upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please use your real name at the end of posts as boat names get confusing. ><)))°>

Author Topic: Evinrude Etec Review  (Read 14709 times)

always gone

• View Profile
    • Northern Steel Outfitters
    • Email
Evinrude Etec Review
« on: June 10, 2011, 10:22:11 PM »

Been searching for my next ride, nothing serious, and it is years away, but always fun to dream. Started looking at Evinrude motors website and was amazed at some of the stuff I found. They seem to be really focused on selling 2 stroke motors and pushing their major advantages. It made me start thinking twice about a 4 stroke. I currently have a 4 stroke on my boat and have abosolutely no complaints, but it seems like these new 2 strokes are very nice.

Anybody own a newer High Output Evinrude. What do you think of it? What is the difference between the HO series and the normal series.

If you go to their website and view the motors they list all the key selling points. After reading this it made me feel like 4 strokes are a pile of sh*t.

One disadvantage I guess would be the oil cost. Do most 2 strokes need similar rates of oil? How much more of an added cost is this when you are fueling up (having to put oil in also)?

Thirsty Whaler

Re: Evinrude Etec Review
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 05:23:37 AM »

How expensive and messy and time consuming is owning and operating your car?  You have the same oil sump in it for lubrication as any four stroke, in fact, Honda actually uses several of the auto blocks as powerheads on their outboards! Where E-tecs really "shine" is in the repower market where many older hulls have transom weight limits well below a number of four-stroke motor weights. They are a very good motor, but not the end-all or be-all that their advertising claims. Yamaha's new V-6 four-strokes, Honda four-strokes, and Suzuki four-strokes all are excellent motors. Once you own and operate a four-stoke, you really appreciate the noise level reduction and the reality that you and your clothes don't smell like exhaust at the end of the day-very nice when you are living out of your boat for several of days!

fishful thinking

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 08:14:04 AM »

I recently switch from a Mecury Optimax (close to the same as an Etec) to a new Suzuki 4 Stroke. The noise level is considerbly lower than the 2 stroke. I get a little bit better gas milage and i dont have to put $32 a gallon oil in it everytime i go fishing. I was spending around $600 a year in oil on top of the gas bill. To me its a no brainer. The 4 Strokes are the way to go.........
CHRIS DEATSMAN
MUNISING
BOAT NAME:

Frank

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 07:41:45 AM »

2 stroke-4 stroke discussions can be argued either way, but they will all be 4-strokes before long. What got my interest is using $600 of oil every year. Optis, when running correctly, use 100-1 (or even less oil, depending on RPM) ratio when at cruise, way less at lower rpm's. Even at $32/gallon, that is somewhere around 2000 gallons of gas. I wonder if your engine was stuck in the "break-in" mode, which meters heavier oil injection.
Frank Schultz
Apple Man

fishful thinking

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 09:49:53 AM »

I run to Standard rock several times a year and probably fish alot more than some. ( maybe $600 was an over statement :beer:) but it was close.

And if it was using to much oil you think it would of prevented it from blowing up 15 miles from shore :mad:
CHRIS DEATSMAN
MUNISING
BOAT NAME:

AFFLICTION

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 10:09:48 AM »

IMO they both are good .. One thing about 4's is that there are  many more components to go bad over time. They are relatively new on the market right now but when they get many hours on them and its time for a rebuild its going to be a bit pricey.. In fact it would probably be cheaper to buy a new one.... shock()

If you decide to go with a 2 stroke the Etec and the Opti are the best 2 on the market bar none....

DooFighter

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 08:58:51 PM »

I went over both sides of the 2 vs 4 about four years ago. Both have advantages and I ran boats with both before buying. One thing I learned is the etecs are as good as they claim as long as you supply them with good fuel. If your fuel quality is poor the difference becomes poor running or even not running in a 4s vs. poor running and possible catastrophic failure with the etec.  Allthe safety failsafes don't have time to throttle back when you encounter a large amount of poor fuel at large or wide open throttle settings. Squeek go the pistons.

FWIW,  Yamaha and Tohatsu also have very good hpdi 2s systems.
Gary Tackman
SeeSwell

Alewife Advocate

finaddict

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 11:14:07 PM »

You have to remember information you are reading on any particular manufacturers website is very biased.  As with any motor there have been a few problems with the ETECs from blown motors to lower unit failures.  I've talked with many walleye pros that run them due to contigency money offered at tournys and most of them have had problems.  The normal public doesn't hear much about these failures due to nondisclosure agreements.  Don't get me wrong...there are alot of advantages to 2-stokes:  low end torque, high hp/wt ratio, and good fuel efficiency to name a few.  If I was strictly a walleye tournament fisherman I would probably hang a 2-stroke for the above reasons.   

With that said I am in my 7th season with my 200 hp 4-stroke Yamahas and have logged over 12,000 miles on them and close to 1700 trouble free hours.  Other than routine maintenance I have had zero issues and they run as good or better than the day I got the boat.  In the same time frame my brother has run a modern 2-stroke with 1/3 the hours of my yamis and gone thru 2 powerheads and has had a crapload of other issues.
Captain Jim McDonald
Fin-Addict Charter Fishing
906-370-7547
www.JJMacCharters.com

bubblehead

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 07:52:10 AM »

Just got back from Canada. I run a Honda 150 on a 20ft Lund. Our fishing partner was running a 150 Opti on a 19.5 ft Alumicraft. We fished the same water, ran the same miles, everything about identical. We used about 50 gallons of gas. He used just under 100. No brainer in my mind, especially with gas up there at $7.00 a gallon.
Bob Dobbe
Sven & Ole's Outdoor Adventures
We may not know where we are,
but you won't either.

RudyG

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 06:37:41 PM »

I wouldn't compare the OPti or a four stroke to the new Etecs when it comes to fuel economy, emisions or noise level.. no comparison. And weight on the etec is the biggest factor as someone stated. They need only one fill of oil per season.."less for the avg weekend warrior around here".. and emisions? ... here is an unbiassed opinion.. the EPA

According to the EPA, BRP was selected by the jury because its Evinrude(R) E-TEC(TM) technology has redesigned engine technology for boating. "The EPA jury originally thought they would have to go to a four-stroke engine to achieve such important air quality benefits. We&apos;ve demonstrated that our E-TEC two-stroke outboard engine carbon monoxide emissions are typically 30 to 50 percent lower than a similar four-stroke engine and, at idle, are lower by a factor of 50 to 100 times", said Jose Boisjoli, President and Chief Executive Officer, BRP.

This is the first time ever that a marine engine manufacturer receives a Clean Air Excellence Award by the EPA. Evinrude E-TEC is an advanced two-stroke direct injection outboard engine that produces lower exhaust emissions including lower carbon monoxide emissions than four-stroke engines, providing a cleaner, quieter and safer boating environment. E-TEC technology meets stringent 2006 EPA, European Union (EU), and 2008 California Air Resources Board (CARB) 3-Star ultra-low emissions standards.

Just my 2 cents after talking with a few pros myself. Umm... and no maintenance for 3 years? hmmmm? now... price? ouch. shock()
Ed Belhumer
Escanaba, MI
The RudyG