upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Help with new boat  (Read 14627 times)

WCScenario

• View Profile
    • Email
Help with new boat
« on: November 03, 2012, 07:32:58 PM »

Ok I know a few of ya have commented on some boats to buy and not to by being that i do 75% of my fishing out of Fairport and will have trouble getting in and out etc...
So I still am trying to decide when end of winter hits what kind of boat to purchase. I just want to start searching now and want to figure out what Exactly I am gonna be looking for. I plan on spending around 20k. I know that isn't a super lot , but usually I am good at finding deals. I am gonna travel anywhere in the US to get this boat if it is a decent deal and fits what I need.  So to explain what I need now with the best of my knowledge. I have always wanted a Tiara but would be happier with any higher end quality boat. Again I fish Fairport Alot. I would also like to try and hit every Tourny I can this summer even Canada and Lower Michigan. So I still need to travel with the boat. I did pick up a new truck and it is capable of towing up to 8800 that it's rated at and I have towed 7200 around few weeks ago and it handled nice. I was thinking boat size around 25-27 twin Outboards?  Reason I am thinking that big of boat is because help cut down a little being thrown around by waves being that I have bad hips and back and I am only gonna keep getting worse so I want something comfortable. Needs to be able to cruise at least 30-35 I would think. Well any suggestions that might work for me would be much appreciated . Thank you Blayne...
Blayne
Currently Boat Less..
Home Port: Fairport Marina

St Marys Troller

• Two Rivers Coho 13May17
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Help with new boat
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 08:12:25 PM »

hard to beat a starcraft islander with twin outboards for the lakes....
Poor Boys Outdoors
Joe Picotte
Starcraft 176 Fishmaster
"Gold Troller"
USCG Two Rivers Wisconsin

qbfishon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 05:25:39 AM »

Hey Blaine, You can t go wrong with a Grady White go either a 226seafarer, 232 gulfstream, or 25 Sailfish, you can put twins on either, they have 9.6 beams, 8 on the seafarer, dont need a permit, go with the seav2 hull 93 or newer, I had the 25 its LOA is about 29ft what a graet riding boat can take almost anything with twin 200s 2S it would go 47mph per gps. It drank fuel though with older 2Ses. The draw back is it was hard to load and unload by your self with steep ramps.Im glad I went to the 208 walkaround GW, but it doesnt take the waves like the 25. the Gulfsteam is is the little brother to the 25 Sailfish, but has the same beam 9.6 check out greatgrady.com any questions give me a call or email qb
Quinn Barrios
Grady White 208 Adventurer "Q-Boat"
MY HEROES DONT WEAR CAPES, THEY WEAR DOGTAGS

BiG ARN

• View Profile
    • www.bubbablade.com
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 01:15:14 PM »

My only recommendation...make sure its a fiberglass boat!  Much more flex in rough seas
Captain Aaron Hendrickson
  BiG ARN's Charters LLC
 bigarnscharters@gmail.com
       (906)869-3361
   Boat name: BiG ARN ll
 Marquette,MI/Fairport,MI

Toolman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 07:41:42 PM »

Google Scout boats, they have recently caught my attention.
Ray Uimari
Take Three
Marquette, MI

indifisher

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 08:04:10 PM »

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boats-sale-wanted/461656-1996-grady-white-22seafare.html

Probably would need a re-power soon, but a lot of boat for the money.
Aaron Chamberlain

No matter how beautiful a woman is, someone, somewhere is sick of her sh*t

WCScenario

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 11:45:38 PM »

Thanks guys gonna research grady's now , Thank you for your help I really appreciate it  cool()
Blayne
Currently Boat Less..
Home Port: Fairport Marina

SnIpEr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 08:18:16 AM »

Thanks guys gonna research grady's now , Thank you for your help I really appreciate it  cool()

IMO, your not going to get much of a Grady in the size your lookin for for around 20k with decent power on the back  huh()

BiG ARN

• View Profile
    • www.bubbablade.com
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 10:55:56 AM »

Gradys and whalers....your paying more for the name then anything.  Your not Rich or a gay enough to own one Blayne!!!  LoL
Go find yourself a sportcraft...wellcraft...proline or tiara!
  BiG ARN's Charters LLC
       (906)869-3361
 Marquette,MI/Fairport,MI

qbfishon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 03:17:39 PM »

Thanks Arn, I hope Im rich.............Brad had a GW now a tiara
Quinn Barrios
Grady White 208 Adventurer "Q-Boat"
MY HEROES DONT WEAR CAPES, THEY WEAR DOGTAGS

Scale Chaser

• View Profile
    • Finn Tackle Company
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 05:05:06 PM »

I really liked my Grady and would definitely buy another one if I decide to get a smaller boat in the future.  But for now I'm enjoying my Tiara.  Tiaras are certainly not a cheap boat buy any means and don't make many small models.  You'd probably have to find one 30 years old to get within budget and would be difficult to find one that would fit in Fairport.

