upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8

Author Topic: morel mushrooms!  (Read 28653 times)

Jighead

Re: morel mushrooms!
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2011, 06:45:29 PM »

I know it's a little early still, but I plan on gearing up for some serious shrooming.

Anyone have an idea on how much longer til they are plump for the picking? May 6-20th?

Last year was a bust, except for a nice fellow who hooked me up with 35 from his driveway. He said he hadn't seen a single one there in 9 years. I guess shrooming can be spotty from year to year, and I am still searching for the money pit of morels.

Hope all who are looking get some.

Make sure to post those shroom picks!

YoungFish

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2011, 07:17:57 PM »

I think they are allready gettin them down there right now. There is a Mushroom festival in Mesik every year. It is really cool and the people are great! There is a big carnaval and the hole town is revolved around Morals! There is moral restaurants, hotels, stores, and statues all over town. They are crazy about those things. For the past 5 years I have gone to it but can't make it this year. It's something too see. It's 30 minutes south of Traverscity I think.  Ma by a little further. Look it up!

Jighead

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2011, 07:23:21 PM »

Yeah I know of it. I have worked in that area. The town is pretty quaint. I haven't heard any reports yet on morels down here. Should be soon. The little bit of snow that was left has pretty much melted by today. The lilies are coming out, but the weather needs to be a bit warmer. I am guessing by the end of next week they should have some down in this area (Traverse City). Should be a few more weeks for the U.P.

YoungFish

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2011, 08:07:36 PM »

Yeah we got them good down in Mesick this time of year. It may have been another week. We would always go down there the weekend of opening trout. The town is pretty quaint for sure. They even have a Mushroom Tournament! I caught my first steelhead 4 years ago this time of year down there. We went down to Frankfort for an after noon and I caught it off a bridge that runs through town. There was a bike path right on it as a crowd gathered to watch me fight this steelhead. Fought it for 45 minutes. 10 pound female steelhead. I received a round of applause after I landed it.

Fishfighter

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2011, 08:29:05 PM »

no morals yet I looked today in westbranch
Josh Waters the fish yanked my ass from the stern to the bow

joehayman1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2011, 08:30:58 PM »

The mushroom's were up in Indiana this weekend...

;D

[attachment deleted by admin]
Joe Hayman

KillitandGrillit

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2011, 09:51:47 AM »

I'm itching for a morel feast as well. I will likely take a look around in a couple of my early spots this weekend...but my best success historically in the UP comes right around Mother's Day.
Damian Sleger

Jighead

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2011, 09:59:27 AM »

Those sure are some beauties. It is currently raining cats and dogs in Traverse City. The babies should be popping fresh by the weekend. Let's hope mother nature gives us a little love from above. Can't wait!

Thirsty Whaler

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2011, 06:15:15 AM »

Cool nights, warm days, and water...looks like a good year is shaping-up. Time to start checking the south facing hills.

Joe, we pick blacks up here. The white morels are later in the spring and much rarer. I had a spot over by Autrain that produced two grocery bags nearly every spring, then it died. I haven't picked a mushroom there in five years.

Jighead

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2011, 07:29:11 AM »

I am hoping to find some out here today West of Traverse City if I am lucky enough. All the years working in the woods and I haven't seen a single one, must be working too hard. I am going to give it a little more effort today, since I have this sick hunger in my belly for some grade-A morels. Hope they start popping. The critters are making all kinds of noises out there this morning, tis the season.

YoungFish

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2011, 07:08:43 PM »

Good place down there! Good luck shrumin! Hope you get a pile! Save some for me now! Supposenly going down there now!  Better save some energy to reel in those hunks of steel this weekend!  ;D

Thirsty Whaler

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2011, 07:34:09 PM »

Try cutover areas down there that have come back in beech, maple or aspen. Best place to try initially is just below the crest on south facing slopes. I usually cruise until I find one of the sites and then start looking for the mounds that esentially the remains of old rotted stumps. If you have leaf litter, try to scan just for tufts of leaf litter that are sticking up with morels pusing them up. Once you find one or two, stop and really start to scan the ground hard since they tend to grow in clusters. Below the bridge I did well in mixed aspen and maple highlands. Up here, transition zones from hardwoods to conifers and field edges seem to produce better.

YoungFish

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2011, 07:40:41 PM »

Great advice! Also look for dead elm trees. If there is any place where there has been a forrest fire recently check there!!!! Look on south facing hills with poppel also. Found alot of blacks in poppel

KillitandGrillit

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2011, 09:44:58 AM »

x2 on popple. I find the majority of my blacks growing in popple- usually right at the base of a mossy tree.
Damian Sleger

Thirsty Whaler

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2011, 12:46:44 PM »

Where is Jighead when you need him?  Common names: Big Tooth/Large Tooth, Trembling/Quaking Aspen="popple". Poplars are another species. This term is an upper midwestern colloquialism.  Those mossy based Aspens likely grew from suckers from a previous cut. Two houses ago, we had a temporary firepit area we designated for slash when we were clearing a space for the garage construction. For two years after that we would be able to pick about twenty black morels from that area, then they never sprouted fruiting bodies again. MSU michologists maintained that the pH shifted toward the basic range.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8