upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: SSFA Stream Cleanup Project  (Read 3054 times)

MAK

• View Profile
    • Email
SSFA Stream Cleanup Project
« on: May 04, 2012, 04:20:57 PM »

As mentioned during the Spring Meeting, South Shore Fishing Association (SSFA) will be sponsoring a stream cleanup project.  We are planning to have the event on Sunday, May 20, 2012 from approximately 10 am to 12 pm (noon).  The event will take place along Whetstone Brook in the City of Marquette.

The goal of the event is to get kids involved in learning and participating in the cleanup of one of our local streams that plays an important role in our local fishery.  We are inviting all SSFA members, their children, grandchildren, nieces, nephews, and friends to come out and participate.  We have also contacted Big Brothers/Big Sisters to invite them to participate as well.  At this time we are planning to have a fisheries biologist from Lake Superior Watershed Partnership (LSWP) participate in the event to talk to the kids about the importance of clean streams and the role they play in supporting Lake Superior fish.

We will be meeting at the City of Marquette Commons Building located on Third Street, one half block south of Washington Street at 10 am, prior to beginning the stream cleaning.  Lake Superior Watershed Partnership will give a short talk during the meeting.  We will then travel to the stream to begin the cleaning project.  When we are done, we will meet everyone at back at the City of Marquette Commons Building located on Third Street, ½ block south of Washington Street.  Refreshments and lunch will be provided for everyone who participates in the project.  Garbage bags and rubber gloves will be provided by SSFA and LSWP.

If you have any questions please call or email Mylan Koski at (906) 360-4027 / mkoski@trimediaee.com or Bill Flanigan at Bill@window-store.com / (906) 362-5165.

Hope to see you there!

Mylan Koski

Toolman

• View Profile
Re: SSFA Stream Cleanup Project
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 07:12:08 AM »

Sounds great Mylan!  I told my daughters about the idea after the meeting and they seemed very excited, they even asked me about it acouple times since then.  Count us in!
Ray Uimari
Take Three
Marquette, MI

MAK

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 11:45:52 AM »

We will be meeting at the City of Marquette Commons Building located on Third Street, one half block south of Washington Street at 10 am, prior to beginning the stream cleaning.  We will then travel over to the stream to beingthe cleaning project.  When we are done, we will meet everyone at the City of Marquette Commons Building located on Third Street, one half block south of Washington Street.  Refreshments and lunch will be provided for everyone who participates in the project.  Lake Superior Watershed Partnership will also give a short talk during the project.  Hope to see you there.  If you have any questions please send me a PM on this site, or call me at 906-360-4027.

Mylan Koski

highline

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 11:51:52 AM »

Sounds good! See you guys there.I remember fishing that creek when i was little,lotsa good memories!

JR
Dan Audette
boat name:Highline
Homeport:Marquette,MI
moonshine lures prostaff www.moonshinelures.com

musicmaker22906

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 09:07:52 PM »

Nice work SSFA!  Wish I could've helped!

Little story on TV6:

http://www.uppermichiganssource.com/news/story.aspx?id=756114#.T7mUko4mNSU
William Olesak

Negaunee MI

23' Larson Admiral 8000

Q107.7 WMQT
Charter Communications

SnIpEr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 09:32:38 PM »

Kudos to everyone involved. Would have been there to help but we were in Munising for the weekend. Maybe next time.

MAK

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 09:57:14 PM »

Whetstone Brook Cleanup 2012 is in the books.  We had approximately 40 adults and kids show up for the event held this Sunday, including kids from Big Brothers/Big Sisters of Marquette, the public, and SSFA members.  Prior to starting the cleanup work we met at the City of Marquette Commons Building to hear a few words from Ms. Geri Grant from the Lake Superior Watershed Partnership.  Geri showed the kids an example of the types of bugs that inhabit healthy streams, which are plentiful and provide a healthy diet for trout and other fish, while another example showed the types of bugs that inhabit unhealthy streams, which are few and included bugs that are known to be tolerant of lower quality water conditions such as streams with low dissolved oxygen, warm water, and that may contain pollutants.  

After our brief meeting we met at the City of Marquette DPW building and split the group up into smaller groups that hit the stream along different sections.  As you can see in the photos below, we found quite a variety of items in and adjacent to the stream, including lots of plastic bags, a big plastic tarp, paper, Styrofoam, a tire, a bicycle, a wheelbarrow, and multiple unidentifiable pieces of debris.  Ken Ohman from North County Disposal traveled along the stream picking up bags of garbage from everyone and handing out bottled water to us all.  

Following the cleanup we all headed back to the Commons Building for pizza.  I think everyone agreed the event was such a success and such a good time that SSFA will be planning more river cleaning projects in the future. On behalf of the SSFA Board I’d like to say thank you to Big Brothers/Big Sisters, North Country Disposal, TriMedia Environmental, and Lake Superior Watershed Partnership for their participation, and donation of materials to help SSFA make this a successful project.  Hope to see you at the next one!

Dire Wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 06:57:10 AM »

The remainder of the Superior Watershed Partnership Staff (Carl Lindquist, Hunter King, Chuck Lester,and myself) along with board member, Dr. Peter Zenti,wrangled 38 AMERICORPS crew members at the M-28 Beach Site on Saturday for the duration of the day. Stairway cleanup of the MDOT crew's work on Friday. Forty-some five gallon buckets of beach grass planted in blow-out sites, drainage gullies reworked,23 contractor bags of invasive species removed,and five poopy diapers along with general trash clean-up over the day. Those kids did a great job, plugging away for the day in 84F heat with no shade. Thanks to the folks at Quiznos Subs for keeping them fed!

BiG ARN

• View Profile
    • www.bubbablade.com
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 07:47:42 PM »

Kudos to everyone involved! Sorry I couldn't be a part of it
Captain Aaron Hendrickson
  BiG ARN's Charters LLC
 bigarnscharters@gmail.com
       (906)869-3361
   Boat name: BiG ARN ll
 Marquette,MI/Fairport,MI