IMO some good makes would be Proline, Wellcraft, Hydrasport, Pursuit, Trophy.... just to name a few.

There aren't a lot of boats out there with twin outboards either.  Grady White probably does make the most models with twins, but they're pricey, as mentioned.  Some of the newer Hydrasports are twin outboards as well.  Take a good look at those.  One thing to remember with a large boat is the cost to run them.  If your planning on fishing tons of tournaments like you said the larger the boat the more it costs to run.  Not only on the water but towing it around.  I went from the 20' GW to the 27' Tiara and believe me, quite a huge difference in cost everytime I leave the dock.  What your describing you'd like to do most with this boat I would stick to a boat around 23' with an 8'6" beam.  

I could type on this subject for hours but don't have the time.  I'm always looking on line at boats of many different makes and models.  It seems to be a hobby of mine.  So, if you have any questions feel free to shoot me a PM or just ask here.  I'd be glad to help!
Capt. Brad Muscoe
Marquette, MI
Boat Name: Ella Bella
www.finnspoons.com
Please "Like" us at
http://www.facebook.com/FinnTackleCompany

BiG ARN

• View Profile
    • www.bubbablade.com
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 05:05:13 PM »

No pun intended quinn.....i thought you were loaded!  LoL  :beer:
  BiG ARN's Charters LLC
       (906)869-3361
 Marquette,MI/Fairport,MI

tangent_vector

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 05:59:26 PM »

A budget of $20 K combined with a spec of twin outboards, in a size range of 25-27 feet  will likely only be satisfied with something with two stroke motors, or if it's got four strokes, it will have likely lived in salt for quite a while.

With a budget of $20K, I'd be looking at a 22-24 foot powered by a four stroke and a kicker, anything bigger than that, your into the realm of old and/or salty, which to me never = reliability. 

Don't forget the legal issues of beams wider than 8'6" and how compliance with those laws can dictate when you trailer. 

Keith

Scale Chaser

• View Profile
    • Finn Tackle Company
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2012, 06:12:27 PM »

A budget of $20 K combined with a spec of twin outboards, in a size range of 25-27 feet  will likely only be satisfied with something with two stroke motors, or if it's got four strokes, it will have likely lived in salt for quite a while.

With a budget of $20K, I'd be looking at a 22-24 foot powered by a four stroke and a kicker, anything bigger than that, your into the realm of old and/or salty, which to me never = reliability. 

Don't forget the legal issues of beams wider than 8'6" and how compliance with those laws can dictate when you trailer. 

X2.....all great points! 
Capt. Brad Muscoe
Marquette, MI
Boat Name: Ella Bella
www.finnspoons.com
Please "Like" us at
http://www.facebook.com/FinnTackleCompany

always gone

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2012, 10:00:09 PM »

You would be very lucky to find a decent boat powered by a 4-stroke/plus kicker for less than $20,000....that has not been sitting in salt. Especially in the 22 to 24 foot range. If I was you, i would buy this boat.

http://upangler.com/forums/index.php?topic=5450.0

I am sure it will sell before I get the cash/storage space to pick it up.

I have been looking myself quite hard and have come to the following conclusions:

1. Buy a boat I can trailer and launch easily myself in Houghton, Escanaba, marquette, Munising, Manisitique, Fairport, St Ignace, Grand Marais, menominee, Cedar River, Lanse/Baraga.

2. Buy a boat that my current truck can pull.

3. Buy a boat that I like.

4. Buy a boat that is reliable. If I am heading off shore-I do not want to be worried about anything. Otherwise the trips will not be fun.

5. Fiberglass and as heavy as possible - see above.

6. motor - 4 stroke and as big as the boat will allow

7. Kicker and auto pilot - mandatory and most important.

8. Twin Outboards - expensive and not needed.

For a budget of $20,000 I expect you would be able to get a nice quality fiberglass slightly used boat that would treat you well in the 21 to 23 foot range that is less than 10 years old.
Adam Petrelius
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8