chase" rules? I guess I have yet to understand this concept. Maybe all people will able to use are 2-3 foot rods and hand made lures.

pryal74

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2011, 12:21:02 AM »

I mentioned Berkley Lightning rods and they sure are.  I wouldn't call them a bargain.  I see your point though.  I have owned well over 20 of them throughout the last ten years and I think I have ten still.  I gave my brother a few of mine but still have the ten or so.  I still get to use them once in a while but mainly fly rodding now.  I even saw Berkley Lightning rods for ice fishing.  I almost bought 5 of them online.  I still have one of the first ones I have ever owned and it still hauls in big smallies, largies and walleyes today.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4