upangler.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Gun Control  (Read 14675 times)

Naptime!

• View Profile
    • Email
Gun Control
« on: January 06, 2013, 02:15:29 PM »

Pretty clear and to the point, even though she doesnt approve of hunting......

Fina Leigh Dunn

• View Profile
Re: Gun Control
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 10:09:30 PM »

Notice the Congressman siting with his head in his hand as she talks about her parents being murdered.  Nice guy, he looked very concerned by the testimony of one of his constituents. :mad:
~Aaron Loehr

MikeM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 11:57:39 AM »

It has been many years since I seen that cartoon about being a bill on capital hill. So I will never claim to know much about bills and laws being made.
But it sure seems like the law makers have tons on their plate. That last minute tax deal was a joke. Just delaying most of it. Which both sides appear to be digging in for a long drawn out fight. So I am not sure how they feel they are going to have a lot of time to deal with gun control. Yet our President has made a promise to do something this month. Delegating it to his Vise President. I do not think they can bring a bill forward in congress until somewhere around the third week of this month. So it appears to me, they either have a plan to throttle a bill through very quickly. Or nothing is going to get done. Maybe like the tax cliff thing. A small bill that delays the real decisions to a later time. With one side set on cutting spending, while the other side set on raising taxes, while both sides looked liked they caved with the tax cliff dead line, it appears to me the trenches dug are going to look like world war one Europe. Lots of shots fired, but not much movement. Dead duck real quick.

2cgood

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 07:58:52 PM »

got home in time to turn on CNN and listen to the fat white rich host ridicule the pro gun activists panel only to hear him admit that where he lives they have an armed guard, im assuming at the "gate"....things that make u go hmmmm...wish someone paid me to be a hypocrite
casey goodman
kipling, mi
Boat: "road commission"  17ft starcraft SFM

MikeM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 09:06:48 AM »

Here is a good example of the problem.
This guy goes after others with a shotgun, he is drunk, he is a convicted felon. Law says he should go to prison for life. But no, they over look the drunk convicted felon having a gun. Charge him with assault. That may get him up to six years. It is just a shame that in ten years when he kills someone, the victims family can not sue the judge for not doing his job.
 They should enforce the laws they have now.
http://www.uppermichiganssource.com/news/story.aspx?id=845011#.UOwmQHf_2O4

bigwater

• MSN Messenger - keithbecker633@live.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 03:15:10 PM »

keith

Naptime!

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 04:35:12 PM »

Here is a good example of the problem.
This guy goes after others with a shotgun, he is drunk, he is a convicted felon. Law says he should go to prison for life. But no, they over look the drunk convicted felon having a gun. Charge him with assault. That may get him up to six years. It is just a shame that in ten years when he kills someone, the victims family can not sue the judge for not doing his job.
 They should enforce the laws they have now.
http://www.uppermichiganssource.com/news/story.aspx?id=845011#.UOwmQHf_2O4

Interesting accounts on this story; one write up says "maximum of 6 years"; the other says "minimum 1.5 years" huh()  But neither give the entire description?

http://www.ironmountaindailynews.com/page/content.detail/id/538559/IR-man-sent-to-prison.html?nav=5002

MikeM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 07:06:45 PM »

Gabrielle Giffords has started a web site to collect money to fight the NRA and get their version of control past.
So it is coming at us from the East, West, and all points in between.

Toolman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 07:46:40 PM »

Interesting that Gifford and her husband are gun owners themselves.
Ray Uimari
Take Three
Marquette, MI

MikeM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 08:24:10 PM »

Interesting that Gifford and her husband are gun owners themselves.

That is true. And what has happened to her, she certainly has earned her opinion.  Also seems to be less radical than some of the others who want to take all guns. But they feel that can match the NRA money wise. Pity it seems the defining of the Constitution comes down to how much money each side can raise.

