upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Church Board Pin Fix.  (Read 7743 times)

Yoda

• Take a Kid Fishing
    • View Profile
    • Email
Church Board Pin Fix.
« on: May 29, 2012, 09:02:47 AM »

First off I got to tell you this was not my Idea on fixing the church boards, I gleaned it off the net a year or so ago, So I really can't take credit for it. I've never looked at the TX44 boards but everything should be the same except for the pin length and where you cut the groove.
We use the Church Walleye boards almost exclusively for pulling everything from 1 to 10 colors of Lead core, they work very well for us But they do have a bit of a flaw, and that's the "Plastic" pin that holds the line in at the back of the board. The Boats in Detour right now so I can't post any pictures until after this coming weekend.
Tools and supplies needed:
a Drill
Small file or very thin hacksaw blade
a Ruler
1/8 inch Brass or Stainless rod
here we go.

1.You can skip this oneI just pulled a couple boards out of the boat and you can remove the pin without taking the foam out First thing you have to do is get access to the pin at the back of the board, working from the back side of the board you need to pull the foam flotation off the back of the board, this "should" come out as 1 piece.

2. After removing the foam you should be able to see the whole pin, a spring, and a very small clip. Remove the clip and pull the pin put the clip and spring someplace where it doesn't run away ( the little buggers grow legs and run off on me at times)

3. Once the pin is removed you will need 2 measurements off that pin, from the BOTTOM, On my Walleye boards the factory pin is 2 1/2 inches long (Total Length) Now if you look close at the pin you will see a small groove cut into it, this is where that little clip snaps around, On my walleye boards it is 1 1/8 inches from the BOTTOM.

4. Now cut your brass or stainless rods to length, (I cut mine to 3 inches).

5. If you look at the factory pin you will see the bottom has a nice rounded bottom, take the piece of rod you cut and chuck it into your drill and round the bottom with your file while you are spinning it with the drill.

6. Now take the measurement from your factory pin from the bottom of your pin to the groove and mark your "New" pin the same.

7. If using a hacksaw blade to cut the groove in your new pin, chuck the pin into your drill so the jaws of the drill are on the mark so you can rest the hacksaw blade against them to cut your groove. If using a file it really doesn't matter, A triangle file will work the best but you can also use a flat file and just use the edge. Then spin the rod with the drill to cut your VERY SHALLOW groove. it doesent take much of a groove to hold that little clip in place.

Reassemble the the board with your new pin in place and make sure your new pin has the same movement the factory pin. and your done..

Just remember the measurements that I gave you are for MY CHURCH WALLEYE BOARDS. take the measurements from your pins I'm quite sure the TX 44 boards are going to be a bit different.
Also the piece of the pin that sticks out of the top of the board is a personal preference thing, The ones that are strait on my boards stick up about a 1/2 inch, I also bent some to a 90 degs for a better grip (Didn't need to) or if you want to get a bit Fancy you could ruff that end up and plasti dip them for a better grip..
Halcyon Charters L.L.C.
Owned and Operated by
John & Paula King
906-630-2206

Yooperdad

• View Profile
    • Mike's Eyeflies
    • Email
Re: Church Board Pin Fix.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 10:23:57 AM »

Great info John.  Thanks for the post.
Mike Paluda
Marquette
aka "Yooperdad"
www.eyeflies.com

UP POWER

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 12:13:09 PM »

I am not 100% sure, but I think the pins are univeral on Church boards.  i actually just bought a couple replacement pin kits at Jay's.  I wasn't entirely sure if they would work on my walley boards but I went and looked at all of the different sizes of Church boards on the shelf and they all looked to have the same pin in them.  The only one I didn't look at as closely was the TX44, but from the walleye board on down they were the same.
Adam Rahilly
"Twister's Sister" Wellcraft 240 Coastal

DooFighter

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 03:14:31 PM »

Thx John. That's how I kind of envisioned it but appreciate the details for simplifying it.  As soon as you said brass rod in that other post, I was like wow, no more overpriced pin kits every couple years!

Yoda

• Take a Kid Fishing
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 04:04:46 PM »

It's a real easy fix, and you can do at least 10 boards with 1 pc of rod, and so far they seem to be lasting forever for us, and we run mostly braid for our backing, something that will cut a groove in the factory pin in 2 or 3 uses..
Halcyon Charters L.L.C.
Owned and Operated by
John & Paula King
906-630-2206

chrisf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 10:12:47 PM »

Thanks for the greay fix!
Chris Fassbender
Sportcraft fishmaster 232
Boat name: spoontang

Dire Wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 09:38:38 AM »

Where were you able to get the brass rod?  Has anyone tried peening the tops of the rod flat?

DooFighter

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 12:03:46 AM »

Menards had it.  Havent done the work on it yet, tho.

Yooperdad

• View Profile
    • Mike's Eyeflies
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 12:22:54 PM »

I did 4 boards recently and it was a snap.....maybe 5 minutes each.  And yes Rick, I did flatten the rod tops to give something to hold on to.
Mike Paluda
Marquette
aka "Yooperdad"
www.eyeflies.com

Yoda

• Take a Kid Fishing
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 01:22:08 PM »

I was going to tell you guys Menards in Marquette had the brass rod, seen it a week or so ago while I was there,  Then forgot about it  :kick:
Halcyon Charters L.L.C.
Owned and Operated by
John & Paula King
906-630-2206

Youngfish

• View Profile
    • XXL Chrome Chasing- Great Lakes fishing team, guide service, and etc..
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 11:08:28 AM »

Thanks for the info John!! I have broke 6 pins this year so far off my boards. Going to fix them up.
Kyle McClelland-
XXL Chrome Chasing
 www.chromechasing.com
"Like" us on Facebook! www.facebook.com/xxlchromechasing

always gone

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 01:03:52 PM »

How do you manage to break 6 pins in one year. My boards are on their 7th season of use and I have never had to replace one. Do you step on them? grin()
Adam Petrelius

Youngfish

• View Profile
    • XXL Chrome Chasing- Great Lakes fishing team, guide service, and etc..
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 06:14:37 PM »

How is that possible? lol I break those things so easy. I'm pretty rough on my equipment though.  grin()
Kyle McClelland-
XXL Chrome Chasing
 www.chromechasing.com
"Like" us on Facebook! www.facebook.com/xxlchromechasing

always gone

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 11:42:33 PM »

I also have never had to replace the pinch release portion. Those Church boards are amazing and very well designed.
Adam Petrelius

Yoda

• Take a Kid Fishing
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2012, 06:22:23 PM »

I've broken 1.. this fix is for the slot the line cuts into the plastic pins. Braid is real hard on the plastic ones.
Halcyon Charters L.L.C.
Owned and Operated by
John & Paula King
906-630-2206
Pages: [1] 2