Camp906

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 11:27:19 PM »

Looks like Wyoming isn't going to put up with a semi-auto ban or magazine restriction. They are trying to make it a felony to enforce one and will even allow their attorney general to defend a resident if prosecuted for such.

http://legisweb.state.wy.us/2013/Introduced/HB0104.pdf

When the people fear their government,  there is tyranny. When the government fears the people,  there is liberty. 
-- Thomas Jefferson

MikeM

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 02:38:51 PM »

Here is how a President gets his gun control laws without a political debate. Takes the NRA out of the picture.

"The president is going to act. Executive orders, executive action, can be taken," Biden told reporters before meetings with groups representing survivors of mass shootings. "We haven't decided what this is yet, but we're compiling it all with the help of the attorney general and all the rest of the Cabinet members."

Just in case you are like me and are not sure what that means.

"A presidential proclamation "states a condition, declares a law and requires obedience, recognizes an event or triggers the implementation of a law."

Fina Leigh Dunn

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 04:15:18 PM »

Pity it seems the defining of the Constitution comes down to how much money each side can raise.

Is this even surprising in an age where our congressmen pass laws that apply to us and them unequally? yet we keep voting for them because they feed us what we are hungry for at election time. Even if the upcoming bill is bordering on unconstitutional, nobody on capitol hill is going to throw themselves in front of that train, in fear that it might mean they won't be re-elected for another term....... even though upholding our constitutional rights is what we expect from them.

A ban is not going to fix our problem, any fool with common sense enough to navigate through the FBI's UCR can tell you that semi auto rifles, that fall under the UCR category of Rifles, were only responsible for 3.7% of firearm homicides in the US in 2011. Now take into account the different types of rifle actions that are grouped into "rifle" and your figures get pretty slim. While 72% of gun homicides were committed with handguns....... but we want to outlaw "Assault weapons with ""CLIPS"" that can hold more than 10 rounds"... GIVE ME A (*&^%$) BREAK..!! Not that I am saying we should ban handguns of any type, but this is just the tip of the iceberg. Once you start looking into the statistics in regard to where the gun homicides are happening and who is committing them, you start to realize that the root of the overall problem is not guns or availability to the law abiding citizen, but rather the way large cities are dealing with crime, offender recidivism and the lack of proper prosecution..... IE: dropping the weapons violation charge for a drug dealer in order to secure a guilty plea on the drug charges... this crap happens every day across our country, just nobody hears about it. But rest assured, the DA will be the first one to tell you how many guilty verdicts he got during his term and how many bad guys he sent away..... he doesn't tell you about the minimum sentences all those bad guys served and how many are back on the streets carrying on as usual. And none of this is taking into account the values our society has formed around violence as a form of entertainment, and the desensitization our children have experienced because of it... Or our decrepit mental health system

Courtesy of MikeM  http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/woman-hiding-kids-shoots-intruder/nTm7s/ ..... this guy has been in the system 6 times since 2008, 7 now....... he really seemed to learn his lesson from the legal system, didn't he? But OOoh, you can't just let this poor man die after a homeowner shoots him in self defense, NOooooO, while he lies there on the ground saying  "Help me. I'm close to dying." we go and call him an ambulance, patch him up on the tax payers dime, give him what equals peanuts for a sentence, then send him back out after he has had a good education in "community college".... WTF are we doing here???

~Aaron Loehr

MikeM

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 01:46:19 PM »

"Vice President Joe Biden says he'll give recommendations to President Obama by Tuesday on how to reduce gun violence."

Of course those are just recommendations. Not instant law. But it will be interesting to see what these recommendations are.

And for guys like Ray who feel the 2nd amendment is for weapons of the time period. We should only be allowed to have muskets. I will have to delete anything you post on here. Because when the first amendment was written, there were no computers or world wide web. Sorry bud.  :poke:

Toolman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 05:28:44 PM »

Sorry it took so long for me to read your post Mike, I was out back grazing with the other sheep!  When I was full I took some time to dig a fox hole, I figure I will have a better chance defending myself from my government from in there.   :poke:  grin()
Ray Uimari
Take Three
Marquette, MI
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8